Corporals Test - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Corporals Test

Re: Corporals Test

Let's go easy on the Admin because there are changes coming. It couldn't be done this time because the test was already in motion. I congratulate anyone who gets Corporal (honestly who wants it?), and I will help them as I would help anyone. I appreciate that changes are coming, people spoke and the chief listened from what I understand. So lighten up.

Change should be a welcomed addition at the PD because too many on this department are already retired on their feet. The department has very low morale (evident by this and other threads), high turnover, and excessive sick time usage. Unfortunately, the type of change needed here must start at the top. Filling the future vacant spots with more of the same is not going to help matters much. I like the idea of younger blood coming into the supervision fold because perhaps they can eventually implement the change that is desperately needed here.

In the meantime, focus on your particular job at the PD and do it to the best of your ability. It may go unnoticed by supervisors, but your co-workers will let you know how valuable you are to them and the shift. They may not come out and say it directly to you, but you'll recognize it when they come to you for advice/help with one of their investigations.

so easy even a Cop can do it

Do not worry about getting your degree. You are right,,,it does not make us a better cop or supervisor. But it does stand for things foreign to your understanding such as COMMITMENT & ABILITY TO FINISH WHAT YOU START& DEDICATION. If anyone dare say that you truly demonstrated these things over the years than you have put up a mighty front. Granted,,,it is an expensive piece of paper. But you cannot purchase the attributes mentioned above and the particular ones among us I am thinking about do not truly possess these things in your personalities. Some of you hide in the corner in silence scrambling for scraps of specialized positions and 'thrown bones' just to keep you happy while the rest open your bigmouths and shout unfair rhetoric. The talk is cheap and it stinks and is devoid of real logic. I do not sell my soul to supervisors or care what you think of sergeants and corporals or lieutenants. Because at the end of the day only we lose. Only we have to hump calls in the heat,,,do what they tell us to do,,,,and squeeze the bitter milk of pay every Thursday from the teet of the City.

They make teachers and lawyers and doctors get degrees. Is it so hard for cops to get one??,,can only a caveman do it? ((courtesy of Geico)) Refusing to get a degree knowing that society and our bosses want us to have one is a sign of anarchy and deceit,,,,,,are these good character traits of cops? So yes I got my degree and I do not expect to get promoted because of it. I expect to get promoted on my own hard work and ability to follow promotional test instructions that are given to me. I feel betrayed and look down upon my coworkers who spit on college education which I and so many others worked so hard to obtain. Not only do the bosses expect it of you but so does your zone partner. Please do not continue to be average your whole life,,, it sucks to be last.

Re: so easy even a Cop can do it

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gecko
    Not only do the bosses expect it of you but so does your zone partner. Please do not continue to be average your whole life,,, it sucks to be last.
    Gordon, while I generally agree with the point you were trying to make, you couldn't be more wrong with the above statement. Our bosses don't particularly care if you have a degree or not. Don't believe me? Stand by for the upcoming sergeant requirements. Commissioned officers in our military are required to have a four degree for the reasons that you mentioned. Does a degree in biology make you more versed in FSS or tactics? Of course not, but completing a degree program teaches many different things and helps build qualities that a good leader should possess.

I agree that a college degree does not correlate to ones intelligence or leadership abilities but there should be higher standards of those who want to be promoted. I have no sympathy for anyone who has enough time to get promoted but failed to prepare themselves for it. I guess in a time where entitlements have become common those of us who sacrificed to achieve the minimum standards are the real idiots.

confused

KMN,,,,

By bosses I do not necessarily mean the police department bosses. Whether we are police officers or civilians we will always have a boss and a boss above the boss. Believe me and I will be willing to bet my badge that the highest boss we will ever have where ever we work will want us to have a degree. Case in point: go to any top leading agency anywhere in the US. look at the top admin and look at their bios. All have bachelors or in many cases now masters in something or another. Please ask any of them whether they want everyone from the top down to the bottom to have a degree. Tell some Chief or Major or Captain that you deserve to be promoted based on your 'street smarts' or 'common sense'. Lets see how long you have their attention. The bottom line is that no valid case will be made and no remarkable change of heart will ever go backwards in terms of not requiring a degree to advance past basic patrolman. Unless you want to patrol the swamps of Louisiana or cite farmers for not tagging their cattle in Wyoming,,,you will not advance in a modern police department. The next potential CM holds a masters degree. He will be the boss of the next police chief. Highly educated Adminstrators will have a difficult time lowering standards and not requiring degrees that took them thousands of dollars or hours of writing and lost personal time to acheieve. Could that be hypocritical? or even worse a sign that they let lazy officers persuade them enough to drop standards which would show leadership weakness. So please be more clear on what you mean by the bosses do not care if we have a degree or not.

Gordon, I agree with your last post 100% and I hope that your take on our future leadership is correct. When you said bosses, I was mistaken and thought you meant OUR bosses. I agree that bosses (in general) typically would rather have staff/management/supervisors possess a degree.

Lets look over the years at the highly college educated people that have come to work for us and they were no more able to do this job (patrol level) then a trained hampster. I could go over the list of who no longer works here and tell you what their pitfalls were, but Im not here to bash anyone.Someone indicated in an earlier post that getting your education showed commitment, ability to finish what you start, and dedication. These 3 statements could be used for alot of things in life. Remember we have quite a few ofcs that had the luxury of having their folks support them and pay for them to go to school prior to getting employed. Some folks took advantage of the reimbersement program the city had, esp the folks who have offices in the PD. While others were humping calls, those others were getting paid to get higher educations on the clock. I do commend the ofcs, who had paid out of pocket, put their home lives on hold to better themselves with their schooling. I am college educated, but i will not bash others who have not/did not get their schooling. I seem to remember a senior cpl, who recently retired, who did not have a college degree, yet he was highly respected, capable, and trusted ( in all supervisor responsiblities). For Golden, you stress the importance of degrees, yet only 4 of the 13 degreed ofcs were able to pass the written test. Im sure the PD expected with everyone having degrees that all should have passed. Does a degree make you smarter, a better leader, and more respected amongst your peers/admin? Im not convienced.

golden says your zone partner expects you to have college degrees. so when your zoney or back up shows up on the next call, ask them about their education and demand to see their dipolma...HA, give me experience anyday. i don't care if you have a PHD, just help out in the zone, be a good alert backup, and dont run away when the sh%t hits the fan!

I think only military vets should get promoted. Everyone else is a coward.

The current City Manager has no degree.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast