New Director

Thread: New Director

New Director

Will Deputy Director Smith have to retire now that he has been passed over for the Director's position?

Re: New Director

Quote Originally Posted by worfusa2008
    Will Deputy Director Smith have to retire now that he has been passed over for the Director's position?

Were there some skeletons in his closet that caused him to be passed over?

:?:

Just a question about current protocol. I am not aware, directly or indirectly of any skeletons. I just seem to recall that, back in the day, if you were the DD and you were passed over for the Director's position, you were expected to retire. Where else are you going to go? With age comes fuzzy recollection so I may be completely wrong. I have been gone a while.

Apparently AT received an off-color e-mail on the usss system but DID NOT forward it. So if this is correct That's The Rest of the Story.

AT Smith had some other skeletons in his closet that went beyond the email forwarding. His problems date back to a 2002 U.S. News and World Report article that chronicled huge problems at the USSS, particularly the bad management. He was named specifically for having an affair with a member of the White House staff (who is a member of the Clinton family and his now wife) while he was a supervisor on the president's detail, specifically the detail leader for then First Lady Hillary Clinton. His acts of "trust and confidence" we're so brazen that he was showing up at WH functions with his mistress while everyone knew he was still married. That went to show that the rank and file has no avenue for addressing issues with staff because management was literally, in Smith's case, in bed with the staff.

Normally that kind of exposure would kill someone's career but in his case it catapulted it. After that article he was promoted to a GS-15 and the became the SES SAIC of the NY field office shortly thereafter. He then did a couple stints in various AD slots and is now the Deputy Director. First-class leadership at the USSS.