SOT Training - Page 10
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: SOT Training

Re: SOT Training

Quote Originally Posted by HCSO Dep
    Average Joe,

I believe you are referring to the first few SOT classes years back when they began. Those first few had only a few people making it through the hazing. However, In the past 2-3 years, SOT has been run properly and they are not running people off and breaking them down. In my SOT class, we started with approximately 30 and lost a few in SOT and a couple in the academy, leaving us with 25 (give or take) that got sworn in. I fully support the two week SOT program as it is currently designed, but we need to hire laterals and not require the six month academy.

I'm tired of being over-worked and under-appreciated out there. Property and ILP want us writing more street checks and documenting more and more, yet we are running a skeleton crew. If they had it their way, I'd be writing my entire shift. Aint gonna happen! :devil:

I think if you ask around you will find the staff has been replaced with the new class that reported on July 7th.

The Training Division has had consistent staffing over the past few years. Just like any other assignment, some come and go or get promoted. They pull "volunteers" to assist with SOT, so those temporary gigs are going to have different people each time.

None of the hazing or excessive bullying has happened since the first few SOT classes.

I am aware of the SOT and what goes on there. Two weeks of basic training like circumstances. I think this is an excellent way to weed out the unmotivated and those who won't ever care about being physically fit.
    Then why is it that I continually see grossly overweight officers patrolling Hillsborough County?
    I always thought is a law enforcement officer/deputy's obligation to be physically fit not only so they can help themselves and the citizens they protect and serve, but their fellow officers as well.
    By the way, I am not talking about the person that is 10-15 lbs overweight and they can still do their duties. So, during annual inservice training- it always amazed me how those who couldn't run without their jelly rolls bouncing about and sweating like they were going to have a heart attack are still putting years towards retirement and allowed to work and misrepresent a real law enforcement officer on a daily basis. And it is a well known fact that in service training produces a lot of physical fitness failures. It was to my bewilderment that nothing ever happened to these deputies and they will be back to work.
    Is it between HIPPA and these deputy's doctors that there are well kept secrets and medical waivers?
    Anyway, I'm retired now but I am disappointed, and at times, grossed out when I see some of 'Hillsborough's Finest' looking disgusting in their uniforms. I really hope that if I ever have to dial 911, I will be fortunate and fit and competent deputy responds. Otherwise, I'll have to use my old training and get out my cuffs and gun.

31 started on July 7, as of today only 21 remain.

It's the heat. They wouldn't have lost 10 if it wasn't a million degrees outside each day in the middle of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    31 started on July 7, as of today only 21 remain.
    So 10 are gone and there's still a few more days of SOT to go. So, along with those that have already bowed out I wonder how many usually fail out of the academy or FTO? Like I said before A.J., the numbers of people coming in aren't going to add up to the number of one's leaving. I spoke to an old friend of mine the other day who is still employed at HCSO and they told me that one of the district had a grand total of 6 units longed on the other day for a day shift, 2 supervisors and 4 deputies. That's just crazy. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    It's the heat. They wouldn't have lost 10 if it wasn't a million degrees outside each day in the middle of the summer.

The break down was 4 ran the bell on their own and 6 were dropped for medical condition(s).

I am retiring from the Army (24 years) in about 8 mos and have started the process to be a part of HCSO. I realize I may not be the most qualified to speak on it but I personally welcome the thought of SOT. I often get asked how could I as a Sergeant Major being willing to go through SOT. No big deal to me and think it will be fun. Given that most 'rites of passages' I have witnessed in the military generally work and do contribute to a better candidate upon completion. I do have a question that hope I can get answered sooner before doing the entire hiring process to find out I am DQ'd. I have color deficiency and normally cannot pass the Ishihara Test (cluster of dots where you state what number you see) and not sure if this is the test HCSO uses or if having color deficiency is an issue. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Good question Sgt. Major. If no one answers call (813)247-8000 and ask for Recruitment and Screening. They will answer that for you.

And I thank you for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Good question Sgt. Major. If no one answers call (813)247-8000 and ask for Recruitment and Screening. They will answer that for you.

And I thank you for your service.
    Average Joe - I asked a Det in Recruitment and Screening and he could not recall which test was used.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast