SOT Training - Page 9
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: SOT Training

Re: SOT Training

The academy is not waived for prior LE. That is the ridiculous part and no wonder it takes so long for hired deputies to make it to the street and the office is still short 200. Makes no sense whatsoever.

The office is short 336. Not 200.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong guess
    The office is short 336. Not 200.
    Whether it's 200, 336 or somewhere in the middle that's a lot of personnel to be down. What's the average SOT size class, 20 or 30 people? Out of that class there is always a few that never make it out of training so for the sake of argument let's say the average class results in 20ish people making it through the entire training process. From the time they start the SOT until they are finished with the academy, module, and FTO almost a year has flown by. How many SOT classes are held each year? 2 or 3, maybe even 4?

During that year it would stand to reason that there are AT LEAST 25 (and I would bet more) deputies that leave the office for one reason or another, whether it's retirement, found something better/else to do with their lives or for disciplinary reasons. Even if there is some type of net gain personnel wise with numbers like this my old math skills tell me that it's going to take a very, very long time for the numbers to equal out. Meanwhile, you guys and gals on the street will continue to work shorter than a one legged midget on a carnival side show. :shock:

Be safe out there my old compadres!

TNB, words has it that they had to replace the SOT staff due to so many dropping out. We have had classes in which as few as 8-10 were left.

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    TNB, words has it that they had to replace the SOT staff due to so many dropping out. We have had classes in which as few as 8-10 were left.
    8 or 10 per class A.J.? I left just over a year ago and I can personally name off at least 20 people that left after I did. Take into account the one's that left that I know nothing about and with numbers like this the deputies on the street are screwed. The numbers will NEVER equal out even using fuzzy math.

Hiring laterals would sure help fill the open spots faster. Sounds like there are plenty of experienced guys looking to get into HCSO.

[quote=The Nitely Blog]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Average Joe":zlu9zhjc
    8 or 10 per class A.J.? I left just over a year ago and I can personally name off at least 20 people that left after I did. Take into account the one's that left that I know nothing about and with numbers like this the deputies on the street are screwed. The numbers will NEVER equal out even using fuzzy math. [/quote:zlu9zhjc]

They start with 20. They were upset that so many were dropping out so they changed instructors. SOT is to build friendship among your class, not destroy a person which is what was happeniing.

[quote=Average Joe][quote="The Nitely Blog":m2mwvm45]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Average Joe":m2mwvm45
    8 or 10 per class A.J.? I left just over a year ago and I can personally name off at least 20 people that left after I did. Take into account the one's that left that I know nothing about and with numbers like this the deputies on the street are screwed. The numbers will NEVER equal out even using fuzzy math. [/quote:m2mwvm45]

They start with 20. They were upset that so many were dropping out so they changed instructors. SOT is to build friendship among your class, not destroy a person which is what was happeniing.[/quote:m2mwvm45]
    Average Joe: if you don't work here anymore, you might be out of the loop a bit. SOT is not to breed friendship. It's to separate the committed from the casual job seekers. I think the rumor about instructor turnover is highly exaggerated...

Dear Guest. That may be had been at one time but why do you think they changed SOT staff for the class that started today?

They old staff were trying to see how many they could run out. Thus we were losing half the class. That is not the point of SOT. The point is to train them hard and left them come to rely on each other. You let those who want to ring the bell ring it, but you don't encourage them to ring it.

Average Joe,

I believe you are referring to the first few SOT classes years back when they began. Those first few had only a few people making it through the hazing. However, In the past 2-3 years, SOT has been run properly and they are not running people off and breaking them down. In my SOT class, we started with approximately 30 and lost a few in SOT and a couple in the academy, leaving us with 25 (give or take) that got sworn in. I fully support the two week SOT program as it is currently designed, but we need to hire laterals and not require the six month academy.

I'm tired of being over-worked and under-appreciated out there. Property and ILP want us writing more street checks and documenting more and more, yet we are running a skeleton crew. If they had it their way, I'd be writing my entire shift. Aint gonna happen! :devil:

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast