SOT Training - Page 6
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: SOT Training

Re: SOT Training

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    You mean a slush fund used for pay increases when every other agency has gone years without anything? Good idea, love it!
    Your thought process is exactly why HCSO is so severely lacking these days in the type of deputies that hold job satisfaction and loyalty to fellow deputies over a few extra bucks in their pocket. Sure, everybody likes a pay raise now & then, but when money means more to the Leo's at a law enforcement agency, rather then a solidly based Brotherhood within the ranks, this is when trust & loyalty take a nose dive.

Any deputy or supervisor that has been around at the office for quite a few years, knows exactly what I mean by the above statement. I mean, where have all the tight knit friendships and support for one another gone to? I never remember a time when so many fellow deputies & supervisors absolutely dread coming to work! It's as if coming to work is a form of punishment.

Working the street as a law enforcement officer used to be a tremendous thrill that did not compare to any other type of experience in life. It was a job that you either loved with a passion or did not like because you were simply not cut out for it. I don't ever remember a time when I could not separate the two, or wrap my head around the fact that HCSO has now become nothing more then a JOB for so many people.

Until this mentality changes, along with the current leadership that has allowed this to happen, I see nothing positive in the near future at HCSO. Time to retire for me.
    Sounds like a great idea. Good luck to you in your second life and I hope you find the peace you seek and deserve.

You mean a slush fund used for pay increases when every other agency has gone years without anything? Good idea, love it!
    Your thought process is exactly why HCSO is so severely lacking these days in the type of deputies that hold job satisfaction and loyalty to fellow deputies over a few extra bucks in their pocket. Sure, everybody likes a pay raise now & then, but when money means more to the Leo's at a law enforcement agency, rather then a solidly based Brotherhood within the ranks, this is when trust & loyalty take a nose dive.

Any deputy or supervisor that has been around at the office for quite a few years, knows exactly what I mean by the above statement. I mean, where have all the tight knit friendships and support for one another gone to? I never remember a time when so many fellow deputies & supervisors absolutely dread coming to work! It's as if coming to work is a form of punishment.

Working the street as a law enforcement officer used to be a tremendous thrill that did not compare to any other type of experience in life. It was a job that you either loved with a passion or did not like because you were simply not cut out for it. I don't ever remember a time when I could not separate the two, or wrap my head around the fact that HCSO has now become nothing more then a JOB for so many people.

Until this mentality changes, along with the current leadership that has allowed this to happen, I see nothing positive in the near future at HCSO. Time to retire for me.
    Precisely correct.

There was a time when squad parties were commonplace. There was a time when if a squad member was seriously ill or injured that the rest of the squad gave time and money to assist the family. They would bring food, mow lawns, run errands and just visit to give encouragement.

I know of an ailing retiree who has received offers from former squad partners to come from several states away to provide whatever needs to be done around the house while the retiree recovers.

That's what brotherhood is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Happily gone.
    There was a time when if a squad member was seriously ill or injured that the rest of the squad gave time and money to assist the family. They would bring food, mow lawns, run errands and just visit to give encouragement.That's what brotherhood is about.[/b][/color]

Part of the reason I retired as well my man. I spent a few weeks in the hospital and a few months on short term disability not long before I retired. I can count on one hand the fellow co-workers who stopped by or called me while I was out. Luckily I healed up 100% and am able to enjoy my life away from the HCSO nowadays. Lying in a hospital bed for a few weeks gives ya time to think on what is important in life.

I don't ever remember a time when I could not separate the two, or wrap my head around the fact that HCSO has now become nothing more then a JOB for so many people.
    I love my job as a cop, but in the end it is just a job. You're just another number to the administration that can be easily replaced by a new recruit. Why should anyone treat it as more than a job when those at the top don't view it as a family?

Those people who eat, sleep, and breathe law enforcement for their entire lives and truly think they're on-duty 24/7 are the ones who end up having a heart attack and dying two years after they retire.

Think of it as just a job. You'll have less stress and live longer!

I think some would argue if the staff looks at the troops as family or if they do not. My question would be, why does it matter? If you and I are the worker bees, down in the pits getting it done, can we not take care of each other no matter the opinion of those above us? The staff is running a business, and I would say doing a fairly good job. My health care rates have not gone through the roof, I still have a retirement plan that is covered, and for the last several years we have all seen some sort of raise or lump sum payment. The problem is not the staff. They provide a mission and guidelines. The problem lies in the middle management, the supervisors, the lack of leaders. Cpl, Sgt, Lt. They are all so hung up on getting the next promotion, they are afraid to ask questions. They are afraid to suggest change. They refuse to ask their people "what do you need to get the job done", "how can I help you". A leader is put in place to guide and provide, not because they are the best and smartest person to ever put on a uniform. Too many think they are given rank and title so that others must bow down to them, they are given rank to provide for the people under them, and lead the way by example. Our staff provides, the middle has failed to lead. In the mean time, you and I can take care of each other, and go home knowing you did the right thing. In the end we have to live with ourselves, so don't fold under the pressure of the non-leading "supervisor" who is just out for the next title. We can be a family in spite of them.

Quote Originally Posted by does not matter
    I think some would argue if the staff looks at the troops as family or if they do not. My question would be, why does it matter? If you and I are the worker bees, down in the pits getting it done, can we not take care of each other no matter the opinion of those above us? The staff is running a business, and I would say doing a fairly good job. My health care rates have not gone through the roof, I still have a retirement plan that is covered, and for the last several years we have all seen some sort of raise or lump sum payment. The problem is not the staff. They provide a mission and guidelines. The problem lies in the middle management, the supervisors, the lack of leaders. Cpl, Sgt, Lt. They are all so hung up on getting the next promotion, they are afraid to ask questions. They are afraid to suggest change. They refuse to ask their people "what do you need to get the job done", "how can I help you". A leader is put in place to guide and provide, not because they are the best and smartest person to ever put on a uniform. Too many think they are given rank and title so that others must bow down to them, they are given rank to provide for the people under them, and lead the way by example. Our staff provides, the middle has failed to lead. In the mean time, you and I can take care of each other, and go home knowing you did the right thing. In the end we have to live with ourselves, so don't fold under the pressure of the non-leading "supervisor" who is just out for the next title. We can be a family in spite of them.
    You make some very valid points and I applaud your opinion, which is quite accurate on some things. I agree that middle management needs to do a better job of things on the street etc, but it still does not excuse the fact that upper management has also failed to provide encouragement and motivation other then by intimidation. As for supervisors only out to move up, totally agree. It gets old when you see the same couple of supervisors get all the breaks and move up the ladder almost monthly it seems. It's not hard to pick out the few that are so politically connected and up certain leaders azzes that it makes one sick to their stomach. when management does this, it sends a negative message that they could care less about how these supervisors actually lead....or for the most part fail to lead their people. The last several years or more have shown many people that this office no longer cares about the deputies who have spent many years busting their butts for this community and to help rid the streets of hardened criminals. Some of the deputies that this office has literally tossed aside over the past few years or more is absolutely nothing short of sickening. I'm sure that some of the upper brass have no clue about the deputies I am referring to, because they no longer even take the time to talk to their troops or even care about what has been allowed to happen to some really dedicated deputies. The only good thing is that this current leadership will eventually be replaced and new blood will thankfully be voted into office in the future. Personally, this can't happen quick enough. Yes, this office has made the position of law enforcement deputy nothing more then a "JOB" nowadays. To many of us, that's such a sin, especially when you think of the deputies that have devoted their lives to this office and who genuinely spilled their blood in an effort to stand side by side with their fellow brothers.....who they also looked upon as being their second family. Stay safe all, and just know that some of us have not forgotten what the "thin blue line' really stands for.

Yepper, we are all awaiting the coronation in 5 years of our own version of the Great Gatsby. I am sure it will be nirvana on our own little "Long Island." At least we will have better parties. :lol:

So if your already Florida certified you just attend the SOT and that's it? Or do you have to redue the academy again?

SOT is the prelim to the Academy. After SOT it is the full academy. Sorry!

Getting through SOT is going to be the tough part.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast