SOT Training
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SOT Training

SOT Training

Reaching out to those that have attended the SOT Training. I understand its 2 weeks long, but wonder what the 2 weeks are like.

Is it a week of physical activity with a week of classroom training? Is it up at 5am and lights out at 10pm? Other than what is shown on the YouTube video, is there anything else that one should expect other than the DI's in your face?

Thank you for your time with these questions, and any valuable input.

Re: SOT Training

It is two weeks (10 days), with the weekend off in the middle. It is basically up at 5AM and lights out at 10PM, as you mentioned. I've heard they alter the schedule and activities to fit the performance of the SOT class, but each class will generally be doing much of the same.

The day starts with physical training in the morning, but remember you will basically be jogging everywhere you go the remainder of the day. The rest of the day consists of marching/drill, team building exercises, firearms training, and some classroom activities. The SOT instructors are very strict, with the entire premise that approximately 30 individuals arrive the first night and one solid team departs on the last day. You will succeed and fail as a team. This will include trips to the "beach", where you will be put in the sand to do push ups, jumping jacks, etc... When I look back on SOT, it was a great experience and many of the activities and punishments are designed to push you to your maximum and see if you will exert a little more effort rather than giving up.

It was a great experience that instills discipline and respect into each recruit. It also provides a sense of accomplishment and you will be proud to be a member of your SOT class. Each activity has an underlying principle that you will learn, and you may not understand the benefit it provided until you're well out of SOT and into the academy or even on the street.

I personally believe you can tell the difference between a deputy who graduated SOT and a deputy who came through before SOT. It doesn't mean that either is superior to the other, but I think you see more positive work ethic and discipline from SOT graduates. This is simply my opinion of the SOT program from my own experience. I thought it was fairly difficult at the time (you just have to play their game), but looking back it was fun, challenging, and I made lifelong friends during those two weeks.

If you have any other questions that I didn't cover, please feel free to ask. The video on the website is an excellent indication of what to expect. If you are hired, the training you will receive from HCSO is second to none.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LE Dep
    It is two weeks (10 days), with the weekend off in the middle. It is basically up at 5AM and lights out at 10PM, as you mentioned. I've heard they alter the schedule and activities to fit the performance of the SOT class, but each class will generally be doing much of the same.

The day starts with physical training in the morning, but remember you will basically be jogging everywhere you go the remainder of the day. The rest of the day consists of marching/drill, team building exercises, firearms training, and some classroom activities. The SOT instructors are very strict, with the entire premise that approximately 30 individuals arrive the first night and one solid team departs on the last day. You will succeed and fail as a team. This will include trips to the "beach", where you will be put in the sand to do push ups, jumping jacks, etc... When I look back on SOT, it was a great experience and many of the activities and punishments are designed to push you to your maximum and see if you will exert a little more effort rather than giving up.

It was a great experience that instills discipline and respect into each recruit. It also provides a sense of accomplishment and you will be proud to be a member of your SOT class. Each activity has an underlying principle that you will learn, and you may not understand the benefit it provided until you're well out of SOT and into the academy or even on the street.

I personally believe you can tell the difference between a deputy who graduated SOT and a deputy who came through before SOT. It doesn't mean that either is superior to the other, but I think you see more positive work ethic and discipline from SOT graduates. This is simply my opinion of the SOT program from my own experience. I thought it was fairly difficult at the time (you just have to play their game), but looking back it was fun, challenging, and I made lifelong friends during those two weeks.

If you have any other questions that I didn't cover, please feel free to ask. The video on the website is an excellent indication of what to expect. If you are hired, the training you will receive from HCSO is second to none.

Good luck!
    Thank you for one of the best responses I've read in a long time! Very informative and great first hand insight. I'll definitely reach out to you should I have any further questions! THANK YOU once again!

I just puked all over myself..... :lol:

Ummmmmm. Poisitive work ethics and discipline? I have never seen more rookies scared to make a decsion, scared of their own shadows,scared to try to find the answer on their own using their resources but have to run to the supervisor for everything. Teamwork? Their is no teamwork with them. All for yourself and screw the rest of the squad. Too afraid to go to regular calls or do traffic stops on their own and constantly "needing" a 94. Having to ask a supervisor about every little thing to do on a call instead of putting your cop hat on and just doing what needs to be done. Fresh rookies saying on the radio "I'm not close but I guess I can be x51 to that call" , that have been here a year and a half and claim they are burned out. Seriously? How easy is it now? Golf can't take a call in Hotel or they get in trouble, even if Hotel is slammmed and Golf is all x8.
    Not to mention supervisors that used to be good turning into weak people with no backbone. I've always loved D3, but maybe the grass is greener in another district.
    Sorry about the rant and getting of topic. But basically I am saying that SOT is a waste of time and resources.

The new deputies in D4 are solid. Sorry to hear of your experiences in D3...

Glad to hear you got some good ones there in D4. It is also possible that they came out of SOT good and D3 ruined them. It does have a way of doing that. But thats a whole nother conversation......

Quick question - Is SOT necessary, if you go through the academy on your own dime?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quick question - Is SOT necessary, if you go through the academy on your own dime?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Yes
    Thank you sir!

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast