Bond Type: BD

Warrant:

322.32-4

REFUSE TO SURRENDER SUSPENDED DRIVERS LICENSE

Bond Amount: 25

Bond Type: BD

Warrant:

Re: Broward Trooper Arrests Man for releasing Helium Balloon

I think this case is a valuable example of how the media doesn't always tell the whole story and sometimes twists stories to make them more sensational.

Scenario: You're a reasonably intelligent person. You read the headline "Love hurts: Man arrested for releasing helium balloon with his girlfriend" Immediately you assume (and rightfully so) that this person was arrested simply for letting some balloons go. You continue to read the article and it describes how the Trooper saw Brasfield release the balloons and place him under arrest. You're left with the conclusion that a Trooper saw someone release some balloons and arrest him just for that. Except, that's not exactly what happened. The story never mentions the fact that Brasfield was allegedly driving with a suspended license with two prior convictions (a felony) and allegedly possessed a suspended/revoked license (a misdemeanor). So, Brasfield was going to jail for the felony even if he wasn't a Balloon-Releasing Romeo.

I'm not saying the charge is right (I don't think it is) but even if he didn't release balloons he would still have been arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I think this case is a valuable example of how the media doesn't always tell the whole story and sometimes twists stories to make them more sensational.

Scenario: You're a reasonably intelligent person. You read the headline "Love hurts: Man arrested for releasing helium balloon with his girlfriend" Immediately you assume (and rightfully so) that this person was arrested simply for letting some balloons go. You continue to read the article and it describes how the Trooper saw Brasfield release the balloons and place him under arrest. You're left with the conclusion that a Trooper saw someone release some balloons and arrest him just for that. Except, that's not exactly what happened. The story never mentions the fact that Brasfield was allegedly driving with a suspended license with two prior convictions (a felony) and allegedly possessed a suspended/revoked license (a misdemeanor). So, Brasfield was going to jail for the felony even if he wasn't a Balloon-Releasing Romeo.

I'm not saying the charge is right (I don't think it is) but even if he didn't release balloons he would still have been arrested.
    Really, so what PC would the trooper have had if not the ballon release?

The answer is nothing.

Chicken shit charge from an chicken shit trooper.

Good to see that the FHP is tough on crime!

What would you think if Wildlife had made this arrest?

The same.

The other two charges were well enough. The Balloon thing could have been a simple "littering" law violation to make contact. The charge looks like a petty attempt to shaft the 10-15, not like a legit arrest. Had he gone with the other two charges and perhaps a ticket for littering, then this would have never even been published.

The same.

The other two charges were well enough. The Balloon thing could have been a simple "littering" law violation to make contact. The charge looks like a petty attempt to shaft the 10-15, not like a legit arrest. Had he gone with the other two charges and perhaps a ticket for littering, then this would have never even been published.
    The trooper would not have had any reason to even stop the car and further if this guy let ballons go into the air he must have been in a parking lot area outside of the car. Looks like this trooper sat and watched rather than take immediate action of the original charge. Instead the trooper sits there watching all this and waits for the guy to get into the car to drive away, or did the trooper not even see the guy drive and went over and got his ID and than found out the license is suspended and charged him with that.

Besides these freaking ballons can't be that bad for the wildlife and they sure as hell do not effect humans because look at all the sporting events the governemtn lets release litterly hundreds of ballons into the air.

At most the trooper should have just informed the person of the law and left it at that without even requesting their ID.

What next are troopers going to start doing road blocks requesting your papers? Oh wait, FHP already does that as well. Looks like America is no longer free any more.

Our founding fathers are spinning in their graves at what America has become.

What if he pulled him over after he got out of his car. Then said F' U cop and let the balloons just to spite the officers commands. Non of us know. He is a felon and we all know only certain charges will stick and the rest will get thrown out. As usual.

I didn't even know that was a crim,e and I've been a deputy for 25 years. First and formost . it's not a traffic crime. So why it's a highway patrol man going outside the scope of his or her job.

the guy was doing a romantic gesture. gimme a break. I believe adultery is still on the books as well. any takers? The state attorney will drop it but what an embarrassment to the FHP

The same.

This makes sense.................

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast