FDLE opinion on off duty CCW by A-men
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FDLE opinion on off duty CCW by A-men

FDLE General Counsel opinion on HB218 from August 2012.

Please see page three, first paragraph. It pertains to A-men. Just a little research for you doubters.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...-2012-(1).aspx

I'm just passing this along. Don't shoot the messenger. (pun intended) :snicker:

Re: FDLE opinion on off duty CCW by A-men

The opinion of the DHSMV Senior Assistant General Counsel dated May 4, 2011 (DHSMV Docket No.: 20 11-0003891) states that retired FHPA are permitted to carry concealed
    weapons pursuant to HR 218.

Just a little research...

If you are trying to make the point that auxiliary troopers are not the same as "real troopers", that point has already been made in Florida Statutes and FHP policy. We are there to assist the full-time troopers. If I have made a trooper's day safer and more productive then I have done my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    The opinion of the DHSMV Senior Assistant General Counsel dated May 4, 2011 (DHSMV Docket No.: 20 11-0003891) states that retired FHPA are permitted to carry concealed

If you are trying to make the point that auxiliary troopers are not the same as "real troopers", that point has already been made in Florida Statutes and FHP policy. We are there to assist the full-time troopers. If I have made a trooper's day safer and more productive then I have done my job.
    Good luck getting FHP to qualify you to carry. FHP has refused many retired troopers to qualify to carry under the federal law. Why? Who knows.

Ok, I'll bite.

Your DHSMV ASSISTANT GC in the year 2011
    FDLE General Counsel in the year 2012

Which is more senior?
    Which is more recent?
    Which one is not connected to FHPA?

Exactly.

The opinion of the DHSMV Senior Assistant General Counsel dated May 4, 2011 (DHSMV Docket No.: 20 11-0003891) states that retired FHPA are permitted to carry concealed weapons pursuant to HR 218.

Do you happen to have a copy of a link to the opinion from May 4 2011?? Please let me know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest7
    The opinion of the DHSMV Senior Assistant General Counsel dated May 4, 2011 (DHSMV Docket No.: 20 11-0003891) states that retired FHPA are permitted to carry concealed weapons pursuant to HR 218.

Do you happen to have a copy of a link to the opinion from May 4 2011?? Please let me know. Thanks.
    It won't be on the Internet. It can be accessed from the Department's Intranet. From the Intranet you'll need to go to General Counsel then Legal Bulletins, then reference the Docket Number above.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest7

It won't be on the Internet. It can be accessed from the Department's Intranet. From the Intranet you'll need to go to General Counsel then Legal Bulletins, then reference the Docket Number above.

Thanks.

Unregistered
    Strangely, an AUX, everyone, has to qualify annually on the FHP range for/with their "off duty/backup" yet the requirements also want you to have badge, handcuffs, etc etc almost to the point of better to be in uniform.....duh.
    All in all its better to have the State issued Concealed Weapons Permit as it lasts longer and you can carry any weapon.
    The HB "also" might be ok but the CWP appears to be the better thing to have

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Strangely, an AUX, everyone, has to qualify annually on the FHP range for/with their "off duty/backup" yet the requirements also want you to have badge, handcuffs, etc etc almost to the point of better to be in uniform.....duh.
    All in all its better to have the State issued Concealed Weapons Permit as it lasts longer and you can carry any weapon.
    The HB "also" might be ok but the CWP appears to be the better thing to have
    Agreed. Although the handcuffs are just a recommendation, not required. All FHP requires is that while armed you are in possession of your ID and badge. But, you are 100% right in that it's a good idea for all LEOS of any type to get a Florida Concealed Weapons Permit. For one, you don't have to wait three days to buy a handgun with a CWP.

Unregistered
    FYI

You can try any agency who qualifies retirees under HR 218 to certify you. I am a retired LEO from South Florida also have a FL CCF permit.. but now live in Cherokee County Georgia. I also live on the west coast of Florida during winter etc. In Cherokee County Ga , they give ALL retired LEOS free concealed weapons permits. I also get certified yearly under HR 218..si I can travel without question around the USA.. with no problems. Many agencies in Georgia do this including Cherokee County.. most of the time I have a neighbor Sgt from Forsyth Count SO certify me yearly. There Georgia POST sends you a card every year with the certification.. don't depend on FHP do it yourself..

I was amazed how many states do not honor Florida and Georgia concealed weapons permits and have even arrested LEOs who carry into their states.. but the HR 218 has resolved that issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast