New Chief in Over Her Head Already! - Page 3
Page 3 of 119 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Re: New Chief in Over Her Head Already!

She has turned us into a bigger laughing stock than we already were with this silly saluting business. I have asked several people in the community and all of them had a "what the F##K" reaction and comment. I have asked several SSO folks, they just laughed. It is insulting, to us, and to the military. Anyone who has served knows that there are rules, and times, and a specific way you salute. This is not how to improve things at SPD. Turn us all into a joke in the public eye. Sgts, Lts, dont want to do this silly business.

I think McCurdy should be the new DC. He owns a comedy club in town. He could help us all look more like a joke, but to do it professionally. Maybe we could do some stand up at his club.

It seems obvious that barwin did not do a complete and detailed background on dipino. Sounds like a former city manager we had doesnt it and how did that work out?? I understand the Chief of police is a high pofile position and subject to attacks from all angles, but when you have repeated allegations (and most either monitarily settled or suistained) then you have a problem. Why Barwin did not take these things into account is beyond me.

its has been an awful first month. everyone is running scared right now and justifiably so. there has been minimal communication at best from dipino to the troops. She drops bombs in shift briefings like "huge changes are coming" and "rotating senior officers/sgts back to nights" but then tells officer not to panic. Are you kidding me chief???? For crying out loud, where did you learn your management skills????

And if its true what she said about tearing down the contract and doing what she wants then we are really in for big trouble ahead.

We r in deep crap. Its blatantly obvious that she is very 2 sided. Tells everyone she will earn their respect and trust then begins crafting dramatic changes agency wide with little to no input from anyone. I mean why have a command staff of officers who have been here 30 yesrs if u wont even bother to talk with them. There is no way that in less than 30 days dipino can possibly know enough about SPD and the community to warrant the huge changes she has so tactlessly told ppl about. Its going to b a huge mess. Just when we thought it could not get any worse.

She is completely out of her element here. Just the other night she was out cruising around with her dog in her city issued vehicle when she saw-----get this-----a hand to hand drug deal. So she gets on the radio calls for multiple units and k-9 to do a track. Are u kiddng me????

Here is a little insight on how Chief Dipino will select her command staff. The following was a question posed to her during her application process.

19. Q: What was the most difficult change initiative you have managed? What would you do differently?

A: The most difficult change initiative for me has been appointing my own command staff. After over nine years as chief I finally have a command staff I personally tested and selected. When I first made chief I asked my supervisors, the police commission at the time, to allow me to revamp my command staff. I had four captains then. Three of the captains were not supportive of my appointment. Two of the three had competed against me for the chief's job. The third captain made it clear that he was not in support of my appointment. Over the years through management strategies
    and retirements I was eventually able to hold processes to select my own staff. The one thing I would have done differently was to hold my ground and ask to change the commanders as a condition of my appointment. Even though the years were challenging, I learned how to handle and overcome difficult people and situations. Our agency able to move forward with modern and progressive initiatives in spite of the resistance to
    change by these commanders. I learned the value of buy in and collaboration. I also found an inner strength and vision that would not be deterred just because I had a difficult group of people to lead. I found putting the right people in my command staff has made for a more productive department as well as reduced liability for the city, the agency and me. This challenge has made me a better leader in dealing with adversity.

Our new chief appears to be quite the narcicist. Its no secret she has already stated that she is going to basically ignore the contract and do what she wants. She wants full control over EVERYTHING.....that includes promotions. While there r certain things she cannot do immediately because of the contract, she can fight to have sections of the contract removed with city halls approval. After all the contract is non binding. The games r just starting.

Thank you Terry Lewis....your legacy lives on, just not the way you wanted. Thank you Mr. Barwin, your first big decision was poorly researched and negligently executed.
    Our last chief, who did not meet the educational criteria posted in the job description, was selected because of his race. Our current chief was picked because of her gender for no male would have been selected with her "baggage."

Fortunately, our officers know how to do their jobs well and the community is getting professional service.

I agree this was totally a gender based appointment by Mr. Barwin.

There is no way relying on demographics alone, that Chief Dipino was the best candidate for the job.

Chief Dipino said

“And the community — what I found with community policing — sometimes you have to listen to what the citizens want you to do as a police. Because we are providing a service to the citizens and if they are OK with certain incidents going on in their community, as long as they're not the cause of the major crimes, then, you know, it's up to the community to police themselves.”

Community Based Policing should work very well in Ocean City with 110 Officers a total population of 7,104, and only 189 residents in the black community. There have been three murders in the last 12 years, and there biggest problem is drunks on the boardwalk. Sarasota doesn't need a bus to transport drunks they need a Chief of Police. follow the link below for crime index detail.

Population in 2011: 7,104. Population change since 2000: -1.0%

• White alone - 6,310 (88.8%)
    • Hispanic - 417 (5.9%)
    • Black alone - 189 (2.7%)
    • Asian alone - 93 (1.3%)
    • Two or more races - 71 (1.0%)
    • American Indian alone - 12 (0.2%)
    • Other race alone - 10 (0.1%)

Chief educate yourself this is not the High Point Plan and making comments that the community police themselves, lends credibility to the title of this forum. Chief you are totally in over your head

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Ocean-Cit ... z2JHqVSvEL

Although we don't have the problems up here in Ocean City that you may have down there, we do swell to a summer population of 300,000 in basically a 10 square mile island. So the police do more than find lost dogs. As far as her coming back here, you wanted her you keep her. The reason she gave everyone her cell number is because she was never at work. I would have thought that if the powers to be were hiring someone to be the police chief that they would have called the powers to be that were in charge of her before, guess that doesn't make sense.

J Bones any information about the quit or be fired incident while she was employed by
    Baltimore County Police Department 1985-1988. If true it would be grounds for losing her State Law Enforcement certificate in Florida.

I may b wrong but don't think I am but I don't believe our new chief is Fla certified yet. She has yet to go thru the equivalent training or take the state exam. Kind of funny how shes been out rolling around armed and dangerous.

Page 3 of 119 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast