New Chief in Over Her Head Already! - Page 2
Page 2 of 119 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Re: New Chief in Over Her Head Already!

Judge, I have no problem with the new chief, except I think she is moving a little to slow. Many were hoping for big changes and fast, but it just has not happened as of yet. She has a lot of work not only to heal the relations with the various communities throughout the city, but within this law enforcment agency. Many were hoping that some of the current leadership of the department that is responsable for so much of the department's problems would have been demoted, and new leadership would have taken thier places. Moral is a big issue within the agency, for the fact that there is very little of it. Betweeen the bad media press, and the lack of leadership many of us feel that going out and doing our job is not worth it.
    You talked about the riot that took place a couple of days ago. Well, in many of communities the residents expect officers to contact and take action when someone is urinating on a building in open public. I cannot understand why someone who was breaking the law, either for a minor offence or a major offence would attempt to flee from the police. Our job when someone flees it to caught that person a bring them to justice, either by jail or a written summons. If we did not what do you think would happen? I am not able to tell you, as I can only guess. For many of us I can only say good luck, keep you heads low and pray for the best...

Well guys and girls, your chief will throw you under the bus every oportunity she has. She will bow to the loud mouths like Judge and the ACLU so keep that in the back of your mind when you try to do your job. The guys that made the arrest may have made a mistake. Don't know for sure, been gone for over 11 years now. Police work is the same now as it was back in the day. The only important thing is make it to retirement without too many scares. You don't have any support from your staff, City Hall and most of the folks in the Newtown community so walk the straight and narrow. Chief, you need to think about what is important. The ACLU, this attorney Morgenson or what ever her name is and the cop haters in Sarasota, (and there are many) are not the people that will come to your rescue when you get in over your head. The street cops that put up with this grabage will be there even if they don't like you. It's a cop thing. Something you might not be familiar with. Folks, stay safe and watch your brother and sisters back. Your the only people that care about your fellow officers at this point. It pains me to say that but I am affraid it is true.

Yeah I too have noticed all the homeless on the street corners now walking into traffic with their signs and taking money. I don't see this occurring anywhere but in sarasota city. The deputies keep the roads and interstate off ramps clear of it.

It appears that our new chief is more concerned with solidifying her political ties/connections in the community than getting to actually know SPD. She spends 80% of her time outside the PD. The majority of sergeants have not even seen her except in passing and she has made minimal effort to get to know anyone. She appears to be set to make sweeping, and i mean sweeping, changes throughout the agency without giving the time to sit back and see what woprks and what doesn;t. Does she really think that ppl are going to respond to that just because she wears 2 stars on her collar??

changing things like the 12 hours shifts and rotating senior people back to nights is going to be a huge mistake.

As with the last administration, communication does not seem to be her strong point. Rumors are flying around. No one seems to know which way is up and no one is getting any direction. Great first month chief. Keep on sailing.

It is painfully obvious from her first month at SPd that she is indeed in way over her head. Lets see what mandates she has handed down so far: (in no particular order)
    1. No foot pursuits for misdemeanors. uh...why??????
    2. Salute those of a higher rank. again......why??? do we have a problem with insubordination???
    3. Supervisors must approve all arrests. how many bad arrests do officers make???? practically none. the incident with the 2 rookies making that homeless arrest is an isolated incident and most likely has to do with failure of supervision to communicate. complete knee jerk reaction and waste of a supoervisors time. with anywhere from 10 - 30 arrests per shift, they will spend all night going from arrest to arrest.

Rumors flying around like flies:
    1. getting rid of the 12 hour shifts. this will set us back what.....15 years???
    2. rotating senior officers and sergeants back to midnights. great morale booster there.
    3. having captains rotate working weekends. uh....why????
    4. making all non-road lieutenants captains. uh....why???? possible so they wont be part of the contract and she can fling them around like yo-yos???
    5. making a major. is this in place of a D/C? if so not a big deal as we do need a 2nd in command.
    6. she wants all officers to have SUV's, bicycles, rifles, and ipads. yes thats right ipads.

Seems chief dipino needs to understand that Sarasota is not ocean city PD. it is a completely different dept. step back a bit chief. take a look around. talk to people. figure what works and what doesnt. then make changes. dont come in here guns ablazing trying to impress the commounity. you should first be trying to earn the respect of the men and women under your command. not turning their worlds upside down.

Let me add to your statement of caution: She's the only officer in the history of OCPD to be successfully sued by a defendant. She's the only chief in OCPD history to lose EEO complaints (at least 2, with a couple more pending). She was commander of the QRT until the members told then-Chief Massey that if she wasn't removed, they'd all quit the team. She left Baltimore County PD under a "quit or be fired" scenario, the details of which involve improper behavior in the back seat of a patrol car. The OC FOP has had at least one "no-confidence" vote against her. Shall I go on?
    (All of this info is available in public record)

Good Luck SPD, looks like someone dropped the ball on her background check.

HOLY CRAP ON A CRAKER.....I heard it was getting bad down there but not this bad. I feel sorry for you folks. To the comment about spending so much time outside of the department, two things come to mind, 1- she seems to be a glory seeker looking for someone to pat her on the back, nothing more than a figure head puppet, and 2) Plausible Deniability, if she is not there she doesn't have to make a decision. I wish I could offer a solution but I can't. I still have a lot of good friends down there and hope you can rise above this. Remember, keep the faith, "The truth shall set you free." To the point RE the Patrol Sergeants, those are the very people she should be talking too. Chief, if it is happening in Sarasota chances are good your Patrol Sergeants know about it and probably already have a solution in mind. Good luck folks.

She is so busy trying to get on the IACP Board, so she can move in higher over her head somewhere, we are doomed! She was overheard in Cityhall that she will tear down the PBA here and show who is really running the show! The PBA better start a proactive protest to her proposed changes. I really wished we could have gotten local Chief who knew Sarasota, and could have really made a positive change!

Since taking over she has not been in the office 12 days so far this January...You would think a new boss would only focus on her new department! The other word is that she is bringing an outside minority to be her #2, so can deflect everything to him, and take the praise otherwise!

it does seem kind of funny that with all of the chief's baggage that she was selected over the other canduidates. we are suppposed to respect and look up to our leader but when her past seems to be loaded with controversial desicions and bad judgment, its kind of hard to do. that may be why she is pressing so hard to entrench herself with the community rather than dierect her efforts toward getting to know our agency. if the community likes her, she can basically do what she wants with impunity. I think that the PBA is going to have a huge battle ahead of them.

from reading prior posts, it seems like she is indeed trying to impose the OCPD way of doing things at SPD. not saying thats a bad thing all the way around as we do need change, but she does need to step back and observe before she starts tearing everything down. The old saying learn to walk before you run comes to mind. I mean why in god's name would you restrict officers from enganing in foot pursuits for misdemeanors???? where is the sense in that?? are we supposed to enforce the law or not. believe it or not chief dipino, the bad guys do not always comply by corgially turning around with a smile and holding their hands out for us to put the cuffs on. If you are that afraid of officers having to chase suspetcs and use force to make an arrest and thinking that it will make you look bad then not only are u in the wrong town, you are in the wrong profession. once word on the street gets out that officers cannot engage in a foot chase for misdemeanors, its going to get real ugly, real fast up north.

while certainly a beautiful city and nice place, sarasota does have a pretty big dark side that is carefully hidden from the mainstream public. you need to understand exactly how big of a problem it is. this is not OCPD.

Page 2 of 119 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast