45 GAP or 45ACP - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 45 GAP or 45ACP

Re: 45 GAP or 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    As a firearms instructor, I know what it has failed to do and that is supply the turds with ammo for their personal weapons. They ***** when they can't build their own personal ammo dump at their home. Watch what happens when a case of ammo gets laid out at a range session..... boxes dissapear! It's not the gun, it's the round that doesn't match the gun they have at the house.

Exactly!!! That's exactly what it is!!! Effin whiney babies.

As a firearms instructor, I know what it has failed to do and that is supply the turds with ammo for their personal weapons. They ***** when they can't build their own personal ammo dump at their home. Watch what happens when a case of ammo gets laid out at a range session..... boxes dissapear! It's not the gun, it's the round that doesn't match the gun they have at the house.
    No, its that you can't run down to Walmart or the local gun store and find GAP ammunition. I bought a baby GAP and in troop L at least we still have to provide our own ammo to qualify with. I was told that is statewide that the patrol is not providing ammo for ANY off duty guns...

That's an ordering issue of enough ammunition with the lead instructor in your troop/district....not the problem here.

It is clear you were on the small commity that wanted the Glock 37.
    If it is so clear, perhaps you need to clean your glasses. I was in favor of the .45 ACP but when the GAP was chosen, instead of stomping my feet and pitching a hissy fit, I took the time to familiarize myself with the .45 GAP ballistics and the development of the round. I was pleased to discover that the GAP was slinging the same bullet downrange at the same speed as the .45 ACP. So, terminal ballistics should be the same. The only difference is the shell casing left on the ground. Yes, I am aware that the GAP doesn't match the +P but that isn't the storied round of two world wars and many other conflicts. Putting the power of a .45 ACP in a 9mm/40cal sized frame seemed like a reasonable idea especially since powder technology has changed quite a bit in the last 100 years. When I reload .45ACP, there is quite a bit of empty space between the powder and the bullet base.

It is also a fact that the Glock GAP round is an orphan round that he expensive and hard to find. Only the most blinded fool would choose an orphan round as the departments carry firearm.

Time to move on to a more common round that is affordable and easy to find.
    What is the basis of this fact? Because you can't find the ammo at Wal-Mart? The patrol seems to have no trouble finding enough for range and duty use. If you check the DMS contract, they are also paying a reasonable price for it. You can also buy it for the same price (except for the federal excise tax) so if you really are interested in practicing, you can probably get practice GAP ammo for less than you can .45 ACP at Wal-Mart (if you can find any at Wal-Mart). It isn't an orphan round unless people stop making ammunition and quite a few manufacturers are still producing it. Yes, to my knowledge, GLOCK is the only company currently offering weapons chambered in .45 GAP since Springfield dropped the option but that still doesn't make it an orphan. Uptake among other agencies has been slow but the .40 S&W got off to a slow start too. From what I understand, other agencies who have adopted it are happy with it. Sure, a couple of years down the road things could be different but it seems a bit early to predict the end of the .45 GAP.

The Glock 37 is a failure no matter how much you come on here and cheer lead for it.
    It is a failure how? The only point you have made is that practice ammo isn't readily available at a good price. You have no one to blame but yourself because a stipulation in the contract was that troopers could purchase from the same source as the patrol. Do you have something to add other than the fact that you don't like it. I think it is fair to say that your dislike is the only verifiable fact that you have mentioned.

No, its that you can't run down to Walmart or the local gun store and find GAP ammunition. I bought a baby GAP and in troop L at least we still have to provide our own ammo to qualify with. I was told that is statewide that the patrol is not providing ammo for ANY off duty guns...
    My local Wal-mart is currently out of 45acp, 9mm and 380acp....just say'n

Plenty of GAP ammo available here:

targetsportsusa.com

Unregistered
    So FHP still using 45 gap?

Unregistered
    Yes still using the piece of junk GAP. The worst part is that with the Gen 4 Glock the 21 is almost the same exact size as the GAP crap. GAP is only 10 round mags which is stupid and almost no one makes a gun that is GAP anymore. Its a dying caliber GA State Patrol already ditched theirs.

Unregistered

Gap

I was at shoot straight and a guy walked in to try and trade one in. They wouldn't give him anything for it because theyou have a hard time getting the ammo. More of a novelty than anything. It shoots great and has impressive ballistics however it is unpopular and became obsolete the second it came off the production line. Not to mention, if stuff hits the fan your backup better be another Trooper because nobody else is rolling up with 45 GAP.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was at shoot straight and a guy walked in to try and trade one in. They wouldn't give him anything for it because theyou have a hard time getting the ammo. More of a novelty than anything. It shoots great and has impressive ballistics however it is unpopular and became obsolete the second it came off the production line. Not to mention, if stuff hits the fan your backup better be another Trooper because nobody else is rolling up with 45 GAP.
    The ballistics are worse than a 45 acp + P the gap does match regular 45 acp loadings

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast