FHPA outlook for the future - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: FHPA outlook for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Floridacoastal
    I was just getting ready to apply as an FHPA
    Looks like it may be a waste of time.
    I wouldn't recommend it.

I had also given serious consideration to FHPA over the past year, but this site has changed my mind.

Making up your mind about the FHPA based on what you read on Leo Affairs is like looking for a date by calling the phone numbers written on bathroom walls. If you really want to find out what the FHPA is about, step away from the keyboard. Attend a meeting. Talk to regular and auxiliary troopers. Find out for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Making up your mind about the FHPA based on what you read on Leo Affairs is like looking for a date by calling the phone numbers written on bathroom walls. If you really want to find out what the FHPA is about, step away from the keyboard. Attend a meeting. Talk to regular and auxiliary troopers. Find out for yourself.
    I disagree. If you go to a meeting, you're going to get the opposite of the LeoAffairs i.e. you'll hear all of the positives without any of the negatives. I don't think that using this site as one of the tools to help guide your decision is a foolhardy proposition. Going through all of the FHPA posts, I haven't found one that is completely false.

I appreciate both responses.

Well finally someone spoke out about the college football / florida highway patrol weekly party. This agency complains about being under staffed, and there are more troopers at the football games than working an afternoon shift. The appearance of the Troopers, Reserve Trooper, Aux. Troopers on national TV are a total embarrassment to this agency PERIOD.

Look at the other college schools, the security they bring with their teams are squared-away sharp looking uniform personnel. The Florida Highway Patrol's are over-weight, fat, dis-organized, sweating like a stuff pig, walking heart attacks sticking their faces in front of the camera at any given chance. The only reason why they are there, is to act like a big shot, and walk around like they are something special!

Outlook? Not good since they cant return a freaking phone call or email of a former cop looking to join.

Outlook? Not good since they cant return a freaking phone call or email of a former cop looking to join.
    My advice is to look elsewhere. This is not the place to come right now. Another agency's reserve program or a smaller agency part-time might be the way to go. If you're retired you might want to look to an agency like a University or School Board, or maybe an Airport police department. The FHPA just isn't an agency I would recommend to someone.....at this time.

My advice is to look elsewhere. This is not the place to come right now. Another agency's reserve program or a smaller agency part-time might be the way to go. If you're retired you might want to look to an agency like a University or School Board, or maybe an Airport police department. The FHPA just isn't an agency I would recommend to someone.....at this time.
    It's been since September since this last post... What's the outlook now? Better? Worse? Still par for the course?

Unregistered
    Interesting comments and observations here. Some true, some not, some ....well.
    Its said you need to walk a mile in the others shoes....
    As a 12+ year FHPA officer yes its my time to exit.
    Not because of anything anyone did or does as I truly enjoy the career Troopers but more of whats not done.
    Theres no follow up, theres a lot of promises that never materialize and then theres the spectre of personal assets.....Im now more convinced than ever that if the SHTF I wouldn't be protected by the FHP.... and could lose everything.
    RE the inexperience comments, as a combat veteran and having a career in the security business I know a whole lot more than do any career trooper with "full certs" as some have pointed out is needed to be a "real LEO".....Im the one correcting the trooper about how to deal with people, how to blade their body, what to look for in the interviews and so on and so forth. Im the one waving traffic clear when the trooper is chatting with the lady in the speeding car and Im the one changing the tires on a "customer" vehicle.
    Its a shame we aren't viewed as anything as we seem to have a whole lot more to offer than is ever used.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123