What's the average day like for an ABT agent?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the average day like for an ABT agent?

Considering applying. Thanks

Re: What's the average day like for an ABT agent?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    That is a great question. In 2007 the following was a pretty typical day at ABT:

You have no idea of the stress we are under. This is a high pressure job with an incredible amount of responsibility. We like to vent - it keeps us from doing something crazy like taking a job with some other state agency. Until you have worn the "BADGE" it would be best if you were not critical of those you don't understand. To help you get the big picture, I will walk you through a typical day.
    Wake up early (8:30 or so) and start the trip to the office.
    Stop and get breakfast to go, since you have a full day - no time to waste.
    Stop and get a newspaper.
    Stop and pay the phone and power bill.
    Stop and return a faucet to Lowe's.
    Stop and pick up better faucet at Home Depot.
    Complain to yourself about your state car, lack of Blackberry and paltry clothing allowance.
    Complain to yourself about that pesky agent in your office that wants your help with an investigation.
    Avoid the Captain.
    Sneak in and create the impression you have been there a couple hours.
    Avoid the LT.
    Check email (state and personal) read the paper, eat your breakfast at your desk. Be sure to explain how you are too busy to meet the rest of the agents at Cracker Barrel.
    Unzip your portfolio and check your complaints. Decide which one you can fit in to the remainder of the day.
    Set that aside while you venture out to take care of some "personal issues."
    Avoid the LT.
    Lunch.
    Troll high school parking lots for smokers.
    Realize the day is almost over - knock out some "busy" work.
    Call the LT and announce you may be late tomorrow in order to offset the extra hours from today.
    Back to the office or head home.

In 2012, things have changed. We have gone from 150 sworn to 104. Keep in mind only 80 of the current positions are actual agents. The big move here is to convert sworn to non-sworn and there is no reason to think that trend won't continue into 2013 and beyond.
    Here is the problem. We didn't focus on the very thing the industry, public and legislature wanted, which was underage enforcement. We continued attempts to recreate ourselves in order to appear more relevant, but only caused an identity crisis. Every change of administration (every 14-18 months) only adds to the problem of self-inflicted damage.
    In 2013, you have every major PD and SO doing the work that we should be doing (underage and criminal activity in bars) These agencies don't pass things to us anymore. They just do it themselves.

Now as far as an average day:
    We are ruled by stats. You will need to pay attention during the FTO process in order to learn what not to do. Make friends with the locals and let them help you in getting your numbers. The big push recently has been synthetic substances (spice) along with counterfeit goods and selling contact lenses without a prescription. Sound like meaningful work to you? Don't worry about it. There will be a new priority of the day soon enough. You will still be doing underage stuff, but it will almost appear as an afterthought. Something done to feed the stat monster known as ABTSTAT.

The nice things that keep most of us here:
    No shift work
    High Risk retirement (for now)
    Take home car (for now)
    Flexible schedule

Prediction based on past:
    Fewer sworn positions
    Loss of take home cars
    Additional benefit and retirement cuts from the legislature
    Continuous search for leadership and meaningful direction

If you just need a paycheck or something to do since you are tired of home projects, golf and fishing then you have nothing to lose.

If you are looking for a career and a chance to make a difference, then stay away from state law enforcement and specifically ABT.

In any case, good luck and do what makes you happy.

You didn't mention all the time spent defending yourself from false accuations made by your so called "friends" who stabbed you in the back. Your scenerio paints the picture of someone who has a few years in, been stabbed in the back enough that you now work alone because there's no one left to trust. Aside from that, you nailed it.

boo hoo hoo, sniffle sniffle. LOSERS

I like the work alone part this way you don't have to worry about edged weapons in your back. Just make sure you have a connection at the local bon bon store when the chit hits the fan. SHE will love you big time. :snicker:

Quote Originally Posted by figment
    I like the work alone part this way you don't have to worry about edged weapons in your back. Just make sure you have a connection at the local bon bon store when the chit hits the fan. SHE will love you big time. :snicker:
    Actually, the one your reference (the bon bon queen) has stabbed more people in the back than anyone at ABT. Don't believe me, ask PR

Is this seriously what's going on over there? I have a year on, got laid off, and am now flooding the state with applications. I enjoyed doing ABT investigations with you guys, but is this seriously how it is working for y'all? This is unreal.

Is this seriously what's going on over there? I have a year on, got laid off, and am now flooding the state with applications. I enjoyed doing ABT investigations with you guys, but is this seriously how it is working for y'all? This is unreal.
    Yeah, it SUCKS with a capital S
    Be glad you're outta this sucky place. :cop:

That is a great question. In 2007 the following was a pretty typical day at ABT:

You have no idea of the stress we are under. This is a high pressure job with an incredible amount of responsibility. We like to vent - it keeps us from doing something crazy like taking a job with some other state agency. Until you have worn the "BADGE" it would be best if you were not critical of those you don't understand. To help you get the big picture, I will walk you through a typical day.
    Wake up early (8:30 or so) and start the trip to the office.
    Stop and get breakfast to go, since you have a full day - no time to waste.
    Stop and get a newspaper.
    Stop and pay the phone and power bill.
    Stop and return a faucet to Lowe's.
    Stop and pick up better faucet at Home Depot.
    Complain to yourself about your state car, lack of Blackberry and paltry clothing allowance.
    Complain to yourself about that pesky agent in your office that wants your help with an investigation.
    Avoid the Captain.
    Sneak in and create the impression you have been there a couple hours.
    Avoid the LT.
    Check email (state and personal) read the paper, eat your breakfast at your desk. Be sure to explain how you are too busy to meet the rest of the agents at Cracker Barrel.
    Unzip your portfolio and check your complaints. Decide which one you can fit in to the remainder of the day.
    Set that aside while you venture out to take care of some "personal issues."
    Avoid the LT.
    Lunch.
    Troll high school parking lots for smokers.
    Realize the day is almost over - knock out some "busy" work.
    Call the LT and announce you may be late tomorrow in order to offset the extra hours from today.
    Back to the office or head home.

It sounds like you were following me around again.
    I must say even though things have toughen up abit i still make time for taking care of those personal issues.
    In fact, I met another one right before christmas. Hopefully, i will get to perform some undercover work with her real soon.

There's no such thing as an "average day" on beverage patrol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast