Ask the PBA - Page 3
Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Re: Ask the PBA

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett
    How about this approach? What can the PBA do to help Troopers?

Matt, Discipline issues and the PAY COMPRESSION are the two biggest issues we must overcome. We can’t keep troopers because of the poor pay! No matter what the experts say about a good working environment, benefits or equipment, it boils down to the poor pay! Add BS discipline and we are a training ground for the PD’s and SO’s who have a step pay plan. Thanks for your time.

SWFL - thanks for the great comments. I agree, PBA must do a better job communicating. This job falls on me.
    On the point about the 80 hour workweek, that goes back to impasse resolutions from the 2011 legislative session. The Legislature resolved the issue to be solely up to the ED or Agency. If you look at article 18 of the contract (make sure you look at the impasse resolved re-openers version), will see the underlined changes where the agency can choose 40, 80, or 160. I can't figure out how to link it, sorry. The chapter was able to work out the 80 hours with the command, but the command was under no obligation to do so.
    As for discipline, I agree with you again. I sit in with our attorneys daily and FHP requests for service are high. Our attorneys, staff and your chapter directors are doing a good job (in my biased opinion) of overturning or mitigating the punishments, but it doesn't seem to be slowing down. My best advice is when in doubt about something, don't wait to contact us. A short conversation with one of the reps, or an attorney can only help you.

Thanks.

We are going to do our best this year to get some pay increases and address the compression.

Why don't we see more of our command staff addressing our pay issues? Can you help with this?

If you look at article 18 of the contract (make sure you look at the impasse resolved re-openers version), will see the underlined changes where the agency can choose 40, 80, or 160. I can't figure out how to link it, sorry.
    Try this:

http://www.dms.myflorida.com/media/h...ve_july_1_2012

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    If you look at article 18 of the contract (make sure you look at the impasse resolved re-openers version), will see the underlined changes where the agency can choose 40, 80, or 160. I can't figure out how to link it, sorry.
    Try this:

http://www.dms.myflorida.com/media/h...ve_july_1_2012
    Or this (underlined):

http://www.dms.myflorida.com/media/h...erline_version

In years past, the FHP command has been helpful with pay issues. PBA and the command have always worked well together on that issue. As long as the approach to achieving the increase is professional, I believe the command will be supportive in the legislature.

Thanks for posting the link.

I keep hearing about other agencies with the same discipline issues. It seems to be a common theme across the board with many LEO agencies. What is up with this trend and is the PBA noticing this with other agencies they work with?

We are seeing more discipline at certain agencies (both local and state) than in years past. It is not across the board, though. At the agencies where discipline has increased,it is also much harsher. Like I said in an early post, if you are unsure about the outcome - don't wait to call us.

Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast