Ask the PBA - Page 50
Page 50 of 98 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Re: Ask the PBA

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett
    From a previous post
    Are these pay raises going to apply to high ranking supervisors also if they are approved by the legislature?
    The raise proposal is only for employees covered by the bargaining agreement. The Legislature may decide to include upper management, but that is not our proposal.

We emailed the information in quotes below this morning. If you missed it, here's a copy.

[quote:lx5hijd9]Florida PBA's General Counsel Hal Johnson Presents Pay Raise Proposal
    During the Joint Select Committee on Collective Bargaining

Please click on the video link below to watch Mr. Hal Johnson present PBA's pay raise proposal for the State Law Enforcement Officers Bargaining Unit; the Florida Highway Patrol Bargaining Unit and the FDLE Special Agents Bargaining Unit.
    Mr. Johnson's comments begin at the 56:14 mark.

http://thefloridachannel.org/video/2181 ... argaining/
    [/quote:lx5hijd9]

Thans for posting Matt. I think Hal did a good job, I just hope it isn't falling on deaf ears as it has in the past. I look forward to seeing this progress through the legislative process.

I also have a question as to why a proposal is not being made to re-fund a step pay plan. Do all agencies have the ground work set for such a proposal. I know FHP does, but does FWC? FDLE? Just curious on why each agency has not been pushed towards a similar rank type structure FHP is implementing to show the need for the step plan or pay scale. What is PBA's role or input on this with the other agencies, mostly FWC since that is where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    From a previous post
    Are these pay raises going to apply to high ranking supervisors also if they are approved by the legislature?
    The raise proposal is only for employees covered by the bargaining agreement. The Legislature may decide to include upper management, but that is not our proposal.

We emailed the information in quotes below this morning. If you missed it, here's a copy.

[quote9asnsx3]Florida PBA's General Counsel Hal Johnson Presents Pay Raise Proposal
    During the Joint Select Committee on Collective Bargaining

Please click on the video link below to watch Mr. Hal Johnson present PBA's pay raise proposal for the State Law Enforcement Officers Bargaining Unit; the Florida Highway Patrol Bargaining Unit and the FDLE Special Agents Bargaining Unit.

http://thefloridachannel.org/video/2181 ... argaining/
    Thans for posting Matt. I think Hal did a good job, I just hope it isn't falling on deaf ears as it has in the past. I look forward to seeing this progress through the legislative process.

I also have a question as to why a proposal is not being made to re-fund a step pay plan. Do all agencies have the ground work set for such a proposal. I know FHP does, but does FWC? FDLE? Just curious on why each agency has not been pushed towards a similar rank type structure FHP is implementing to show the need for the step plan or pay scale. What is PBA's role or input on this with the other agencies, mostly FWC since that is where I work.[/quote9asnsx3]

Great questions.
    For this year, we made the choice to put forward a modest and uniform pay raise proposal for all of the PBA bargaining units. We wanted to have an easy to understand proposal for the Legislature. Everyone has a hand out this year and we didn’t want to have a complex plan that could get overlooked by a simpler option. It was purely a strategic plan for this session in this economic climate.
    From what I know (what is not much) most of the agencies have enough of a structure in place to implement a step plan. I believe that FWC and FDLE could easily put forward a structured step plan proposal.
    PBA works very well with FWC. The role is usually depends on the circumstance.

The lady that spoke a few minutes after Hal for the Teamsters did a great job, PBA needs to hire her.

The lady that spoke a few minutes after Hal for the Teamsters did a great job, PBA needs to hire her.
    Are you nuts the Teamster lady was only pushing for an across the board raise and not seniority raises which is where you get extra when the legislature gives out anything. There is almost no chance of that 7% raise bill passing but there is a good chance PBA gets its more senior officers an extra 3% or so over the normal raise given out this year.

I am an old timer. My bubble has been burst many a time working for this agency up in the panhandle. My career is winding down slowly here and nothing would be more gratifying than drinking a cold one and knowing that the legislature in Tallyhassee would bring joy to my simple life by passing this proposal. My darn children make more money than I do and they are just a bunch of jack wagons. I pray every sunday in church that this here proposal would be accepted by the Florida legislature. Gosh darn you have been talking a great fight there Puckett. I am definitely in your corner!

I am an old timer. My bubble has been burst many a time working for this agency up in the panhandle. My career is winding down slowly here and nothing would be more gratifying than drinking a cold one and knowing that the legislature in Tallyhassee would bring joy to my simple life by passing this proposal. My darn children make more money than I do and they are just a bunch of jack wagons. I pray every sunday in church that this here proposal would be accepted by the Florida legislature. Gosh darn you have been talking a great fight there Puckett. I am definitely in your corner!

Matt,
    I think if any pay raise passes the PBA will see a good increase in membership. I'll join!

I thought everyone of the labor presenters did a good job.

I thought everyone of the labor presenters did a good job.
    :snicker: I guess she did a good job if it leaves more for PBA represented officers experience raises. The PBA is making the right proposals with how our legislature has acted in the past.

Well, I'm praying for the proposal right along with you.

[quote=Matt Puckett]
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett":3h39jpck]From a previous post
    [quote]Are these pay raises going to apply to high ranking supervisors also if they are approved by the legislature?[/quote]

[quote:3h39jpck][b]Florida PBA's General Counsel Hal Johnson Presents Pay Raise Proposal
    During the Joint Select Committee on Collective Bargaining[/b]

[url="http://thefloridachannel.org/video/21813-joint-select-committee-on-collective-bargaining/
    http://thefloridachannel.org/video/2181 ... argaining/[/url]

I also have a question as to why a proposal is not being made to re-fund a step pay plan. Do all agencies have the ground work set for such a proposal. I know FHP does, but does FWC? FDLE? Just curious on why each agency has not been pushed towards a similar rank type structure FHP is implementing to show the need for the step plan or pay scale. What is PBA's role or input on this with the other agencies, mostly FWC since that is where I work.[/quote:3h39jpck]

Great questions.
    For this year, we made the choice to put forward a modest and uniform pay raise proposal for all of the PBA bargaining units. We wanted to have an easy to understand proposal for the Legislature. Everyone has a hand out this year and we didn’t want to have a complex plan that could get overlooked by a simpler option. It was purely a strategic plan for this session in this economic climate.
    From what I know (what is not much) most of the agencies have enough of a structure in place to implement a step plan. I believe that FWC and FDLE could easily put forward a structured step plan proposal.
    PBA works very well with FWC. The role is usually depends on the circumstance.[/quote:3h39jpck]

I think you guys made the right choice and I like the proposal. The possibility of actually and finally making more then a new person sits well. I hope it passes. At this time it is much needed to keep my family running (just bare bones expenses).

I think Hal did a great job and I think it resonates with the legislature. I just hope they actually care enough to pass the bill. I will be emailing my local rep today in hopes to help sway the vote for us. Everyone needs to make conact with your elected official.

As for the Teemsters attorney. I think she did a good job, but does not come across as personable. I hate to say it, but Hal talks the speak of our elected officials. I think she came across as stuck up. She did however make some good points about Special Comp and the benefit in statute. If that were true, then it would hold true for all of us.

I like the PBA proposal, which would only start the process of moving up in the giant hole we have found ourselves in.

Matt, you are starting to change my mind about PBA. I was very upset and at least I now see the PBA trying. I only hope the effort pays off. I support you guys. Good luck, for us.

As far as the internal step type system, I am just not sure why FWC has not already put the system in place. It would make it easier if the talks ever go towards a step system to already have the ground work set. I guess it would not take long to implement a system either way. For now, lets get the proposal passed.

Page 50 of 98 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast