Ask the PBA - Page 48
Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Re: Ask the PBA

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke Trooper
    Matt,

The bottom line is that if you are an FHP trooper, you are broke unless you work in an area that has a lot of offduty. Then you're working way more hours than you should. We literally have troopers that can't afford to buy or keep a house. We have troopers that are living in dumpy old trailers and we have troopers living in rv's. We are the lowest paid state agency in the country, yet we live in a very populated state that is mostly inhabited by folks that retired from up north where they actually pay cops what they are worth, and sometimes more.

DHSMV has an "Ask The Executive Director" forum. She responds to emails from the employees. The number one question is about pay. The only answer she gives is that pay is not controlled by DHSMV or by FHP. In fact, in her last reply, she basically said that she would no longer answer questions about pay. To me, that is unacceptable. There is absolutely no reason that I should be able to pick up a copy of the Tallahassee Democrat and read an article about the entire FHP command staff being trespasses from the capitol building for pitching a fit over our miserable pay.

Our command staff doesn't care. That's the bottom line. This administration takes more pride in coming up with new policies to get us in trouble than they care about helping us make a decent living. If we had just ONE person at the top that would walk ihe capital with every intention of getting kicked out or getting us a raise, troopers would follow that leader to the end of the earth. But we DON'T have anyone.like that.

Great post!
    Matt,

This is the premise of the entire problem. This is not only about Troopers either, and I hope PBA remembers that this year. It is about all State LEO's. We as State Officers, Troopers, or whatever title we have, should not live in slum conditions our entire life. I know I am preaching to the choir, but I am not sure that PBA gets that or really understands. I want PBA to take the fight to the legislature. Stand up for us for once, not in the shadows, but out in the open. Act and show you actually care. If we get nothing, but the problem is exposed, it is worth it. Time to take the gloves off and stand up for the people you represent. This is not just a FHP issue, It is a FHP, FWC, DOACS, ABT, FDLE, etc. issue. This issue is at a boiling point, and needs to have action now. No more excuses. I am not a Trooper, I work for FWC. I can tell you that I am embarrased when people ask what I make. I am ashamed of my pay. Almost enough, after 12 years with the State that I am looking elsewhere for a job.

I don't want to live in a trailer. I have paid off all my bills, I drive a 17 year old vehicle, I have nothing left. Lost my house because of this issue. Time to start doing what we pay you to do and what PBA has promised. Step up to the plate and do something for us now. I don't want a new patrol car, I don't want a new taser, computer, night vision, uniforms, badges, stickers, ATV's, RADAR, Radio etc. I want a damn pay raise. If PBA can't make it happen, then walk away and stop taking our money promising to do something for us. It is time to Sh1T or get off the pot.

Sorry for the language, I am frustrated and tired of this. I am FTO'ing someone right now that makes the same as me. That is a crying shame and the third most populated State in the country with one of the highest line of duty deaths should be ashamed. Make them feel it PBA, Matt, Time to do the job I pay you to do. This will be my last year paying dues, this is the final session for PBA. I want a pay raise. That is it. I get a decent raise and start making more then base salary, you get to keep getting my dues. If not, then forget about it. I can be broke without paying you squat.

This is for all of us, we need to stand together and be serious. FHP, FWC, FDLE, DOACS, ABT, all of us.

No more excuses. Pay me what I am worth so I can not be on the brink of bankruptcy and welfare for my entire life.

Matt,

The bottom line is that if you are an FHP trooper, you are broke unless you work in an area that has a lot of offduty. Then you're working way more hours than you should. We literally have troopers that can't afford to buy or keep a house. We have troopers that are living in dumpy old trailers and we have troopers living in rv's. We are the lowest paid state agency in the country, yet we live in a very populated state that is mostly inhabited by folks that retired from up north where they actually pay cops what they are worth, and sometimes more.

DHSMV has an "Ask The Executive Director" forum. She responds to emails from the employees. The number one question is about pay. The only answer she gives is that pay is not controlled by DHSMV or by FHP. In fact, in her last reply, she basically said that she would no longer answer questions about pay. To me, that is unacceptable. There is absolutely no reason that I should be able to pick up a copy of the Tallahassee Democrat and read an article about the entire FHP command staff being trespasses from the capitol building for pitching a fit over our miserable pay.

Our command staff doesn't care. That's the bottom line. This administration takes more pride in coming up with new policies to get us in trouble than they care about helping us make a decent living. If we had just ONE person at the top that would walk ihe capital with every intention of getting kicked out or getting us a raise, troopers would follow that leader to the end of the earth. But we DON'T have anyone.like that.

Great post!
    I understand where you're coming from, but I also hear the same thing about the PBA. I also hear the same thing about Troopers that you all don't care anymore (the get out as soon as you can motto).

How often do you hear someone say "get out ASAP"? Well, unless your close to retirement or have another job lined up, does that advice really provide you with anything? Nope. It is most likely offered as a friendly piece of advice, or a warning, but what it does is further demoralize you and everyone else. Morale is low for every reason listed on the site and some probably not listed, but it is also low because you have people telling you things are always going to be horrible. It is your choice to buy into that, but realize if you do that you made a choice.

A lot of this the post I copied may be true to some degree. Just like a lot of what is said about the PBA and Troopers may be true, too. The question is how do we all set out to change those things. It starts with changing ourselves. From the PBA end, we have to be better communicators, more transparent, and more inclusive. There shouldn't be a Trooper or any other LEO out there unable to get information about what the PBA is doing to assist them.

Make no mistake though, it also means We need to get you some more money. Will that fix everything? No. But it may start putting the other changes in motion.

I have heard this from a very high ranking FHP member. He has spoken to various legislators from around the state and the consensus from them is that they are happy with the way things are now. They like the fact that all of the senior retirement eligible people are leaving. They prefer to have a revolving door where people leave before they are vested (saves them $$) and a new hire takes their place. This is not just LE but state workers in general.
    This is what we are up against. Sure, there are a few that are supportive like Senator Negron, but the majority are like those outlined above and that is why we are where we are and why it will NEVER change.

The post from Matt was me.

Interesting how before I could post on the one topic, a second post came in and, right after I posted, a third post arrived helping to make my points.

Let's recap: First post raised some points about the command's apathy, second poster told the PBA to step it up and do a better job or else, and last post stated it will never change. The premise for the third post came from some unnamed command member who spoke with various unnamed legislators who happen to think things are going according to plan.

Now ask yourself this:
    Which poster do you think is right?
    Also ask yourself, who will most people believe?
    Now ask yourself, why you feel this way?

And most importantly, please post your thoughts. I'm interested to hear the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett

Interesting how before I could post on the one topic, a second post came in and, right after I posted, a third post arrived helping to make my points.

Let's recap: First post raised some points about the command's apathy, second poster told the PBA to step it up and do a better job or else, and last post stated it will never change. The premise for the third post came from some unnamed command member who spoke with various unnamed legislators who happen to think things are going according to plan.

Now ask yourself this:

And most importantly, please post your thoughts. I'm interested to hear the replies.
    I think they are all right, mostly. I think the poster referring to step up or else is simply stating that PBA makes grand promises, and has not been following through. We see PBA on the sidelines. You call this poor communication. I call it sitting on the sidelines not doing anything for us. If you are trying, then why does every citizen in FL think we make 60 - 80 K a year. Why is that? Why is it that PBA wants our dues, and feels it is our lack of membership that is causing this? Is it because PBA only cares about the money they are getting?

I see it this way Matt, Many people are upset with the pay issue and rightfully so. It is not being fixed, or have even come close to being fixed. We hear well at least we kept them from taking your comp time, or leave time, or we helped you get more off duty hours approved. We help you when a discipline comes around. We also pay PBA to bargain for us, and nothing has gotten better. So I ask you this. Why should I tell someone to give up $32 a month of their horrid pay when very little is getting better? Why should I tell a fellow LEO that PBA cares for you and will fight for you when all we keep getting is be happy to have a job?

I want to know right now Matt, no BS, no smoke and mirrors. I am not a Trooper. I want to know that I am being represented equally. I want to know that PBA is going to bat for me. Where can I help without getting in trouble? What else can I do? I pay PBA to bargain for me, and I have not seen any benefit. So here is the question. Why should I, or anyone else, keep paying you (PBA) after this sesssion if I do not see a substantial increase in my pay? That is why I pay you of a few other reasons, that being the main one. Why? Why? Why? If I do a lousy job I will get fired. So why should we keep paying PBA if nothing this year happens? You want membership to increase, then get us money. That is all. Not just Troopers Matt, all State LEO's that PBA was so graciously to separate into separate units. All of us.

You tell me why you deserve me as a paying member, then we can have an honest open dialect. You do what I pay you for Matt, That is the important part of the second post I think you miss. It is not a threat, or an idle promise. I think the poster was right on and obviously it was missed the actual importance of the post. It was not the do this or else part, it was the WHAT THE HELL DO I PAY YOU FOR PART? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME AND MY FELLOW LEO'S PART?

And I agree, I don't care about cars, trucks, boats, tasers, guns, handcuffs anymore. I care about feeding my family, keeping the power on at my house, affording my car, being able to pay daycare on time, not getting my cell phone shut off that the State calls me on all the time. That is where it is. Read into the post, it is clearly a worker upset with how PBA is representing the LEO's. Not just Troopers Matt, even though you won't do this on other boards, Not just Troopers, all LEO's working for the State.

I would love nothing more then to keep paying PBA, give me a reason Why I should!

If PBA actually cares, then pay yourselves what we make and you can see an equal increase in pay with what you get us. How does that sound. Or how about getting membership by reducing the cost until you actually are successful and getting LEO's a fair wage. How does that sound for an offer. That may actually get you an increase in membership.

This is a two way street. We are giving with nothing in return. I don't want more off duty, I want fair pay for my primary duty.

Hell, if it wasn't for the FEA, the lawsuit would never have happened about the 3%. I think I remember hearing it was a done deal by PBA until FEA sued the state. Then the bandwagon jumping started. Grow some nuts Matt and shoot us straight. We can all smell the BS from a mile away, that is what we do for a living.

And don't throw it back in our faces all the time. We are doing what we are paid to do. Even with the crappy pay and working conditions that have deteriorated farther in the last several years.

Matt,

I think that perception becomes reality in many circumstances. Times are tough. Actually, these are the toughest times I have experienced in my career and I've been around a while.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we suffer from a lack of leadership. Since the dawn of time there has been a disconnect between ground troops and the upper echelon. But during the last few years I have seen a tremendous increase in that disconnect. The state has been taking and taking from us. I understand that issues like the retirement, forced use of special comp, etc etc are not something that FHP is doing to hose us. They don't have a choice but to comply with the directives. Having said that, FHP has done nothing to improve our working conditions. My philosophy has always been that the little guy can be messed with by management as long as they are being paid well enough to tolerate it. The current management's position is just the opposite. Despite the fact that we are giving up benefits, seemingly every month, our management feels it is necessary to make our work hours miserable. Look at the number of investigations that are popping up all the time as proof. I would guess that PBA has probably doubled the number of cases they have had to represent for FHP in the last couple of years. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

We don't have anyone in our corner so it is easy to hear things and believe them. I haven't seen a single person in power stand up and fight for us. That's why it is easy for people to believe things like what was mentioned about the legislature wanting a high turnover.

As I mentioned earlier, if we had someone that was willing to stick his or her neck out for us once in a while, morale wouldn't be where it is right now. With the click of a mouse button, the Colonel can fire off a statewide press release about our holiday coverage or the stats from some silly special enforcement initiative so why can't he fire off a press release about our lack of retention due to pay. Why do we continue to "be nice"? Why are people shocked when they find out how much we make? If we actively got the message out about our low pay and manpower shortages, maybe something would finally be done about it. Why can't our Colonel stand up and call the legislature out on the carpet instead of coming up with new and interesting way to make work suck more than it already does.

Now don't get me wrong, pay is not the answer for all of our problems, but it is a darn good start. In this career you pretty much get what you pay for. Next time you walk into Walmart, how many people stocking shelves or running a register have a bachelors degree? More than likely, none of them because the job pays so little. Take Suffolk County New York PD. To my knowledge, they are the highest paid department in the country. And they have a five year waiting list to get hired. They can pick and choose who they want because the pool of qualified candidates is so large. FHP on the other hand simply is looking for people that can meet the minimum qualifications. We should be able to hire people based on their resume but we don't. We're just happy that we found someone that didn't smoke weed in the last six days.

Not long ago, I was grabbing a bite to eat with two other troopers in a place that cut us a break (of course). The topic of conversation turned to finances. Between the THREE of us, we had a grand total of $22.74 in our bank accounts and had six more days to go until payday.

I was told when I first came on that things were never going to improve. Well, those folks were right. In fact, I am falling further and further behind and the light at the end of the tunnel gets dimmer every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett

Now ask yourself this:

I think they are all right, mostly. I think the poster referring to step up or else is simply stating that PBA makes grand promises, and has not been following through. We see PBA on the sidelines. You call this poor communication. I call it sitting on the sidelines not doing anything for us. If you are trying, then why does every citizen in FL think we make 60 - 80 K a year. Why is that? Why is it that PBA wants our dues, and feels it is our lack of membership that is causing this? Is it because PBA only cares about the money they are getting?

I see it this way Matt, Many people are upset with the pay issue and rightfully so. It is not being fixed, or have even come close to being fixed. We hear well at least we kept them from taking your comp time, or leave time, or we helped you get more off duty hours approved. We help you when a discipline comes around. We also pay PBA to bargain for us, and nothing has gotten better. So I ask you this. Why should I tell someone to give up $32 a month of their horrid pay when very little is getting better? Why should I tell a fellow LEO that PBA cares for you and will fight for you when all we keep getting is be happy to have a job?

I want to know right now Matt, no BS, no smoke and mirrors. I am not a Trooper. I want to know that I am being represented equally. I want to know that PBA is going to bat for me. Where can I help without getting in trouble? What else can I do? I pay PBA to bargain for me, and I have not seen any benefit. So here is the question. Why should I, or anyone else, keep paying you (PBA) after this sesssion if I do not see a substantial increase in my pay? That is why I pay you of a few other reasons, that being the main one. Why? Why? Why? If I do a lousy job I will get fired. So why should we keep paying PBA if nothing this year happens? You want membership to increase, then get us money. That is all. Not just Troopers Matt, all State LEO's that PBA was so graciously to separate into separate units. All of us.

You tell me why you deserve me as a paying member, then we can have an honest open dialect. You do what I pay you for Matt, That is the important part of the second post I think you miss. It is not a threat, or an idle promise. I think the poster was right on and obviously it was missed the actual importance of the post. It was not the do this or else part, it was the WHAT THE HELL DO I PAY YOU FOR PART? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME AND MY FELLOW LEO'S PART?

And I agree, I don't care about cars, trucks, boats, tasers, guns, handcuffs anymore. I care about feeding my family, keeping the power on at my house, affording my car, being able to pay daycare on time, not getting my cell phone shut off that the State calls me on all the time. That is where it is. Read into the post, it is clearly a worker upset with how PBA is representing the LEO's. Not just Troopers Matt, even though you won't do this on other boards, Not just Troopers, all LEO's working for the State.

I would love nothing more then to keep paying PBA, give me a reason Why I should!

If PBA actually cares, then pay yourselves what we make and you can see an equal increase in pay with what you get us. How does that sound. Or how about getting membership by reducing the cost until you actually are successful and getting LEO's a fair wage. How does that sound for an offer. That may actually get you an increase in membership.

This is a two way street. We are giving with nothing in return. I don't want more off duty, I want fair pay for my primary duty.

Hell, if it wasn't for the FEA, the lawsuit would never have happened about the 3%. I think I remember hearing it was a done deal by PBA until FEA sued the state. Then the bandwagon jumping started. Grow some nuts Matt and shoot us straight. We can all smell the BS from a mile away, that is what we do for a living.

And don't throw it back in our faces all the time. We are doing what we are paid to do. Even with the crappy pay and working conditions that have deteriorated farther in the last several years.
    I honesty don't think I could have paid you to respond to my post any quicker or any better.

A couple of things here with what you are saying. First, read through the posts on this thread. I don't always throw things back in your face, but I do want you to consider what is driving your anger especially towards your job. Second, PBA is in the fray. Maybe you want picketing and things like that, I don't know, but to suggest we are on the sidelines is not an accurate statement. Also, and this is a little personal, but you are posting as anonymous and I am posting using my name and being about as straight forward as I can be. Yet you are telling me to grow a set and shoot straight.

I get the post completely about why you should or shouldn't pay dues. It wasn't lost on me then, just like it wasn't lost on my part the other 50 times I read it in some form or fashion. I don't press for more membership on this forum and I have been open to everyone who posts. I actually answer more questions from emails from nonmembers than I do making posts.

I know you're mad at me. And I can tell you are new to this forum, because I have read similar comments like yours about a month ago in earlier posts. Or you could just be reposting them as someone new. Anyway, like I said somewhere back in the thread - It is time for the PBA to put up or shut up. Or something to that effect.

Finally, we are pushing for a raise for All State Officers. Not just Troopers.

Now that we have kind of gone through all of this again, can we get back to the point of why I am on here? I completely understand you are mad about your low salaries and you want a raise. That point has never been lost on me. I have been very up front with you on what I believe is a good approach to building support for your raise this year. I suggested you look up your local legislators (State Senator and State Representative) and email or call them. Make the conversation like a hardworking employee asking their boss for a much deserved pay raise. Many of forum viewers did this. I know because I received emails with Legislative responses. That helped us when we sat down with Legislators to discuss a raise. We heard things like "I heard about this from one of my Troopers, or FWC Officers." We were able to get the Senate Budget Chairman (Not just any legislator) Joe Negron to take a public stance on pay for ALL state officers. So I would say the approach has worked up to this point.

We still have a long ways to go, but we are in a good position right now.

You have every right to slam me, but also realize what is happening here on this forum. It is more than just a place to tee off on the PBA.

Matt,

I think that perception becomes reality in many circumstances. Times are tough. Actually, these are the toughest times I have experienced in my career and I've been around a while.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we suffer from a lack of leadership. Since the dawn of time there has been a disconnect between ground troops and the upper echelon. But during the last few years I have seen a tremendous increase in that disconnect. The state has been taking and taking from us. I understand that issues like the retirement, forced use of special comp, etc etc are not something that FHP is doing to hose us. They don't have a choice but to comply with the directives. Having said that, FHP has done nothing to improve our working conditions. My philosophy has always been that the little guy can be messed with by management as long as they are being paid well enough to tolerate it. The current management's position is just the opposite. Despite the fact that we are giving up benefits, seemingly every month, our management feels it is necessary to make our work hours miserable. Look at the number of investigations that are popping up all the time as proof. I would guess that PBA has probably doubled the number of cases they have had to represent for FHP in the last couple of years. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

We don't have anyone in our corner so it is easy to hear things and believe them. I haven't seen a single person in power stand up and fight for us. That's why it is easy for people to believe things like what was mentioned about the legislature wanting a high turnover.

As I mentioned earlier, if we had someone that was willing to stick his or her neck out for us once in a while, morale wouldn't be where it is right now. With the click of a mouse button, the Colonel can fire off a statewide press release about our holiday coverage or the stats from some silly special enforcement initiative so why can't he fire off a press release about our lack of retention due to pay. Why do we continue to "be nice"? Why are people shocked when they find out how much we make? If we actively got the message out about our low pay and manpower shortages, maybe something would finally be done about it. Why can't our Colonel stand up and call the legislature out on the carpet instead of coming up with new and interesting way to make work suck more than it already does.

Now don't get me wrong, pay is not the answer for all of our problems, but it is a darn good start. In this career you pretty much get what you pay for. Next time you walk into Walmart, how many people stocking shelves or running a register have a bachelors degree? More than likely, none of them because the job pays so little. Take Suffolk County New York PD. To my knowledge, they are the highest paid department in the country. And they have a five year waiting list to get hired. They can pick and choose who they want because the pool of qualified candidates is so large. FHP on the other hand simply is looking for people that can meet the minimum qualifications. We should be able to hire people based on their resume but we don't. We're just happy that we found someone that didn't smoke weed in the last six days.

Not long ago, I was grabbing a bite to eat with two other troopers in a place that cut us a break (of course). The topic of conversation turned to finances. Between the THREE of us, we had a grand total of $22.74 in our bank accounts and had six more days to go until payday.

I was told when I first came on that things were never going to improve. Well, those folks were right. In fact, I am falling further and further behind and the light at the end of the tunnel gets dimmer every day.
    Broke Trooper,

You make a lot of good points. I believe it to part of the union's job to close the gap between the command and the Troopers. I have said this before and I will continue to say it. Everyone (Command and Troopers) need to go to bat for each other. It will improve morale.

I really appreciate your comments and please keep posting.

That goes for the last poster I responded to also. I enjoy hearing what everyone has to say.

[quote=Matt Puckett]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Broke Trooper":daufbtmk
    Matt,

Broke Trooper,

You make a lot of good points. I believe it to part of the union's job to close the gap between the command and the Troopers. I have said this before and I will continue to say it. Everyone (Command and Troopers) need to go to bat for each other. It will improve morale.

I really appreciate your comments and please keep posting.

That goes for the last poster I responded to also. I enjoy hearing what everyone has to say.[/quote:daufbtmk]

Don't encourage me Matt. I could type for days on this topic!

One of the interesting things about our pay situation is that it really effects more people than most folks realize.

When I get my paycheck (once a month as you know), the first thing I do is write checks for all of my bills. I pay my mortgage, car payment, cell phone bill, power bill, credit card bill, etc etc. Not one of those bills is paid to a company in Florida. By the time I am done paying for my basic expenses, I no longer have any money to spend locally. The vast majority of my funds go to out of state companies, leaving nothing left for the waitress at the local resteraunt, the locally owned farmers market, or one of the many local attractions that bring all of those visitors to Florida. I used to be able to take short trips within the state or go out to eat once in a while. I have cut virtually all of that out since the increased cost of living has wiped out any excess funds. By paying us so little money, we don't have any funds left over to "trickle up" to the local economy.

How about a huge TV, radio and newespaper campaign? Flood the public about our low pay! How we have 10-12 year guys making the same as new ones. How our agancies have become revolving doors and this cost the public more. Why the public in Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville and all of S FL is now required to wait hours for troopers! They are all leaving for better pay!

Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast