Ask the PBA - Page 43
Page 43 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Re: Ask the PBA

[quote=Matt Puckett]
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett":nv610j66]Here's a link to our video discussion on the Governor's bonus proposal.

[url="http://www.flpba.org/legislative.php
    http://www.flpba.org/legislative.php[/url]
    Matt - are the head legislators inclined to give us an actual raise and not a cop out bonus from what they have said to PBA ?
    They are inclined to give out raises. It is going to come down to revenues to determine the amounts. The good news - revenues are pointing upward.[/quote:nv610j66]

That sounds like good news so far.

Matt,

Since you do not just represent FHP, why are you not caring this much about the other SLEO agencies. Sad I had to come on to the FHP board to discuss issues with PBA. I would say you are about to lose alot more membership if PBA continues to place all the other agencies on the back burner.

So, again. Why are you not doing this on the other boards? Why are you not concerned for the other agencies? Why is it that you and the PBA have not pushed to merge all State LEO functions under FDLE as one agency with an investigative function and patrol function? Why are we, State of FL, so far behind the times and PBA is not fighting to bring our pay in line with current cost of living? Why is it that teachers still have step plans, get pay raises, and now the governor is even using state money to advocate for their pay increases, and yet again, we are looking at a bonus? Why is the State looking to increase the pay of the county workers? Why does a difference in pay for employees in the same class (officers) happen when we are all represented by PBA? I think we know the answer to that question, I am on the FHP board talking to you.

I look forward to hearing your answers and your attempt at softening the blow of reality to the rest of the LEO's you are supposed to give a rats behind about.

Maybe you should consider a Q/A on the other boards, unless corrections is the only loss PBA wants to deal with.

Troopers getting some face time with a union leader- other, better paid, Leo's get jealous, threaten to leave PBA....

Troopers getting some face time with a union leader- other, better paid, Leo's get jealous, threaten to leave PBA....
    My guess is FHP is the biggest of the State LEO agencies so he put a thread here to talk. My guess is PBA is trying to get the same raise for all of its State Officers whether they be FHP, FDLE and the rest. Maybe Matt can get LEO Affairs to sticky this thread on all State Officer boards that are represented by PBA.

My guess is FHP is the biggest of the State LEO agencies so he put a thread here to talk. My guess is PBA is trying to get the same raise for all of its State Officers whether they be FHP, FDLE and the rest. Maybe Matt can get LEO Affairs to sticky this thread on all State Officer boards that are represented by PBA.
    I am using your quote for the last comment you made. It might be easier to do this - We started our own forum on leoaffairs, PBA News, but right now it is not all that popular. That is an understatement.

One thing I have learned here on leoaffairs is you cannot dictate where people visit. So for anyone interested, I am happy to visit your forum, too. I think it is easier if you visit the PBA News forum and we can open a post specific to your agency. I suggested that to another poster recently, but nothing has come from it yet.

I post here regularly because I still get questions. And, I have answered questions from other agency LEOs on this forum, too.

Regardless, I think I have shown a willingness to talk to everyone and that will not change.

PBA is asking for raises all state agencies that we represent. We have posted video discussions about it and those videos can be found in this thread, on the PBA news forum, and on our website.

From the Tallahassee Democrat:

Gov. Rick Scott’s proposal giving state workers more than $330 million in one-time bonuses was seen again as a good start toward ending the 6-year drought on raises for state workers.
    But like other lawmakers and collective bargaining units, Senate Appropriations Chair Joe Negron said the plan needed a little fine tuning to help state law enforcement.
    Negron said officers in agencies like the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the state highway patrol with a decade or more of experience are facing the same pay as rookies.
    “I think issues like that need to be addressed,” Negron said. “I’ll be putting my own plan together.”

Still think PBA isn't working to address the pay in all agencies?

Matt,

Since you do not just represent FHP, why are you not caring this much about the other SLEO agencies. Sad I had to come on to the FHP board to discuss issues with PBA. I would say you are about to lose alot more membership if PBA continues to place all the other agencies on the back burner.

So, again. Why are you not doing this on the other boards? Why are you not concerned for the other agencies? Why is it that you and the PBA have not pushed to merge all State LEO functions under FDLE as one agency with an investigative function and patrol function? Why are we, State of FL, so far behind the times and PBA is not fighting to bring our pay in line with current cost of living? Why is it that teachers still have step plans, get pay raises, and now the governor is even using state money to advocate for their pay increases, and yet again, we are looking at a bonus? Why is the State looking to increase the pay of the county workers? Why does a difference in pay for employees in the same class (officers) happen when we are all represented by PBA? I think we know the answer to that question, I am on the FHP board talking to you.

I look forward to hearing your answers and your attempt at softening the blow of reality to the rest of the LEO's you are supposed to give a rats behind about.

Maybe you should consider a Q/A on the other boards, unless corrections is the only loss PBA wants to deal with.

A vote can be had this June for a new union. I know IUPA wants us back and has been asking for cards to be signed. If PBA (we voted to seperate from other agencies because we were told it would be easier for them to get us a pay raise) gets us a decent raise this year, i'm joining PBA. If not my vote will go to another this June. Three years as a seperate unit an nothing? (Wait we did get our 40 hour work week bumped up to an 80.) Time to move on and give someone else a try. Okay. waiting for all of the smoke and mirors to be posted with the excusses. PBA time to help if you want membership!

Matt,

A vote can be had this June for a new union. I know IUPA wants us back and has been asking for cards to be signed. If PBA (we voted to seperate from other agencies because we were told it would be easier for them to get us a pay raise) gets us a decent raise this year, i'm joining PBA. If not my vote will go to another this June. Three years as a seperate unit an nothing? (Wait we did get our 40 hour work week bumped up to an 80.) Time to move on and give someone else a try. Okay. waiting for all of the smoke and mirors to be posted with the excusses. PBA time to help if you want membership!
    Matt,

Why have we separated all the LEO agencies into small pieces? I don't understand why we have given in to divide and conquer. If PBA is equally trying to get pay raises for all agencies, then it should never matter if we are all together. I guess I believe in strength in numbers. If we are separate, we look like a bunch of selfish greedy idiots that the legislature on occassion throws a bone to to keep happy, while the rest of the bargaining group gets nothing.

I also have an issue that PBA is fighting equally. The year FHP was given the 5% raise I called and spoke to the senior members of PBA (executive) and was told that PBA had nothing to do with that raise (it was internal). Now that it has been a few years I see PBA is now taking credit for those very same raises, when nobody else got squat. So I have to say there is some validity to the concern many officers have that PBA only cares about FHP (Not upset with my Trooper friends, this is not about you personally as I hope you guys get what you can). I have to say PBA is trying to ride the fence. So now, after browsing through these posts and seeing how PBA is taking credit for the raises, the original complaint I made to PBA about unequal bargaining was true. You put up a fight for FHP and got them a raise while you disregarded everyone else. So tell me then Matt, how are you going to equalize the playing field now? We all should be paid the same. Period.

Now I have another suggestion, longevity pay is an issue. I think we should stop proposing base salary increases. We owe nothing to those who do not work here and all you do is increase the long term effect of the pay raise by also applying it to future workers. How about proposing to leave or even reduce starting salary to offset workers with higher years on (so we actually make more then people on FTO) and propose a pay increase only to current workers, leaving the base salary unchanged. This will give flexibility to the legislature to mitigate future expenditures by maintaining a lower starting salary. Lets get people working a raise, not people who havent even applied yet.

Matt,

Matt,

Why have we separated all the LEO agencies into small pieces? I don't understand why we have given in to divide and conquer. If PBA is equally trying to get pay raises for all agencies, then it should never matter if we are all together. I guess I believe in strength in numbers. If we are separate, we look like a bunch of selfish greedy idiots that the legislature on occassion throws a bone to to keep happy, while the rest of the bargaining group gets nothing.

I also have an issue that PBA is fighting equally. The year FHP was given the 5% raise I called and spoke to the senior members of PBA (executive) and was told that PBA had nothing to do with that raise (it was internal). Now that it has been a few years I see PBA is now taking credit for those very same raises, when nobody else got squat. So I have to say there is some validity to the concern many officers have that PBA only cares about FHP (Not upset with my Trooper friends, this is not about you personally as I hope you guys get what you can). I have to say PBA is trying to ride the fence. So now, after browsing through these posts and seeing how PBA is taking credit for the raises, the original complaint I made to PBA about unequal bargaining was true. You put up a fight for FHP and got them a raise while you disregarded everyone else. So tell me then Matt, how are you going to equalize the playing field now? We all should be paid the same. Period.

Now I have another suggestion, longevity pay is an issue. I think we should stop proposing base salary increases. We owe nothing to those who do not work here and all you do is increase the long term effect of the pay raise by also applying it to future workers. How about proposing to leave or even reduce starting salary to offset workers with higher years on (so we actually make more then people on FTO) and propose a pay increase only to current workers, leaving the base salary unchanged. This will give flexibility to the legislature to mitigate future expenditures by maintaining a lower starting salary. Lets get people working a raise, not people who havent even applied yet.

Longevity pay is the key to keep FHP from being a training ground as it has become! Why stay? When it's all said and done, decent pay raises and longevity pay is the key. It will give the new guys something to stay for! The door never closes! They keep leaving!

Murrell said his union's promise to split off a separate bargaining unit for the Florida Highway Patrol also helped the PBA win. :lol:

Page 43 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast