Ask the PBA - Page 40
Page 40 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Re: Ask the PBA

Read Tallahassee Democrat article. Senate Budget Chairman Joe Negron makes comments about Troopers' salaries.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2013 ... ck_check=1

Senator Bill Montford plans to file a bill to address pay raises. That makes three bills for state employee pay raises.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2013 ... ck_check=1

I am glad PBA etc. is out in front of this with the heads of the legislature. It seems to be gaining political legs as far as the teachers stuff. Heck maybe they do deserve more but not at our expense from state coffers. The counties are supposed to negotiate their pay which they do and they are already paid more than us just like the county officers. Teachers avergae 46k in Florida. This point needs to be driven home to the legislature that we are way underpaid compared to county employees/officers including teachers and any money should be spent to get us out of poverty not to score political points with a group already paid better than us.

Here's this week's video discussion

http://www.flpba.org/

I'll take anything they are willing to give me, but is there any consideration to taking a smaller raise in exchange for putting a step plan in place? This raise proposal would be a band-aid. How about doing something that heals the wound? Every year its the same thing. Begging, letter writing, phone calls, and walking away with nothing. Look how long we've gone with nothing but a 3% pay cut? We may not get a thing this year because we have to beg again this year. We used to get a step raise in addition to any state employee COLA raises and beg for additional raises or additional benefits back in the day. Step raises could be broke up in sections. 5 year raise, 10 year raise, 15 year raise, 20 year raise, 25 year raise. Give a Trooper a reason to stick around and something to look forward to and feel like they are being compensated for their knowledge and loyalty. Would make a career with FHP more attractive instead of a job. 12 year troopers wouldn't be making the same as a graduating recruit. If you gave 3% for every step, a 20 year Trooper would be getting a 12% pay raise, which they deserve after years of neglect. The 5 year Trooper would only be getting 3%, but they would know that the raises are coming down the road. Any talk of this or has this already been taken off the table by the powers that be?

Quote Originally Posted by step by step
    I'll take anything they are willing to give me, but is there any consideration to taking a smaller raise in exchange for putting a step plan in place? This raise proposal would be a band-aid. How about doing something that heals the wound? Every year its the same thing. Begging, letter writing, phone calls, and walking away with nothing. Look how long we've gone with nothing but a 3% pay cut? We may not get a thing this year because we have to beg again this year. We used to get a step raise in addition to any state employee COLA raises and beg for additional raises or additional benefits back in the day. Step raises could be broke up in sections. 5 year raise, 10 year raise, 15 year raise, 20 year raise, 25 year raise. Give a Trooper a reason to stick around and something to look forward to and feel like they are being compensated for their knowledge and loyalty. Would make a career with FHP more attractive instead of a job. 12 year troopers wouldn't be making the same as a graduating recruit. If you gave 3% for every step, a 20 year Trooper would be getting a 12% pay raise, which they deserve after years of neglect. The 5 year Trooper would only be getting 3%, but they would know that the raises are coming down the road. Any talk of this or has this already been taken off the table by the powers that be?
    Well, step by step is probably how we get to the separation in salaries. Our proposal bumps everyone with seven years or more up additional 3%. If we get it done then next year we can try to bump up troopers with longer years of service. Increasing the bump for troopers with even longer years of service in the following year, or years. The compression didn't happen over night and realistically it will take some time to get out of it.

We are not asking you to beg for anything. You deserve a raise and everyone knows it. We just have to get the money to fund it.

Here's an encouraging quote from the Senate Budget Chairman Joe Negron -

from the Tallahassee Democrat - Negron said salaries at the Florida Highway Patrol have grabbed his attention, where he said rookies are making nearly the same as their superiors.

“There’s no way that’s fair to pay someone with lesser experience almost the same as someone who’s been there for a number of years,” Negron said. “That’s something I definitely want to look at.”

It's too bad the big and powerful PBA has absolutely NO influence with the Governor or Legislature.

I guess we should count on ASFCME and the teacher's union to help us.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    It's too bad the big and powerful PBA has absolutely NO influence with the Governor or Legislature.

I do agree, like most I work with there is a need for us all to not only get behind our union, but join too. The sad truth is most of us are living from crummy pay check to pay check! The small amount of PBA dues every month would mean lunch for some! I would join, only if the PBA gets me a raise so I can afford it!

I do agree, like most I work with there is a need for us all to not only get behind our union, but join too. The sad truth is most of us are living from crummy pay check to pay check! The small amount of PBA dues every month would mean lunch for some! I would join, only if the PBA gets me a raise so I can afford it!

Wow brother, that's sad!

“There’s no way that’s fair to pay someone with lesser experience almost the same as someone who’s been there for a number of years,” Negron said. “That’s something I definitely want to look at.”
    Funny, I bet is doesn't bother him to pay six figures to people working in the legislature. I.E. Sgt. at Arms Summers 100,000.00 plus. Open your eyes worthless political hacks.

Page 40 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast