Ask the PBA - Page 83
Page 83 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Re: Ask the PBA

I know it is too late for this year, but can PBA pressure talk to the right law makers to get the 3 day waiting period for hand gun purchases to exempt LEOs? It is stupid to make a trained LEO that already has a gun to wait 3 days to purchase another. This is a easy fix that will not cost the state any money.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I know it is too late for this year, but can PBA pressure talk to the right law makers to get the 3 day waiting period for hand gun purchases to exempt LEOs? It is stupid to make a trained LEO that already has a gun to wait 3 days to purchase another. This is a easy fix that will not cost the state any money.

Not only it’s too late, it’s in the State constitution the right to bear arms. There are only 5 ways to amend the constitution and PBA does not have enough umph (Horse Power) nowdays to make that happen.

The legislatures they made an error and left out LEO's, so they cut the fees to obtain a CCW permit and lessen the requirements for LEOs to obtain a CCW permit.

Best advice is to obtain a CCW permit. Its takes about 3 months.

Ballot Initiative Process: To get a petition on the ballot, signatures are needed from 8% of the total number of the electors voting in the last Presidential election, and that must be collected from half of the state's 25 Congressional Districts (13). Currently, the required number of signatures is 611,009 .

Constitutional Convention Florida voters may call a constitutional convention by collecting a designated amount of signatures and then gaining a majority of the vote to the question "Shall a constitutional convention be held

Constitutional Revision Commission: this commission meets every 20 years to examine the constitution of the state and propose the amendments deemed necessary. The last commission met in 2006, next will be in 2026.

Legislative Joint Resolution: The Florida Legislature can pass a joint resolution supported by three-fifths of the membership of each house of the legislature.

Taxation and Budget Reform Commission This 22-member Commission will meet in 2007 and every 20th year thereafter.

Matt,

I was glad to see that the state backed off of their attempt to tie the bonus in with activity. I'm on the higher end of the activity scale but I just dont think police officers can be judged by how many tickets they write, especially in a diverse state with large metropolitan areas and very rural areas. I noticed that within about 72 hours of the PBA media release, the state back pedaled very quickly. So, with that in mind, why dont we send out a bunch more media releases and news interviews about our horrible pay? I see city chiefs and sheriffs standing in front of cameras screaming for the purse holders to open the bag and give decent raises to their officers but fhp never does that. Why can't the pba use their news contacts and have a state wide series on our low pay and manpower?

Still haven't seen a Senate companion bill for the raise that's being proposed in the house. Am I missing it or has no senator come forward with one?

Quote Originally Posted by media
    Matt,

I was glad to see that the state backed off of their attempt to tie the bonus in with activity. I'm on the higher end of the activity scale but I just dont think police officers can be judged by how many tickets they write, especially in a diverse state with large metropolitan areas and very rural areas. I noticed that within about 72 hours of the PBA media release, the state back pedaled very quickly. So, with that in mind, why dont we send out a bunch more media releases and news interviews about our horrible pay? I see city chiefs and sheriffs standing in front of cameras screaming for the purse holders to open the bag and give decent raises to their officers but fhp never does that. Why can't the pba use their news contacts and have a state wide series on our low pay and manpower?
    I really think that the majority of the public (maybe even Rick Scott) thinks we make more than we actually do. Maybe the actual facts put out there might open up some eyes. Right now a 25 year trooper is making 42 to $43,000. a year. A new trooper is around 35 to $36,000. a year. If you wanted to try and retire, it's appalling that as a 25 year trooper you would retire at just above starting salary.... that sure is a great feeling after being loyal and all of the sacrifices you and your family have made through those years, not to mention all the stress and unkind punishment you and your body have been through after a whole career. The guys with 30+ years that had the step raises through thier career are retiring half way decent in the $50's or $60's and that is still not that good either. After all those years (especially after having to work all the extra side jobs, offduty and etc.) your just tired and would like to enjoy some of the years you have left, but you cant afford to retire.

Any word on the senate proposal for the raise?

Looks like nothing in either final budgets. Think we came up short this year....even with a budget surplus and an election year. Better pray Crist gets elected or the next 4 years will be brutal for us if they screwed us this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Any word on the senate proposal for the raise?

There is actually still wording for the PBA RAISE in the Houses final budget but not in the Senate. PBA will have to push hard to get the Senate on board. Hell of a note with a huge budget surplus that we still have to fight.

Can anyone from PBA confirm that we are not getting any type of raise?

House budget still has a 5% raise in it.

Senate budget does not.

They will work out all the differences in conference which starts next week. Session ends May 2nd. We have a raise in play and plenty of time left.

Page 83 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast