Ask the PBA - Page 75
Page 75 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Re: Ask the PBA

I think this is the year to be tough. The legislators want our votes . It's time for the republicans to get off of their wallets or we vote them out one by one. The republicans have had control of state government long enough. The republicans have crapped on us for years. Draw a line in the sand and play hardball. Meet with Charlie Crist and make a deal with him. Whatever it takes to bring our pay up to a decent level.

Everyone forgot to mention the Colonel found money somewhere and brought all the captains' pay to 80,000 minimum. That showed the brass taking care of their own. We should have starting pay brackets for every rank, not just lieutenants and above. FHP has the money, it was proven by raising the captains' salaries.

Matt, Last year they did $1400. for those less than $40,000. and only $1,000 for those over $40,000. I'm sitting at 24 years on and a brand new rookie making a few thousand less. Many years ago when it was said that we needed to raise the base pay to attract qualified applicants. The Colonel said "we can only give the folks with 5years or less a raise to bring up the base". So the guys with more than 5 years were left out in the cold and told they would be taken care of the following year, needless to say it never came. The over 5 year group should be taken care of for their loyalty in waiting it out.

Quote Originally Posted by badrat1
    Matt, Last year they did $1400. for those less than $40,000. and only $1,000 for those over $40,000. I'm sitting at 24 years on and a brand new rookie making a few thousand less. Many years ago when it was said that we needed to raise the base pay to attract qualified applicants. The Colonel said "we can only give the folks with 5years or less a raise to bring up the base". So the guys with more than 5 years were left out in the cold and told they would be taken care of the following year, needless to say it never came. The over 5 year group should be taken care of for their loyalty in waiting it out.
    I've heard most of the 5 and under guys that have left say "why stay?" They look at the 20 plus guys maybe making a few thousand more than them and don't want to be that guy 15 years down the road! I'm sure the cost of all the academies are a lot more than retaining folks!

Can anyone tell us what is going on with the 3% outcome? I haven't heard anything in ages in regards to are we getting our money back or what????

Matt,
    It is time for the PBA to stand up and fight for some type of step pay plan. I agree with one of the previous posters that expressed discontent on Troopers with up to 24 years on making almost as much as a ROOKIE Trooper.This piece meal raise every 5 years just isn't going to cut it. All we are doing is exacerbating the problem and most Troopers feel the pay compression issue should be foremost on the agenda of the PBA.
    The new Troopers know not to stay with FHP. Why would you these days? You will never increase your base pay and will make as much as a rookie Trooper 20 years down the road. STOP the revolving door of training Troopers only to have them go on to other agencies.
    Now, if the same low pay for all Troopers and a constant revolving door policy is what the patrol wants, then the PBA needs to bring that to light so ALL who apply for FHP know what they are getting into. Find out what it costs to recruit, train, outfit, Troopers only to have them leave constantly versus paying Troopers to stay on longer. This should be your job!
    Get on the ball PBA, it is time to start earning your pay!!!

When I was in the acadamy I joined PBA and continued to be a goodstanding member until IUPA came in as our BU.( I again joined PBA after IUPA was out.) I had believed that the PBA was where you needed to be for strong representation. I had called upon PBA twice during my time with PBA and both times it was as if I was troubling them. There again as with so many, I (we) stayed loyal to PBA and were treated like the redheaded stepchild. PBA did alot and gathered support and drive for the other agencies you represented and we were on the back burner. (Thats all water under the bridge now and time to deal with the present). The same as I and many others feel, we stood by FHP and PBA and get nothing but further behind. It really is time to right the wrongs of the past. Loyalty and sacrifice should account for something, not "yep I put in 25 or 30 years, gave up so much priceless time that is gone forever and can never be replaced ( not being there for your family, watching the kids grow up, missing their ball games, birthday parties, etc. Not being with your spouse at some of the times they need you the most, opening the door for divorce and infidelity. Many spouses and children dont understand why we have to work our shifts, side jobs, offduty and such.) Then hopefully you survived your career and finally retire making just above starting salary. Some consulation and you wonder why you did it. It should be like a bright neon sign that there is ONE HELL OF A PROBLEM, has been for too long of a time. This needs to be brought to light. Many of the general public think that if you have been on 25 or 30 years that your making 60 to $65,000 a year. I dont know how to powers to be can sleep at night. It has been a true injustice that needs fixed. We have paid our dues (literally) to you and the FHP. For what its worth, like peeing uphill. Thanks for listening to the rant, sorry for the bad grammer and structure.

Quote Originally Posted by badrat1

Badrat1 - there was a raise of 5% for everyone with over five years of service on July 1, plus the $1,400 and $1,000 based on salary in Oct. Those with less than five years got a 3%.

Quote Originally Posted by badrat
    When I was in the acadamy I joined PBA and continued to be a goodstanding member until IUPA came in as our BU.( I again joined PBA after IUPA was out.) I had believed that the PBA was where you needed to be for strong representation. I had called upon PBA twice during my time with PBA and both times it was as if I was troubling them. There again as with so many, I (we) stayed loyal to PBA and were treated like the redheaded stepchild. PBA did alot and gathered support and drive for the other agencies you represented and we were on the back burner. (Thats all water under the bridge now and time to deal with the present). The same as I and many others feel, we stood by FHP and PBA and get nothing but further behind. It really is time to right the wrongs of the past. Loyalty and sacrifice should account for something, not "yep I put in 25 or 30 years, gave up so much priceless time that is gone forever and can never be replaced ( not being there for your family, watching the kids grow up, missing their ball games, birthday parties, etc. Not being with your spouse at some of the times they need you the most, opening the door for divorce and infidelity. Many spouses and children dont understand why we have to work our shifts, side jobs, offduty and such.) Then hopefully you survived your career and finally retire making just above starting salary. Some consulation and you wonder why you did it. It should be like a bright neon sign that there is ONE HELL OF A PROBLEM, has been for too long of a time. This needs to be brought to light. Many of the general public think that if you have been on 25 or 30 years that your making 60 to $65,000 a year. I dont know how to powers to be can sleep at night. It has been a true injustice that needs fixed. We have paid our dues (literally) to you and the FHP. For what its worth, like peeing uphill. Thanks for listening to the rant, sorry for the bad grammer and structure.
    Badrat - You don't have to apologize for anything.

Believe it or not, the Legislature understands exactly what you are talking about. We are trying to get everyone (veteran, mid career and new hires) moving up together with at least a double digit raise over the two year period (last year and this year). A lot of ground was lost and everyone needs a raise.

I understand that there are trust issues. All I can do is try to prove to all of you through our actions that we are committed to righting the wrongs of the past. Unfortunately, fixing the wrongs is not going to happen over night.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest 1101
    Matt,
    It is time for the PBA to stand up and fight for some type of step pay plan. I agree with one of the previous posters that expressed discontent on Troopers with up to 24 years on making almost as much as a ROOKIE Trooper.This piece meal raise every 5 years just isn't going to cut it. All we are doing is exacerbating the problem and most Troopers feel the pay compression issue should be foremost on the agenda of the PBA.
    The new Troopers know not to stay with FHP. Why would you these days? You will never increase your base pay and will make as much as a rookie Trooper 20 years down the road. STOP the revolving door of training Troopers only to have them go on to other agencies.
    Now, if the same low pay for all Troopers and a constant revolving door policy is what the patrol wants, then the PBA needs to bring that to light so ALL who apply for FHP know what they are getting into. Find out what it costs to recruit, train, outfit, Troopers only to have them leave constantly versus paying Troopers to stay on longer. This should be your job!
    Get on the ball PBA, it is time to start earning your pay!!!
    I agree a raise every five years is never going to cut it. Hopefully, we get you another round of raises this year. Our plan is to move everyone up with at least a double digit % raise over the two year period (last year and this year). After that we can start to address the real disparities and there are many. Obviously, the step plan is a key to fixing the problem.

I will say this again, I understand that trust is a problem right now. Hopefully, our actions will show you that we are committed to fixing this problem.

Page 75 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast