Ask the PBA - Page 47
Page 47 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Re: Ask the PBA

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    The reason that Matt is on this board now is because he knows that there is a challenge to PBA from IUPA wanting to take over. A little secret for you guys that have not been around too long is this. There used to be a website called FLORIDA STATE COP .COM when we were under IUPA . Matt got on there promising everything just like he is doing now. And in 2006 PBA got in . But we didnt hear SHIT from Matt until just recently because he is trying to sucker us back into voting for the PBA again. Matt will lose his job if the Troopers vote him out, he is basiclly a hatchetman for the PBA and does nothing for the road trooper.
    Against my better judgment I am going to respond to this.

Well, I don't know what promises I am making to you. Please list all these promises. I am just answering questions and trying to dispel rumors.

Here's a question for you and the others on here that post negative stuff about everything and anything, why do I cause you such discomfort? If I am so horrible why do you care what I have to say?

Let's pretend all you say is true. So the worse thing I am doing is talking to people on here who have questions and want answers. PBA and I are being held accountable? If this is some kind of trick I am trying to pull, I'm not doing it so well.

Most feel like the PBA is waving “the carrot” in front of their face again! The troopers just want a raise, and feel that you just want a job. If the PBA wants new membership and remain the representation for FHP they need to pull something great out of their hat this legislative year! When we have troopers with kids that qualify for government aid, there’s a problem! IUPA can’t receive all the blame. They only represented FHP for five years out of the last 35. PBA has way more skeletons in their closet when it comes to the pay issue. If the PBA can pull it off, they'll have my membership again.

The reason that Matt is on this board now is because he knows that there is a challenge to PBA from IUPA wanting to take over. A little secret for you guys that have not been around too long is this. There used to be a website called FLORIDA STATE COP .COM when we were under IUPA . Matt got on there promising everything just like he is doing now. And in 2006 PBA got in . But we didnt hear SHIT from Matt until just recently because he is trying to sucker us back into voting for the PBA again. Matt will lose his job if the Troopers vote him out, he is basiclly a hatchetman for the PBA and does nothing for the road trooper.

Well, I don't know what promises I am making to you. Please list all these promises. I am just answering questions and trying to dispel rumors.

Here's a question for you and the others on here that post negative stuff about everything and anything, why do I cause you such discomfort? If I am so horrible why do you care what I have to say?

Let's pretend all you say is true. So the worse thing I am doing is talking to people on here who have questions and want answers. PBA and I are being held accountable? If this is some kind of trick I am trying to pull, I'm not doing it so well.

Most feel like the PBA is waving “the carrot” in front of their face again! The troopers just want a raise, and feel that you just want a job. If the PBA wants new membership and remain the representation for FHP they need to pull something great out of their hat this legislative year! When we have troopers with kids that qualify for government aid, there’s a problem! IUPA can’t receive all the blame. They only represented FHP for five years out of the last 35. PBA has way more skeletons in their closet when it comes to the pay issue. If the PBA can pull it off, they'll have my membership again.

Wow great post! :roll:

Matt:
    Can you give us some info on the changes in state laws regarding off duty and retired officer carrying in other states. Some states or cities have passed laws limiting magazines to seven rounds. Apparently applies to active leos too. FOP has posted some limited info on other Leo affairs sites. Can the PBA lawyers look into this and help. Could prevent an arrest or discipline for members.
    Here's a list of reciprocity states with Florida. Make sure you read the notes on page two.
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/ ... tyList.pdf

Unions dont have the power with the state like they do with the locals in Florida it appears but I would say the PBA is the best option with the state for the most part. It seems state officers fared worse with other unions compared to PBA overall. Hopefully they get us a much needed raise + compression raise this session.

Matt, Iam a PBA member and I have been very grateful for having the union represent me in a grievance or two. I think that any officer that does not have some kind of representation by a union lawyer is just plain dumb. I tell my co workers all the time "what if you get into a shooting", or a violator sues you personally, who is going to help you?!!! They are apathetic and think it wont happen to them. Matt some of us are just leary of the PBA because you were there at the beginning of the last union voting cycle and then left us. Even if the legislature gave us a 20 percent raise we feel that you will leave us again until another union wants to take PBA's place.

Matt, Iam a PBA member and I have been very grateful for having the union represent me in a grievance or two. I think that any officer that does not have some kind of representation by a union lawyer is just plain dumb. I tell my co workers all the time "what if you get into a shooting", or a violator sues you personally, who is going to help you?!!! They are apathetic and think it wont happen to them. Matt some of us are just leary of the PBA because you were there at the beginning of the last union voting cycle and then left us. Even if the legislature gave us a 20 percent raise we feel that you will leave us again until another union wants to take PBA's place.
    I understand. I have said this many times on this forum - PBA has not been a great communicator. We have to improve on this and we cannot just limit our contacts to members. All troopers deserve to know what the PBA is up to on their behalf.

I hope one of things Troopers have taken from this forum is that your chapter and the PBA have been there. We have just done a lousy job communicating what we are doing.

I like this forum and, as you can see, it is attracting other officers from around the state. We have taken a great number of suggestions and put them into practice. PBA is no where near perfect and we have to constantly evolve. I don't know if that has been said before, but it is a fact. I believe we are evolving and I am glad many of you are helping us do this evolution.

Again your comments are well taken. I really appreciate your insight.

Number one issue! Fix the pay for the ones that would like to stick around!

Matt,

The bottom line is that if you are an FHP trooper, you are broke unless you work in an area that has a lot of offduty. Then you're working way more hours than you should. We literally have troopers that can't afford to buy or keep a house. We have troopers that are living in dumpy old trailers and we have troopers living in rv's. We are the lowest paid state agency in the country, yet we live in a very populated state that is mostly inhabited by folks that retired from up north where they actually pay cops what they are worth, and sometimes more.

DHSMV has an "Ask The Executive Director" forum. She responds to emails from the employees. The number one question is about pay. The only answer she gives is that pay is not controlled by DHSMV or by FHP. In fact, in her last reply, she basically said that she would no longer answer questions about pay. To me, that is unacceptable. There is absolutely no reason that I should be able to pick up a copy of the Tallahassee Democrat and read an article about the entire FHP command staff being trespasses from the capitol building for pitching a fit over our miserable pay.

Our command staff doesn't care. That's the bottom line. This administration takes more pride in coming up with new policies to get us in trouble than they care about helping us make a decent living. If we had just ONE person at the top that would walk ihe capital with every intention of getting kicked out or getting us a raise, troopers would follow that leader to the end of the earth. But we DON'T have anyone.like that.

Post Re: Ask the PBA

Please excuse all of the typos. I think my typing fingers are taking the day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Trooper
    Matt,

The bottom line is that if you are an FHP trooper, you are broke unless you work in an area that has a lot of offduty. Then you're working way more hours than you should. We literally have troopers that can't afford to buy or keep a house. We have troopers that are living in dumpy old trailers and we have troopers living in rv's. We are the lowest paid state agency in the country, yet we live in a very populated state that is mostly inhabited by folks that retired from up north where they actually pay cops what they are worth, and sometimes more.

DHSMV has an "Ask The Executive Director" forum. She responds to emails from the employees. The number one question is about pay. The only answer she gives is that pay is not controlled by DHSMV or by FHP. In fact, in her last reply, she basically said that she would no longer answer questions about pay. To me, that is unacceptable. There is absolutely no reason that I should be able to pick up a copy of the Tallahassee Democrat and read an article about the entire FHP command staff being trespasses from the capitol building for pitching a fit over our miserable pay.

Our command staff doesn't care. That's the bottom line. This administration takes more pride in coming up with new policies to get us in trouble than they care about helping us make a decent living. If we had just ONE person at the top that would walk ihe capital with every intention of getting kicked out or getting us a raise, troopers would follow that leader to the end of the earth. But we DON'T have anyone.like that.

Great post!

Page 47 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast