Ask the PBA - Page 41
Page 41 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Re: Ask the PBA

If the teachers get a boost from state coffers after getting county money and better pay than us despite them making less than local officers that will be a disgrace imo. I hope PBA explains to the legislatue how underpaid we are compared to county and city officers/ employees including teachers.

This is JUST the City of Tallahassee's step pay plan for their officers

http://www.talgov.com/hr/hr-police-fire.aspx

DO I NEED TO SAY MORE?!?!?
    :evil:

Video Discussion with PBA's General Counsel Hal Johnson on use of DAVID.

http://www.flpba.org/legal.php

Quote Originally Posted by me111

PBA negotiates that local contract, I have seen it. I get your point, but you are preaching to the choir. Or at least a singer in the choir.

As much as we all would like contract negotiations with the state to work like they do locally, it doesn't. When it comes to step pay plans and pay raises, the Legislature holds the trump card. They allocate the dollars.

That is not an excuse, but acknowledgement of what we are up against.

We put forward a modest one year pay plan with a step increase for everyone with seven years or more. Our task is to lobby to fund it. Everyone understands more is needed, but realistically that is going to take time.

There is a cautious optimism swirling around the Legislature right now. They are seeing increased revenues and everyone has a hand out. The Senate President, the Speaker, and the Senate Budget Chairman have stated they want to fund pay raises this year. The Budget Chairman spoke about dealing with compression issues between new troopers and veteran troopers. Our message is hitting the mark.

Wow, one of the few places where the cops make more than the firemen.

Matt
    I think you guys are finally getting it! Stay the course on this. Its been a long time since I have seen the PBA actually going about this the correct way.

FHP has had pay problems for 30 years. Get a clue new guys, go apply local or Fed; this ships on autopilot hitting every glacier in sight. Eventually it'll sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett

PBA negotiates that local contract, I have seen it. I get your point, but you are preaching to the choir. Or at least a singer in the choir.

As much as we all would like contract negotiations with the state to work like they do locally, it doesn't. When it comes to step pay plans and pay raises, the Legislature holds the trump card. They allocate the dollars.

That is not an excuse, but acknowledgement of what we are up against.

We put forward a modest one year pay plan with a step increase for everyone with seven years or more. Our task is to lobby to fund it. Everyone understands more is needed, but realistically that is going to take time.

There is a cautious optimism swirling around the Legislature right now. They are seeing increased revenues and everyone has a hand out. The Senate President, the Speaker, and the Senate Budget Chairman have stated they want to fund pay raises this year. The Budget Chairman spoke about dealing with compression issues between new troopers and veteran troopers. Our message is hitting the mark.
    The County Commissioners/City Council hold the trump card at the local level - no difference there. I will admit its probably easier to get their attention at the local level since they think you can affect their election outcomes more at the level while only a Tally state legislator or similar area would be as worried at the state level. Still we must stand our grand and drive the point through that state money needs to go to state officers who are underpaid big time to the locals especially those with experience at the state.

Keep up the dialogue PBA. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by devil pup
    Matt
    I think you guys are finally getting it! Stay the course on this. Its been a long time since I have seen the PBA actually going about this the correct way.
    Will do. Thank you for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest

The County Commissioners/City Council hold the trump card at the local level - no difference there. I will admit its probably easier to get their attention at the local level since they think you can affect their election outcomes more at the level while only a Tally state legislator or similar area would be as worried at the state level. Still we must stand our grand and drive the point through that state money needs to go to state officers who are underpaid big time to the locals especially those with experience at the state.

Keep up the dialogue PBA. Thanks.
    Very accurate statements. It is not just reelections though. They have to have a personal connection to the issue. An area with a small state employee presence is less likely to get attention. The advantage you have as a Trooper is your visibility in every area. That is why making that local legislative connection is so important. Remember you are not alone in this, the local officers are making the connections, too, and they will help you get know your local legislator.

It may not always feel like it, but we are all in this together. The FRS reform made it clear that officers from different agencies are connected. Let's never forget that and continue to work together.

Page 41 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast