Ask the PBA - Page 49
Page 49 of 98 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Re: Ask the PBA

What PBA really needs to do is help us organize and have an area on their website where we can sign up to go to Tally during the session, and tell us what dates and who to lobby. PBA has deep pockets from what I have observed. They dont get their money from the members dues. They get their money from phone solicitations etc ( I remember back in the day when we were under IUPA, I had a PBA solicitor call my house phone asking for donations for the FHP because they represented us, even though they did not)PBA needs to spend some money and tell us when to be in Tallly, buy some PBA shirts, pay for the hotel rooms , then we meet with each other the night before, consolidate a game plan on who to lobby, and then execute our plan. That my friends is what real unions do. The politicians need to see our faces and speak with them. Also I feel as a PBA member that you guys need to do a better job of recruiting new members. Pulling dunb SH!t like not sending out daybooks and PBA MEMBER 2013 vehicle stickers smacks of were just trying to save a few bucks. Also send out flyers to the officers telling them of the risks and benefits of belonging and not belonging to PBA, me myself Iam a Trooper that has been on for over 10 years and understands the perils of not being represented by a PBA lawyer in the case of a shooting or at fault crash or just being sued in civiil court. In closing I respect Matt even more as a human being for atl east having the balls to come on this forum and take the heat for alot of lets be honest, A LOT OF ****ING BULLSHIT that he dosent deserve , and really our anger needs to be aimed at the higher ups in Tally for not caring about retaining a well trained Tropper/officer. P.S. FAST is super worthless and they have done nothing to better the highway patrol

From previous poster -
    They dont get their money from the members dues. They get their money from phone solicitations etc
    Many people believe this to be true, but solicitations are not used in that manner by the PBA. As I have stated before, PBA still conducts phone solicitations, but the money generated is much smaller than in the 1980s and 1990s (mainly because more people are moving exclusively to cell phones). The money collected gets placed into our Heart Fund (our death and disability fund) or scholarships.

The common misconception about fundraising is that PBA uses it to then make political donations which is not true and is in most circumstances illegal.

The overwhelming majority of revenue collected by the PBA comes from membership dues.

From previous poster -
    PBA needs to spend some money and tell us when to be in Tallly, buy some PBA shirts, pay for the hotel rooms , then we meet with each other the night before, consolidate a game plan on who to lobby, and then execute our plan. That my friends is what real unions do. The politicians need to see our faces and speak with them.
    I have a suggestion on this subject. Why don't we get people like you who want to come up to Tallahassee to join me and the other lobbyists for a few days up here and meet with Legislators. The start slow approach. If after doing that you still feel like holding a larger rally we are open to the idea.

I really think if you came up here and worked with us like I'm suggesting for a few days or even one day (I know time is not something you have a lot of), it would change your perspective on things. Please contact me at matt@flpba.org and we can work out the arrangements.

This isn't being cheap, it is being efficient.

The Legislature has one week left of interim committee meetings (Next week). There will be a one week break and then session officially begins. The last two months have been busy in terms of issues that matter to you.

Let's recap:
    The Governor released his budget proposal which included a onetime bonus for all state employees ($1,200.00), along with merit increases for select individuals within an agency. PBA appreciates the gesture, but we made it known that real raises are necessary. The Senate and House Legislative Leaders were much more receptive to our position. That is one issue we are lobbying during the session on your behalf.

FRS pension reform is the other really big issue that we will handle during the session. There is a proposal to close the pension plan to all new hires after January 1, 2014. Everyone hired prior to that date will be able to remain in the pension plan. We are concerned by this proposal, because to could have severe financial consequences to the overall funding for the pension plan. It also could put the new hires in a defined contribution plan that doesn't provide enough for retirement and it could have severe consequences for family members of an officers killed or injured in the line of duty.

We will also be involved in the agency budgeting process and the issues are many.

Session is a marathon. The really weighty issues seldom get resolved until the last days of the session. Your pay and pension are weighty issues so things are not going to completely take shape until the end. I will do everything I can to keep you informed on where things stand. My one note of caution is don't let one bad report from me throw you into a panic. Session requires patience.

I look forward to staying in touch with all of you during the session on this forum.

I am also very serious, if anyone is interested in joining us up here to see how things happen please contact me at matt@flpba.org.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett
    The Legislature has one week left of interim committee meetings (Next week). There will be a one week break and then session officially begins. The last two months have been busy in terms of issues that matter to you.

Let's recap:
    The Governor released his budget proposal which included a onetime bonus for all state employees ($1,200.00), along with merit increases for select individuals within an agency. PBA appreciates the gesture, but we made it known that real raises are necessary. The Senate and House Legislative Leaders were much more receptive to our position. That is one issue we are lobbying during the session on your behalf.

FRS pension reform is the other really big issue that we will handle during the session. There is a proposal to close the pension plan to all new hires after January 1, 2014. Everyone hired prior to that date will be able to remain in the pension plan. We are concerned by this proposal, because to could have severe financial consequences to the overall funding for the pension plan. It also could put the new hires in a defined contribution plan that doesn't provide enough for retirement and it could have severe consequences for family members of an officers killed or injured in the line of duty.

We will also be involved in the agency budgeting process and the issues are many.

Session is a marathon. The really weighty issues seldom get resolved until the last days of the session. Your pay and pension are weighty issues so things are not going to completely take shape until the end. I will do everything I can to keep you informed on where things stand. My one note of caution is don't let one bad report from me throw you into a panic. Session requires patience.

I look forward to staying in touch with all of you during the session on this forum.

I am also very serious, if anyone is interested in joining us up here to see how things happen please contact me at matt@flpba.org.
    Matt,

I will email you shortly on coming up to help. What is the best time for us to come up? Committee, session, when? Could you also give some guidance on contacting our representatives. I have been told by command staff that it is a fine line between contacting them and lobbying. I think some people are afraid to make contact with the legislature because we don't want to be put on the hot seat and in trouble with our agencies.

Also I think people are at a point where this issue is beyond enough. I am willing to put in some extra time. I think PBA does a terrible job on communication. I like the idea of a shared sight for all of us, all chapters in SLEO, to get together and work together on this. Can you guys reach out to the membership to spread the word. I think the response would be good, well I hope it would.

I wouldn't take the posts personally, Officers are just extremely frustrated. You just so happen to be the only PBA person reaching out. I think this furthers the lack of communication on PBA's part.

I will send my representative an email today. I just want to know the line not to cross as not to get in trouble.

Let's recap:

Matt,

Just sent you an email and it was returned undeliverable.

FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Guest

Let's recap:

Matt,

I will email you shortly on coming up to help. What is the best time for us to come up? Committee, session, when? Could you also give some guidance on contacting our representatives. I have been told by command staff that it is a fine line between contacting them and lobbying. I think some people are afraid to make contact with the legislature because we don't want to be put on the hot seat and in trouble with our agencies.

Also I think people are at a point where this issue is beyond enough. I am willing to put in some extra time. I think PBA does a terrible job on communication. I like the idea of a shared sight for all of us, all chapters in SLEO, to get together and work together on this. Can you guys reach out to the membership to spread the word. I think the response would be good, well I hope it would.

I wouldn't take the posts personally, Officers are just extremely frustrated. You just so happen to be the only PBA person reaching out. I think this furthers the lack of communication on PBA's part.

I will send my representative an email today. I just want to know the line not to cross as not to get in trouble.
    Great questions. First even when I take something personally, I get over it real quick. I have thick skin, but thanks for your comments about it.

My best suggestion for contacting local legislators is to first do it off duty either by phone or personal email account. Make sure you let them know who you are and where you work, but you are also asking them to support the PBA pay proposal. That pay proposal is a 6% across-the-board with an additional 3% for anyone with over 7 years of service. This proposal is for FHP, State Law Enforcement Officers, and FDLE Special Agents. Here's how the conversation should go. You are a hardworking employee, you haven't had a raise in awhile, and you believe you are doing a great job. Stay positive and do not get upset if you do not like the reply back. Not everyone gets a "YES" on the first try, or even the third try.

As for communication, I have to agree with you. However, are you on our email list? If not that maybe why you don't feel like you receive much from the PBA. Please email me and we can set you up on it. matt@flpba.org. We can discuss the rest of the questions via email or phone.

Let's recap:

Matt,

Just sent you an email and it was returned undeliverable.

FYI
    Try this one

Pbamail@flpba.org

[quote=Matt Puckett]
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett":3eyy8zvg]The Legislature has one week left of interim committee meetings (Next week). There will be a one week break and then session officially begins. The last two months have been busy in terms of issues that matter to you.

Let's recap:

I am also very serious, if anyone is interested in joining us up here to see how things happen please contact me at [email="matt@flpba.org
    matt@flpba.org[/email].
    Matt,

Great questions. First even when I take something personally, I get over it real quick. I have thick skin, but thanks for your comments about it.

My best suggestion for contacting local legislators is to first do it off duty either by phone or personal email account. Make sure you let them know who you are and where you work, but you are also asking them to support the PBA pay proposal. That pay proposal is a 6% across-the-board with an additional 3% for anyone with over 7 years of service. This proposal is for FHP, State Law Enforcement Officers, and FDLE Special Agents. Here's how the conversation should go. You are a hardworking employee, you haven't had a raise in awhile, and you believe you are doing a great job. Stay positive and do not get upset if you do not like the reply back. Not everyone gets a "YES" on the first try, or even the third try.

As for communication, I have to agree with you. However, are you on our email list? If not that maybe why you don't feel like you receive much from the PBA. Please email me and we can set you up on it. matt@flpba.org. We can discuss the rest of the questions via email or phone.[/quote:3eyy8zvg]

Are these pay raises going to apply to high ranking supervisors also if they are approved by the legislature?

From a previous post
    Are these pay raises going to apply to high ranking supervisors also if they are approved by the legislature?
    The raise proposal is only for employees covered by the bargaining agreement. The Legislature may decide to include upper management, but that is not our proposal.

We emailed the information in quotes below this morning. If you missed it, here's a copy.

Florida PBA's General Counsel Hal Johnson Presents Pay Raise Proposal
    During the Joint Select Committee on Collective Bargaining

Please click on the video link below to watch Mr. Hal Johnson present PBA's pay raise proposal for the State Law Enforcement Officers Bargaining Unit; the Florida Highway Patrol Bargaining Unit and the FDLE Special Agents Bargaining Unit.
    Mr. Johnson's comments begin at the 56:14 mark.

http://thefloridachannel.org/video/2181 ... argaining/

Page 49 of 98 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast