Florida Window Tint Law
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Florida Window Tint Law

Just passing this on to anyone that may not know this..

A friend was stopped by MBPD and the officer stated there was NO LAW allowing Private Investigators to have Black Tinted Windows darker than the legal %. Here is the FL Statute stating who is EXEMPT from having Blacked out Tinted windows.. (Even the front windshield can be tinted and blacked out and still be legal for the below listed exemptions)

NEW Legal updates on Window Tint

FS: 316.29545; Window Sun screening EXCLUSIONS; Medical Exemption; certain law enforcement vehicles and PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS vehicles are exempt:

(1) The department shall issue medical exemption certificates to persons who are afflicted with Lupus, any autoimmune disease or other medical conditions which require a limited exposure to light, which certificates shall entitle the person to whom the certificate is issued to have sun screening material on the windshield, side windows and windows behind the driver which is in violation of the requirements of ss 316.2951, 316.2957. The department shall consult with the Medical Advisory Board established in 322.125 for guidance with respect to the autoimmune diseases and other medical conditions which shall be included on the form of the medical certificate authorized by this section. At a minimum, the medical exemption certificate shall include a vehicle description with the make, model, year, vehicle identification number, medical exemption decal number issued for the vehicle, and the name of the person or persons who are the registered owners of the vehicle. A medical exemption certificate shall be nontransferable and shall become null and void upon the sale or transfer of the vehicle identified on the certificate.

(2) The department shall exempt all law enforcement vehicles used in undercover or canine operations from the window sun screening requirements in 316.2951 and 316.2957.

(3) The department shall exempt from the window sun screening restrictions 316.2953 and 316.2954 and 316.2956 vehicles that are OWNED or LEASED by PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS or PRIVATE INVESTIGATIVE AGENCIES licensed under chapter 493 fss.

(4) The department may charge a fee in an amount sufficient to defray the expenses of issuing a medical exemption certificate in sub. 1

Be Safe Out there.. Wear Your Vests !

Re: Florida Window Tint Law

EDITED BY MOD333.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Line
    Just passing this on to anyone that may not know this..

A friend was stopped by MBPD and the officer stated there was NO LAW allowing Private Investigators to have Black Tinted Windows darker than the legal %. Here is the FL Statute stating who is EXEMPT from having Blacked out Tinted windows.. (Even the front windshield can be tinted and blacked out and still be legal for the below listed exemptions)

NEW Legal updates on Window Tint

FS: 316.29545; Window Sun screening EXCLUSIONS; Medical Exemption; certain law enforcement vehicles and PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS vehicles are exempt:

(1) The department shall issue medical exemption certificates to persons who are afflicted with Lupus, any autoimmune disease or other medical conditions which require a limited exposure to light, which certificates shall entitle the person to whom the certificate is issued to have sun screening material on the windshield, side windows and windows behind the driver which is in violation of the requirements of ss 316.2951, 316.2957. The department shall consult with the Medical Advisory Board established in 322.125 for guidance with respect to the autoimmune diseases and other medical conditions which shall be included on the form of the medical certificate authorized by this section. At a minimum, the medical exemption certificate shall include a vehicle description with the make, model, year, vehicle identification number, medical exemption decal number issued for the vehicle, and the name of the person or persons who are the registered owners of the vehicle. A medical exemption certificate shall be nontransferable and shall become null and void upon the sale or transfer of the vehicle identified on the certificate.

(2) The department shall exempt all law enforcement vehicles used in undercover or canine operations from the window sun screening requirements in 316.2951 and 316.2957.

(3) The department shall exempt from the window sun screening restrictions 316.2953 and 316.2954 and 316.2956 vehicles that are OWNED or LEASED by PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS or PRIVATE INVESTIGATIVE AGENCIES licensed under chapter 493 fss.

(4) The department may charge a fee in an amount sufficient to defray the expenses of issuing a medical exemption certificate in sub. 1

First of all, we have statute books and know the exemptions. She stated that her husband is a bail bondsman, not a P.I. Your female friend's vehicle was registered under her name. She is neither a bail bondsman, a P.I. and her husband was not with her. Either way, a bail bondsman does not fall under that exemption. The reason she was pulled over was because she was tail gating a marked unit and once that unit turned off that street, she then sped off like a bat out of hell, cutting through traffic. She was consequently stopped by an additional marked unit that witnessed the entire incident. Her passenger agreed that your friend was driving carelessly. She also had a dark tinted domed cover over her tag that made it nearly impossible to read at night.

P.S. She only received one citation for the tag cover. She further stated that the 1% tints ticket could be written, but that her hubby knows all the judges and that "they would just laugh and throw the ticket out."

Just to clarify...

See I was right.

Thank You for explaining the details of the incident. As we all know there are always two sides to the story.. I didn't mean it to seem in my initial post that I wanted to blast the officer that wrote / stopped her. Nothing was mentioned about Tailgating and Speeding and I didn't know that the vehicle was not registered to her husband, since I have always seen him driving this vehicle and not her. The incident was told to me with parts missing (obviously) so please accept my apology .. with that being said and now that the details have been brought to the light, I agree with what was done at the stop by the officer, cause obviously there could have been more yellow paper issued to the driver than there was.

Thank you again for clarifying the details for me.

Stephen Colbert...Great comic or the Greatest comic?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Line
    Thank You for explaining the details of the incident. As we all know there are always two sides to the story.. I didn't mean it to seem in my initial post that I wanted to blast the officer that wrote / stopped her. Nothing was mentioned about Tailgating and Speeding and I didn't know that the vehicle was not registered to her husband, since I have always seen him driving this vehicle and not her. The incident was told to me with parts missing (obviously) so please accept my apology .. with that being said and now that the details have been brought to the light, I agree with what was done at the stop by the officer, cause obviously there could have been more yellow paper issued to the driver than there was.

Thank you again for clarifying the details for me.

No problem, just wanted to clarify the incident for you. There's always 2 (or 3) sides to every story.

Unregistered
    On the window tint issue. In Tampa Florida, is window tint a secondary stop offence?

Unregistered
    Even though this is an old post the info is incorrect. PI's are not exempt from the windshield tint restrictions, only side windows. Windshields are regulated by 316.2952 which is NOT listed as an exempted statute.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Even though this is an old post the info is incorrect. PI's are not exempt from the windshield tint restrictions, only side windows. Windshields are regulated by 316.2952 which is NOT listed as an exempted statute.

You will lose in court, I did .. I wrote a PI for front window tint and Judge Capote dismissed the citation 3 months ago stating any and all windows pertaining to "Sunscreening" "even the front windshield" on his vehicle were allowed to be tinted and are all exempt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast