Sheriff Steve Whidden hides prior criminal convictions
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sheriff Steve Whidden hides prior criminal convictions

Have you ever heard the term: "the cover up is worse than the crime?" In the case of Hendry County Sheriff Steve Whidden we are presented with just that scenario.

Through research, it has been determined that Hendry County Sheriff Steve Whidden deliberately falsified his application for employment with the Clewiston Police Department prior to being elected Sheriff in 2008.

The Clewiston Police Department hired Whidden in early 2005 as a police officer, a position he maintained until 2008 when he resigned to run for Sheriff of Hendry County. During his tenure, he maintained a patrol level position with no supervisory duties.

Prior to being hired, Whidden was required to complete a standard job application.

In replying to question 26F of the Clewiston Police Department application, Whidden was required to “List all traffic citations you have been issued.” He listed six citations including, failure to show drivers license, no tag, no seatbelt, unlawful speed, unsafe conditions and driving without a driver license.

Trivial matters, but a matter of truthfulness and integrity in reporting your background correctly.

Whidden checked "No" on his employment application in response to the “penalty/disposition” section of the question implying that he was neither convicted nor sanctioned on any of the offenses.

A review of Sheriff Whidden’s official DHSMV transcript revealed that he was formally convicted on at least five of the six reported offenses.

In replying to question 29 of the Clewiston Police Department application, Whidden was required to provide any “Arrest, Detention, Litigation (show all arrests including traffic, juvenile, criminal offenses.)” He listed no arrests – traffic, criminal or juvenile.

Not as trivial as a traffic matter, but still a matter of truthfulness and integrity in reporting your background correctly.

Whidden checked "No" on his employment application in response to the “have you ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement agency” section of the question implying that he was neither arrested nor convicted any criminal offense.

A review of Sheriff Whidden’s criminal history record revealed several arrests and misdemeanor criminal convictions:

On March 28, 1990 Whidden was charged with “Driving While License Suspended or Revoked” on Collier County Court court case number 9001562TMC. Having subsequently provided the Clerk of the Court with a valid driver license, adjudication of guilt was withheld and Whidden was fined $55.00.

On March 5, 1991 Whidden was arrested and charged with “Driving While License Suspended or Revoked” on Collier County Court court case number 9101139TM. Released on his own recognizance, he failed to appear before the Court on April 2, 1991. A warrant was issued for Whidden’s arrest in the amount of $250.00 returnable to the Collier County Sheriff’s Office.

Whidden subsequently petitioned the Collier County Court to set-aside the bench warrant, provided a sworn affidavit requesting traffic school and paid $105.00 in penalties. Adjudication of guilt was withheld.

On April 26, 1991 Whidden was criminally charged with Failure to Appear on Collier County Court case number 9102055TM. Prior to his scheduled May 14, 1991 arraignment, charges against him were dismissed.

On February 26, 1996 Whidden was arrested and charged with “Tag not Assigned” on Collier County Court case number 9601542MMA. Released on his own recognizance, he appeared before the Court on March 19, 1996 for misdemeanor arraignment. Pursuant to a negotiated plea, Whidden pled no contest to the criminal offense of “Tag not Assigned,” was adjudicated guilty, fined $125.00 and fingerprinted in open court.

In replying to question 29E of the Clewiston Police Department application, Whidden was asked whether he had been “fingerprinted by law enforcement agencies other than for arrest?” With the exception of his law enforcement positions with the Hendry County Sheriff’s Office and the Albany Police Department, Whidden omitted a response regarding his misdemeanor criminal conviction and fingerprinting on an official judgment and commitment form for the Collier County Court.

None of these traffic citations or misdemeanor criminal convictions would have kept Whidden from being employed at the Clewiston Police Department. All he had to do was properly disclose his traffic and misdemeanor past. He chose to be deceptive, though, in filing a false application for employment.

In his February 16, 2005 sworn affidavit in support of employment with the Clewiston Police Department, Whidden acknowledged:

“I hereby swear of affirm that there are no material misrepresentations or omissions in or falsifications of the above statements and answers to questions. I am aware that should investigation disclose any such misrepresentations, falsifications or omissions, my application will be rejected and I will be disqualified from applying in the future for any position with the Clewiston Police Department. If after my acceptance for employment, subsequent investigation should disclose misrepresentations, falsifications, or omissions, I will be just cause for immediate dismissal.” /s/ Stephen Whidden

According to the Criminal Justice Standards & Training Commission of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, falsification of an application for employment in the criminal justice sector is considered a misdemeanor offense. Penalties include a fine, probation or jail-time in addition to revocation of a law enforcement certification.

There are hundreds of police officers throughout the State of Florida who have been successfully prosecuted through the criminal justice system for falsifying a job application. Those that have not been prosecuted have been stripped of their law enforcement certification. They are forever barred from being employed in the law enforcement profession.

While employed with the Clewiston Police Department, Whidden maintained a position with a DEA task force. The official reason for him being removed was "inactivity and a lack of case filings."

There are rumors as to why Sheriff Whidden was really removed from the task force. Because they are just that - rumors - I will not go into them here.

I have never been convicted of a criminal offense. My record of truthfulness and integrity speak for themselves.

To learn more about my professional and educational credentials, please visit my website at http://www.chamberlain4sheriff.com.

Re: Sheriff Steve Whidden hides prior criminal convictions

WOW.... :mrgreen: WOW :mrgreen: ....WOW. :mrgreen: ...PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS FAIR AND CORRECT VOTE OUT STEVE THIS TUESDAY.....PLEASE-- PEOPLE-- PLEASE......

REALLY?? YOU PEOPLE HAVE TO BE THE MOST IDIOTIC THING I HAVE EVER READ ON HERE !! YOU MEAN TO TELL ME AS A CITIZEN OF HENDRY COUNTY THIS IS THE BEST YOU COULD BRING UP ON THE SHERIFF?? DID ANY OF YOU IDIOTS EVER THINK THIS GUY HAD A FULL BACKGROUND CHECK DONE BY CPD AND OR ANY OTHER AGENCY HE HAS BEEN AFFILIATED WITH?? IF HE WAS ARRESTED THAT MEANS IT CAME UP ON NCIC/FCIC YOU BUNCH OF IDIOTS! PLEASE CPD OFFICER T.A. ARE YOU STILL UPSET BECAUSE YOU QUIT YOUR JOB BEFORE THE SHERIFF WAS ELECTED?? THAT WAS YOUR FAULT YOU QUIT DUMMY! AND TO YOU M.V. ANOTHER SAD CASE OF "OH HE FIRED ME I WAS A GOOD DETECTIVE" GIVE THOSE CROCODILE TEARS TO SOMEONE WHO CARES YOU DIDN'T SOLVE A CASE THE WHOLE TIME YOU WERE AT HCSO! AND TOO YOU C.S. OF GCSO FORMER LT FOR HCSO LISTEN HERE SHORTY BY NATURE! ARE YOU UPSET BECAUSE EVERYBODY HAD THEIR WAY WITH YOU KNOW WHO.....NOV 6TH RE-ELECTION WILL BE THE SHERIFFS AND YOU THREE CAN GO CONSOLE OLE M.C. IN HIS PALM BEACH COUNTY NON PAYING VOLUNTARY JOB!

Quote Originally Posted by winkwinknews
    REALLY?? YOU PEOPLE HAVE TO BE THE MOST IDIOTIC THING I HAVE EVER READ ON HERE !! YOU MEAN TO TELL ME AS A CITIZEN OF HENDRY COUNTY THIS IS THE BEST YOU COULD BRING UP ON THE SHERIFF?? DID ANY OF YOU IDIOTS EVER THINK THIS GUY HAD A FULL BACKGROUND CHECK DONE BY CPD AND OR ANY OTHER AGENCY HE HAS BEEN AFFILIATED WITH?? IF HE WAS ARRESTED THAT MEANS IT CAME UP ON NCIC/FCIC YOU BUNCH OF IDIOTS! PLEASE CPD OFFICER T.A. ARE YOU STILL UPSET BECAUSE YOU QUIT YOUR JOB BEFORE THE SHERIFF WAS ELECTED?? THAT WAS YOUR FAULT YOU QUIT DUMMY! AND TO YOU M.V. ANOTHER SAD CASE OF "OH HE FIRED ME I WAS A GOOD DETECTIVE" GIVE THOSE CROCODILE TEARS TO SOMEONE WHO CARES YOU DIDN'T SOLVE A CASE THE WHOLE TIME YOU WERE AT HCSO! AND TOO YOU C.S. OF GCSO FORMER LT FOR HCSO LISTEN HERE SHORTY BY NATURE! ARE YOU UPSET BECAUSE EVERYBODY HAD THEIR WAY WITH YOU KNOW WHO.....NOV 6TH RE-ELECTION WILL BE THE SHERIFFS AND YOU THREE CAN GO CONSOLE OLE M.C. IN HIS PALM BEACH COUNTY NON PAYING VOLUNTARY JOB!

Relax Tourette's you're gonna pop before Tuesday. Don't forget people can see you and your tantrums on their way to the polls. Your last minute tactics involving threatening officers and deputies to vote your way are not helping either. It just makes more goods for the blog and one more story to tell. Sounds like you're mad Chamberlain has outdone you with the timing on this. Imagine that, you, outsmarted! That and the fact the MANY that you lied to have not forgotten and just gone away like you wanted. Instead they remind you daily that what goes around does in fact come around by helping spread the TRUTH that you prefer to bury. Go ahead and waste your precious last few days attacking the character of the folks you wronged. Interesting point you bring up, TA, MV, and CS...all former friends of yours weren't they? A VERY SMALL handful of former friends too. this really speaks to your character or should I say lack thereof. What's wrong? You mad they aren't playing along? Promoting your bs claims too loudly on their social media huh? Better start self medicating again, I think they are enjoying the response :snicker:

It's all about telling the truth on an application for employment. LIke Chamberlain said, the cover up is worse than the crime. Lying on a job appilication is not only a criminal offense, it can be used to discredit you in any future proceeding. As for a background check, the Clewiston Police Department is part of the good ole boys network. THey tend to overlook things.

Even if Steve Whidden is re-elected, this is going to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Stripped of his certification for bullshit lies, he can go back to cutting lawns like he did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    When Sheriff Whidden came to the Clewiston Police Department, he was previously with the Hendry County Sheriff's Office. We didn't do a background check on him as he was already a certified and employed law enforcement officer.

Relax Tourette's you're gonna pop before Tuesday. Don't forget people can see you and your tantrums on their way to the polls. Your last minute tactics involving threatening officers and deputies to vote your way are not helping either. It just makes more goods for the blog and one more story to tell. Sounds like you're mad Chamberlain has outdone you with the timing on this. Imagine that, you, outsmarted! That and the fact the MANY that you lied to have not forgotten and just gone away like you wanted. Instead they remind you daily that what goes around does in fact come around by helping spread the TRUTH that you prefer to bury. Go ahead and waste your precious last few days attacking the character of the folks you wronged. Interesting point you bring up, TA, MV, and CS...all former friends of yours weren't they? A VERY SMALL handful of former friends too. this really speaks to your character or should I say lack thereof. What's wrong? You mad they aren't playing along? Promoting your bs claims too loudly on their social media huh? Better start self medicating again, I think they are enjoying the response :snicker:

It's still not domestic violence and illegitimate children

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...12020441PM.jpg

OH MY WHIDDEN! Which is it? You change your story over and over and over and over and over............. Sad when print and records and the like which we have amassed over the last four years will bite your memory!

Quote Originally Posted by MrAccreditation
    http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...12020441PM.jpg

OH MY WHIDDEN! Which is it? You change your story over and over and over and over and over............. Sad when print and records and the like which we have amassed over the last four years will bite your memory!
    YEP!! Chuck and Marcie were so awesome they were gone after SIX months....Good bye Sheriff....Tuesday is coming....don't pull a Ronnie Lee

WS: Do you remember this being told to you:

"Sometimes Steve, you do not necessarily want to be in charge or responsible"

February 2009

Got a thousand of them prior to and after for 6 years

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast