Sworn vs Appointed

Sworn vs Appointed

I was talking to a few of your AUX guys the other day. They were telling me you guys are Appointed which the online information about the AUx would seem to indicate. You also have arrest powers only with another fully Sworn trooper. So my question is how do you guys get away with carrying a guy off duty. I know several local reserves for the local SO and PD and if you are a reserve 1 which a Aux trooper would be equivalent to, since they have no arrest power and could not carry a gun unless on duty or with a CCW?

Re: Sworn vs Appointed

Florida Statute 943.10(8) defines "Auxiliary Law Enforcement Officer".

Florida Statute 790.052?Deals with carrying concealed weapons by off-duty law enforcement officers and references 943.10(8) as one of the groups that can be authorized "at the discretion of their superior officers".

FHP Policy 10.02 allows members, who are authorized to carry a handgun on-duty, to carry approved personal weapons off-duty subject to some restrictions and qualification requirements. So that would seem to take care of the "discretion" question.

If other reserves or auxiliaries are not allowed to carry off-duty, then it is probably because their organizations don't allow it since the law leaves it at the discretion of the agency.

At least, that is my guess since I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

My question wasn't so much as to carrying off duty as it was more to making arrests off duty since Aux have no arrest powers?

An auxiliary trooper can make arrests under the authority of a regular trooper or can be authorized by a supervisor at the comm center. Regular Troopers can make off-duty arrests but policy 11.07 specifically addresses off-duty arrests sets specific guidelines. So, if regular troopers are somewhat restricted while off-duty and auxiliary troopers can be authorized under certain circumstances on-duty then it could be within the range of possibilities that the comm center would authorize an off-duty arrest but I think the chances hover quite near to the proverbial snowball's. In most cases, your best bet is to be a good witness and let the uniformed officers handle it.

Who cares about arresting someone off duty.Just protect yourself or others if required and call the Police....

Aux.Troopers are Not fully Certificed LEOs in Florida and do not have arrest powers off duty.

It's completely asinine question and answer threads; such as this, that paint the Auxiliary in a negative light. Why indulge such idiocy? All those "appointed" know what the ID reads. There is no sworn vs. appointed. After appointment a member is sworn in. All other fine details are agency specific and regulated by the legislature and subsequently, policy.

Why do you want to make off duty arrests? I know an A Man that badged someone off duty and got his a$$ whipped infront of his neighbors!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    It's completely asinine question and answer threads; such as this, that paint the Auxiliary in a negative light. Why indulge such idiocy? All those "appointed" know what the ID reads. There is no sworn vs. appointed. After appointment a member is sworn in. All other fine details are agency specific and regulated by the legislature and subsequently, policy.
    So, what is the answer to the question? Are you a sworn LEO or appointed to the position?

It is a real question. Anyone that thinks that "Policy" is the end all answer is way off base. Policy is only that. It is a guideline, an opinion in some ways. The brass would have people think that they (FHPA) have much more authority and power than they really do.

It will be the failings of leadership, to properly lead, that will ultimately cause the downfall of the auxiliary.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sworn
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    So, what is the answer to the question? Are you a sworn LEO or appointed to the position?

It is a real question. Anyone that thinks that "Policy" is the end all answer is way off base. Policy is only that. It is a guideline, an opinion in some ways. The brass would have people think that they (FHPA) have much more authority and power than they really do.

It will be the failings of leadership, to properly lead, that will ultimately cause the downfall of the auxiliary.
    Fully agree!

Unregistered
    I agree as well that policy is at least in part, guidelines. In an emergency I will deviate from policy to the extent necessary to meet that emergency and deal with the rest later.