Exterior vests
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exterior vests

Exterior vests

Looks like St. Pete PD may have started a small trend wi the exterior vest. Pinellas SO is considering them as well ( looks like they may go to green uniforms as well).

What's everyone's thoughts about switching to an external vest here?

Re: Exterior vests

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Looks like St. Pete PD may have started a small trend wi the exterior vest. Pinellas SO is considering them as well ( looks like they may go to green uniforms as well).

What's everyone's thoughts about switching to an external vest here?
    They are a good reminder to the bad guy to make a head shot.

Like they cannot see the outline of our vests through our pretty white shirts?! Oh okay the bad guys commit head shots on the street. When was you last gunfight?

Quote Originally Posted by Not Good Enough
    Like they cannot see the outline of our vests through our pretty white shirts?! Oh okay the bad guys commit head shots on the street. When was you last gunfight?

Seeing the outline of a vest under a shirt is not nearly the reminder as seeing the vest itself on the outside. Especially in the stress of an armed confrontation. I've worn both; the outside one on a special team.

I won't give the date of my last gunfight, but I've been in three of them during my time at HCSO. Was that question just to question my right to have an opinion? You can have an opinion even if you have never been in a gunfight.

:wink:

I don't wear a vest by choice. It's too uncomfortable and hot. I advocate others to wear it and it is their choice if they do or don't. I don't second-guess them and I expect the same in return. As far as outer vest, I would try and wear one, because if gets too hot or you end up in court, x15 clearance at the hospital, radio shop, etc. you could easily take it off and cool down or relax a bit without the restriction of the vest.

I don't want to argue how you can get shot at the E.R. or in the courtroom, yes that COULD happen, but then again I don't see black helicopters or wrap tin foil around myself to keep people from bombarding me with radio waves. In other words, "I'M NOT PARANOID"!!! Cautious, but not paranoid.

Their have been officers killed wearing a vest and of course those killed not wearing one. No, I don't have the statistics and it doesn't matter, it happens. The vest can keep you from general injuries in a fight, car crash, etc., therefore it is a GOOD idea to wear it.

I would like the option of an outer vest, not to say I would always wear it, but at least it's an option. And for the record I have been and still am on the streets for over 25yrs. No gun battles, don't need or want one, but have the street expierence to have an opinion.

Just my two cents.

Nameless, you are the reason I posted this. I wear my vest everyday. I am uncomfortable in it, but I have accepted the fact I am uncomfortable. I promised my family I would always wear one. I think for the deputies that have chosen not to wear one this is a great option. I think if given this option we would see an increase in the usage of vests. With that being said I don't think the deputies that chose not to wear a vest would always wear it.

I'm sure the external vests will be white.

Why do you make that assumption? Hostage negotiators external vests are not white.

Will they also issue ya a bow tie, ****tail and cigar with the new white external vest? :snicker:

Sorry my man but I couldn't resist that one. Haven't been on here in awhile or even spoken with any of my ole HCSO peeps in awhile since I left so I don't know any of the current scuttlebutt around the office. Hell, I don't even know whats going on in the State of Florida let alone Hillsborough County.

That said, I think that issuing everyone an external vest carrier would be a great idea. Do I think that the everyday road deputy would be allowed to wear it during their shift as an option to the way it is worn now... nope, I don't. To many people in high places like the white shirts. Heck several years back I remember when all the young bucks and even some of the old farts who worked the street started wearing back gloves all shift long and it wasn't to long after that trend started that a memo came out from on high that said that you could not wear them due to them looking "intimidating."

It's just my opinion mind you but as long as the current administration is running the HCSO you will not be allowed to wear an external vest while working a zone. You will also continue to wear the highly visable white shirts.

I wore a vest for many years but the last several years I was at the office I did not wear one because quite frankly I made my own decision to be comfortable as opposed to being "safer" wearing the vest. I kept my vest in the trunk and had a black external vest cover on it that held extra ammo, cuffs, gloves, etc, in the pockets of it. Whenever I went on a what some would refer to as a high risk call I would throw it on. I would only wear it during the initial phase of the call and would throw it back in my trunk once the situation was under control and the scene was secure. I never once had a supervisor tell me that I had to take it off during the call.

Well thats just my two cents worth. I am headed to Martinsville, Va this weekend to enjoy some NASCAR live and in person. I will toast a tall cold one to all of you and say a little prayer that you all STAY SAFE.

The uniform company Elbeco makes an external vest carrier that matches their line of trop tex uniform shirts exactly. The vest carrier is made of out of the same fabric and has buttons and working breast pockets. When you put the badge and name tag on you can't tell that its an external carrier. It is so nice to be able to take it off when you are in the car typing, or on your lunch break at the station. They cost $70.00 and are in stock at Patrick's in Tampa. All you have to do is bring your vest in its carrier down to the store and you'll be able to pick out the size best for your from XS to XXL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast