Hiring?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiring?

Hiring?

Just wondering if anyone on here knows if SPD is currently hiring certified law enforcement officers?

Re: Hiring?

I don't know if the agency is hiring right now, but why would you want to work here. Look at the new pension, 1% cola for retirement at age 65. Most of us are looking for federal employment. Those of us who dont had a 4 yr degee on in the process of getting one, and then getting out. The police department as a whole is a good agency, but the penison is the worst in the area. Do you really want to work for 25yrs and have a fix income with really not cost of living increase, or medical? I wish you luck on deciding on an agency to work for.

SPD will become a training ground for law enforcement officers just like Manatee County SO. It is a shame that I am glad I have only worked for this agency for less than 5yrs. I less I am not stuck here, even thou I was hoping to retire here. I have made other plans for me and my family. I have to say the pay is good, the majority of officers are great, but I have to have sometime for me and my family when I retire, and this new pension is just not cutting it.

I concur with the previous poster. The vast majority of Officers, Sergeants, & Lt's are great law enforcement personnel. Unfortunately we are paying for mistakes in budgeting/spending that occurred prior to many of us being hired. It doesn't negate the fact that the current retirement is a mere shadow of what it used to be. No COLA on new hires pensions till 65, no Soc. Sec., no medical insurance plan for after retirement, no matching funds for the differed comp, and the DROP will be on it's way out soon enough. As a previous poster said we have gone from one of the best on the west coast of FL to a sooner to be "touch and go" department. New Officers we come, get their "with experience" and be gone to an agency with a better retirement package and ability for career development. If your retired looking for a good department to supplement your current pension and don't mind working nights for a decade we are the best show in town. Sad really to watch the progression from what was to what we have become.

Quote Originally Posted by 40 and out
    I concur with the previous poster. The vast majority of Officers, Sergeants, & Lt's are great law enforcement personnel. Unfortunately we are paying for mistakes in budgeting/spending that occurred prior to many of us being hired. It doesn't negate the fact that the current retirement is a mere shadow of what it used to be. No COLA on new hires pensions till 65, no Soc. Sec., no medical insurance plan for after retirement, no matching funds for the differed comp, and the DROP will be on it's way out soon enough. As a previous poster said we have gone from one of the best on the west coast of FL to a sooner to be "touch and go" department. New Officers we come, get their "with experience" and be gone to an agency with a better retirement package and ability for career development. If your retired looking for a good department to supplement your current pension and don't mind working nights for a decade we are the best show in town. Sad really to watch the progression from what was to what we have become.

SPD has never been one of the best on the west coast of florida. Thats why your agency sucks, you all live in a dream. SPD has always been a training spot for LEO's until they go to a better agency. Your department over the last ten years have made the news for more corrupt officers then anybody combined in your area. You have more to complain about then just your pension. Your agency is a laughing stock in the LEO community. I thought you knew this but then again your a SPD officer, It does take awhile for you guys to figure stuff out.

Aww, whats wrong tjhooker? Did we not hire you, and now your butt hurts? Or did you not make it through field training? Either way, your lurking around on the SPD site for some reason. You also, have no clue what your talking about. We have never been training ground for anyone. We have lost a few over the years to the feds, but thats expected, and impressive for those guys. However, I can name many people who have transferred to SPD from MSO, SSO, Northport, Long Boat Key and even Venice. We have never lost anyone to another local agency. If you can prove me wrong, name them. And I am not talking about people who were fired, or let go, and then went to another agency. So, go ahead, just one name of an officer who left voluntarily to work for another LEO agency.

The only thing that you were correct about is the ten year slide. But, that is not at the fault of any officers. We had a spineless chief, who was a puppet to the city manager. We had a city manager who does not like the police, and a city commission that followed the city manager. They destroyed SPD, and the name we had. And we were at one time a fantastic agency, filled with fantastic men and women. We now have the same quality of men and women, but the other stuff isnt so great any more.

Thanks for the insight, but luckily my wife has a great job and makes plenty of money for the both of us, I am honestly one of the few who wants to be a officer for the love of being an officer? follow in my grandfathers foot steps, just wondering if you can live outside of Sarasota county and actually take a car home after probation?

Yes, you can live within 45 miles of the city limits, and still be able to drive the take home car to your residence. I dont believe there are any rules as far as living further, you just cnt take the car further. We have lots of people living in Northport, which is in Sarasota County, but pretty far away. Others live north all the was up into the Parrish area.

But, the tke home car program is being threatened by the city commissioners, so who knows how long it will be here.

Awesome, I live in Riverview so that is within the 45 by a long shot....I have already taken the CJBAT/FBAT is that the same as the TABE or is that a different test that has to be taken? and do you need to take and pass that test before you put your application in?

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby jones
    Aww, whats wrong tjhooker? Did we not hire you, and now your butt hurts? Or did you not make it through field training? Either way, your lurking around on the SPD site for some reason. You also, have no clue what your talking about. We have never been training ground for anyone. We have lost a few over the years to the feds, but thats expected, and impressive for those guys. However, I can name many people who have transferred to SPD from MSO, SSO, Northport, Long Boat Key and even Venice. We have never lost anyone to another local agency. If you can prove me wrong, name them. And I am not talking about people who were fired, or let go, and then went to another agency. So, go ahead, just one name of an officer who left voluntarily to work for another LEO agency.

The only thing that you were correct about is the ten year slide. But, that is not at the fault of any officers. We had a spineless chief, who was a puppet to the city manager. We had a city manager who does not like the police, and a city commission that followed the city manager. They destroyed SPD, and the name we had. And we were at one time a fantastic agency, filled with fantastic men and women. We now have the same quality of men and women, but the other stuff isnt so great any more.

Hate to break it to you but I work at SPD...Im just stating the truth.. Its people like you who just follows along saying every thing is all good at SPD...You never want to rock the boat even though some times you have to. Your the type who stands on the sidelines while others do all the work trying to make it better here....You cant even face the fact that SPD is still corrupt now and has been for ten years..But I guess thats ok with you.. The truth must hurt because you still live in lala land..SPD is a laughing stock in the Leo community..Your one of the reasons why we are...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast