We need to replace the firearms training unit - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Banned

Re: We need to replace the firearms training unit

I first worked with JA when he was a corporal (I think) in SRT and I was in the old OCB. I also think he'd be a good choice, assuming that he would have the authority and full support of the Command Staff to move people around. When I left, Physical Skills and Firearms had the same sergeant, who didn't appear to have a strong firearms background. That would have to change.

Are you guy's talking about JR Fernandez?

They mean Capt JA Fernandez

The patrol rifle issue is frustrating. The units that were lucky enough to get the issued rifles came with Eotechs but they all failed and they sent them back. Now we're stuck with iron sights. The rifles were all put together by the firearms staff. Many of the backup sights are falling off because the firearms staff failed to use loctite on the mounting screw. Mine fell off on patrol during use and I reattached it using removable loctite. That 7 foot idiot chewed my ass out for reattaching it, saying I should have brought it back to him refusing to admit they put us in danger by failing to properly attach the sights. The firearms staff should be highly skilled, good teachers, willing to be progressive to new methods and changing tactics, and most of all, have a genuine desire to help officers with their survival skills. Maybe one or two fit a few of those categories. The rest are people that just wanted a place to get off the road with a 9 to 5 and misearble wretches that need to retire.

Bring on JA Fernandez

Oh, and the massive ammo theft issue has been going on for years and is still apparently a perk of being one of the firearms staff.

Also since Capt Jas training the narcotics bur shoots better. Look at the last few shootings here all on target thats why Major Nanney had him do the training.

Well hell, why not just make him Director if he's that big of a star.

Don't be a smartass he is one of best shots and trainers in the department and thats what is being said nothing about director

Another vote to get rid of the entire firearms unit and put in people that are willing to be helpful. Someone needs to check and see why there was so much 308 caliber ammo bought over the past 10 years when patrol does not use anything 308. It wasn't for SRT, they have their own budget. Oh, wait the firearms instructors shoot their personal 308 sniper rifles all the time when the officers are not bothering them trying to get their qualifications in.

I generally stay away from these things, but judging from the last few entries I guess I'd better. I recently attended the last TNT class and was impressed with the overall training given, that includes DT and the excercises by other personnel. The firearms training that we received was the best that this department has ever given me. The old guy (Capt JA) was tough as nails . I had never met him before, he has the darkest and dryest sense of humor I have ever seen , I was OK with it as it used to be that you neded to have a thick skin in order to be a cop. He as well as the crew that he had, Mike Preston, Rene from RDF and the big Israeli could shoot,man can they all shoot and quick!. The Capt and the crew participated in every excerxcise and demonstrated the right way to do them, ran with us, did pushups, etc, and then at the end of every session got down on his knees and helped clean the range. Talk about leadership.
    The range personnel stayed in air conditioned comfort the whole three days, not only did they not participate, but did not help with a single simple request for supplies or even the use of a microphone for the instructors, didn't hear any *****ing from the Capt's crew, as they pushed on with the training. Most of us had to lug from Range 1 to Range 2, then from Range 2 to Range 1 as it seemed that evry day was opposite from the next. Real helpful indeed, the only exception was Sergeant Oscar Pla as he worked like an animal to make things happen. The lack of that microphone proved to be critical and the range equipment kept breaking down, clips falling off, etc. Most of us put it in the evals, but I guess no one reads them. Had fun and learned a lot.

I am out-of-town retiree. I am in town for the next couple of months. Are there any open shoot days for retirees?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast