Unfair Labor Practice Complaint

Unfair Labor Practice Complaint

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 2308070018

A formal legal complaint filed against Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott accuses him of unfair labor practices and violating state law in his dealings with the now-decertified sergeants’ union.

The complaint, filed with the state Public Employees Relations Commission by the International Union of Police Associations, seeks to set aside the July 17 decertification vote and let the union certification stand, or hold a new vote. Other recommendations/remedies include stopping Scott from offering bonuses only to nonunion employees; stopping Scott from interfering, restraining or coercing public employees in the exercise of their rights; requiring that a list of the sheriff’s violations be posted in a prominent area so all can see it, and others.

“We would prefer (PERC) to take the full recommendation,” Rich Roberts, international police union spokesman, said Monday. “We are realistic that PERC may choose some of the above, not necessarily all of the above.”

But he is not as concerned with penalties as he is with rectifying the situation, Roberts said. “I think the sheriff obviously should be held accountable.”

Scott declined to respond through his public information office. The sheriff has refused to speak to The News-Press since Feb. 29 and has issued a gag order to his spokesmen.

The charges in the complaint stem from events before and after the vote was held. The events were designed to confuse and intimidate the union members, affected the outcome of the vote and also violated the sergeants’ civil rights, Roberts said.

They include:

• Several emails sent from the sheriff to staff talking about the pitfalls of belonging to a union, and anti-union sentiments he expressed verbally.

• Offering a bonus to employees just two days after the decertification vote was scheduled. The bonus would be given to everyone except union members, who the sheriff said had “segregated” themselves from the rest of the staff. The timing of the bonus offer was intended to affect the vote, the complaint says.

Sgt. Jamison Lazenby, sergeants’ union president, said in effect, Scott was offering money to employees to vote to decertify; if they didn’t, they wouldn’t be eligible for the bonus. “I think they voted it out more for money,” he said.

The vote was 48-25 to decertify the sergeants’ union after 19 months in existence. Of the 86 eligible votes, 73 were cast.

Meanwhile, the sheriffs’ deputies had voted to form a union in August 2011, by a 194-124 vote. Roberts said that the sergeants’ vote could have a domino effect, and he expects a petition to decertify the deputies union will start circulating.

Re: Unfair Labor Practice Complaint

I've been here less than 8 years, but I have worked for two different Lee County Sheriffs. They look alike, but this is not the same guy who hired me. He's not the same guy I voted for in 04' or 08'.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ofmany
    I've been here less than 8 years, but I have worked for two different Lee County Sheriffs. They look alike, but this is not the same guy who hired me. He's not the same guy I voted for in 04' or 08'.
    How have you worked here less than 8 years, but for 2 different sheriffs? Which sheriff hired you? Your story sounds alot like a day in the life of DB.

Went over your head, did it? The MS that hired me was well liked by everyone I talked to. The MS of today; not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ofmany
    Went over your head, did it? The MS that hired me was well liked by everyone I talked to. The MS of today; not so much.
    Actually we put a traffic cop in office with the hope that he might turn into a sheriff, kinda' like waiting for a turnip to change into a steak, just aint going to happen never ever.