Burglary Chase - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burglary Chase

Re: Burglary Chase

1. Should law enforcement attempt to conduct traffic stops on suspect vehicles leaving the scene of non violent felonies?
    2. Do dirtbags slow down and drive the speed limit as soon as we turn our overheads off and go 10-8?
    3. Would this guy bothered running had he lived in an area that is known to aggressively pursue and apprehend criminals? (obviously we will never know but it's definitely something to consider given our extremely strict pursuit policy)

Here are my responses. Most, not all cops want to chase bad guys. What many must remember is that we also like our jobs. Your departments will not stand behind you but will fall back on PPM and public opinion.

1 - Yes you may atempt to stop a suspect vehicle leaving a crime scene which is non violent. The problem is what can you do if he does not stop. Remember that the issue is not what does the law allow you to do but does PPM allow it. If PPM does not allow it you put the dept in a litigous position. The officers will not be prosecuted for the deaths BUTTTT might the dept have to pay some civil suit - Probably. Can you be fired- Do not get me started but it will depend on who likes you. A great argument is what can you do if they do not stop? Depends on which supervisor you talk to. Some tell you turn around and leave the area. The reason for this is if you turn out your lights but remain in a position to be seen by the suspects you may still be liable.

2- No the suspects do not slow down but remember the issue is not the suspect but you want to remove liability from the dept, city and you.

3 - You cannot answer this question and I do not have the data to make any comment. I believe in aggresive means to end any pursuit quickly.

Obviously any chase where an innocent person is killed is not worth it. However, I do not want to live or work in a society where we don't chase criminals. A restrictive pursuit policy encourages criminals to try harder to get away.
    And to the idiot that is calling people "rookies". I bet you've never onviewed a felony vehicle in your career. There are plenty of deputies around with 20 years on the job and 20 days of "experience". Of course I'll never be able to publicly prove this, but I would bet anything that I have been in more car chases and done more police work then you ever will. All I ask is that you stay off the MDC while sitting on my perimeter, turd.
    Oh, and I've got 20 years on so don't try the "rookie" thing.

The pursuit policy does not mean you do not make an attempt to stop them. So if you seeing the suspects fleeing, you are well within police to try and stop them. If they decide not to then it becomes a pursuit. There is a lot of gray area in this. The bottom line is the scumbags are at fault for the people dying. If the scumbags were willing to get a job instead of stealing from everyone then the people would still be alive. Do not blame the deputy, blame the dam criminal for once. The person who is slamming the Deputy must be a liberal!

didnt the same thing happen to the great deerfield chief when he was working in D5? what happened in that case?

Quote Originally Posted by honet one
    The pursuit policy does not mean you do not make an attempt to stop them. So if you seeing the suspects fleeing, you are well within police to try and stop them. If they decide not to then it becomes a pursuit. There is a lot of gray area in this. The bottom line is the scumbags are at fault for the people dying. If the scumbags were willing to get a job instead of stealing from everyone then the people would still be alive. Do not blame the deputy, blame the dam criminal for once. The person who is slamming the Deputy must be a liberal!
    Unfortunately this is not how the administration sees it. We were actually lectured HARD on following the pursuit policy to the T days before this incident occurred. Chances are they'll be looking to make an example out of some unfortunate soul who was just doing his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Unfortunately this is not how the administration sees it. We were actually lectured HARD on following the pursuit policy to the T days before this incident occurred. Chances are they'll be looking to make an example out of some unfortunate soul who was just doing his job.

If that happens it will be hard to respect the political cowards behind it. It takes a real leader to stand up and say enough is enough we are no longer negotiating with criminals. If you run you WILL be caught and you will suffer the consequences period. I would support anyone who had the integrity and the guts to finally say it and follow through on it.

didnt the same thing happen to the great deerfield chief when he was working in D5? what happened in that case?
    yes it did, but the car he was chasing hit a pedestrian. He was eventually cleared because he said he was merely following the car, even though there were witnesses that claimed to have heard his siren and saw his lights on.

"A resident who was walking in the neighborhood on the morning of the collision told The Herald that she saw a “very fast” police chase just moments before the incident.

BSO officials have declined to comment on the case or to acknowledge that a pursuit took place.

If deputies violated BSO policy by chasing Oakley, it’s possible that the department could be sued by the families of the two slain bicyclists."

To the ones on here just talking like no big deal 2 civilians killed I guess there will be a civil suit against the agency. Let me tell you one thing You'll feel a hell of alot different when one of those civilian members is your family member. Pursuiting a burglary suspect and in the process 2 civilians are killed is tragic and unnecessary. Property crime VS Innocent lives being taken are not equal. Yes as police we have a job to do but we must me trained,mature and responsible enough to know when the actions we take don't out weigh the risk. Innocent people were killed. Families turned upside down over a car burgalry. Give me a break, I think you are in the wrong profession. You obviously don't have regard for the people you are intrusted to protect. Policies are put into place for a reason.To prevent tragedies like this from happening. If you don't like the Pursuit policy tough crap go find another place to work. This is the problem with this agency immature, uneducated not properly trained kids wearing badges and guns.

To the ones on here just talking like no big deal 2 civilians killed I guess there will be a civil suit against the agency. Let me tell you one thing You'll feel a hell of alot different when one of those civilian members is your family member. Pursuiting a burglary suspect and in the process 2 civilians are killed is tragic and unnecessary. Property crime VS Innocent lives being taken are not equal. Yes as police we have a job to do but we must me trained,mature and responsible enough to know when the actions we take don't out weigh the risk. Innocent people were killed. Families turned upside down over a car burgalry. Give me a break, I think you are in the wrong profession. You obviously don't have regard for the people you are intrusted to protect. Policies are put into place for a reason.To prevent tragedies like this from happening. If you don't like the Pursuit policy tough crap go find another place to work. This is the problem with this agency immature, uneducated not properly trained kids wearing badges and guns.
    Please put the blame where it belongs. On the criminal! Unfortunately, the department is a paycheck to the families. The criminal has nothing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast