As the original poster and to help qualify your guys arguments, my mother (over 70 years and partially handicap) stated the Sgt never left her patrol car while barking out commands over the PA system and had her sit next to her in the patrol vehicle without ever exiting her vehicle. I would not say ASO are a bunch of huckle bucks as name calling doesn't solve anything. Was the discretion and tactics used in this case the best? I think anyone with any legitimate law enforcement experience would have to say the whole safety of the officer and my handicap mother walking back to the patrol car along the side of the road is exactly a bright idea. Imagine if a handicap senior citizen was to ever stumble in traffic or get struck by a vehicle? Better get ready to sign a nice large check!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest112233
Quote Originally Posted by lmbo
Attention! Attention! You two in the house. We got a call about a disturbance. Please exit your home and come out to my patrol car and come sit in the front seat. Oh Yeah, please also bring your DL with you.

What a bunch of huckle bucks! Never ever heard of any agency conducting a traffic stop in such a manner. It is sad to think that someone actually thinks that it is tactically sound to conduct business that way. And after your little "Huckle Buck" comment, you completly contradict yourself by linking an article that supports the "call back" method?? WTF are you on?

Richard B. Weinblatt
Everyone who’s been in the popo business for any amount of time knows that the two most dangerous activities law enforcement officers engage in are (I’ll give you a moment to guess)… domestic disturbances and traffic stops. With traffic stops, you just don’t know whom you are stopping. The person could be an emotionally disturbed person (the politically correct phrase for a crazy psycho type), a bank robber, or a little old lady on the way to church. You just don’t know.

Traditionally, police academies and employing law enforcement agencies have taught the driver’s side approach. Slowly, the passenger side approach has also been broached. Now there’s a new trend afoot in the traffic stop lexicon.

The driver call-back, or no approach, is gaining traction as officers come to grips with the dangers of roadside traffic stops. Many progressive law enforcers, such as the 1,500 sworn patrol deputy sheriffs of the Orange County Sheriff’s Office in Orlando, FL, now use this approach.

By the way this is not be confused with calling the driver back while you are firmly ensconced in the driver’s seat. This is a lazy and dangerous way of doing a driver call-back that I would never advocate.No Deputy at ACSO sits in their seat whilst calling back said violator. You have no idea what you're talking about, rook. I was at ACSO for 3 years and they've been conducting stops like this for a long time. However, the later ACSO directive gives said Deputy discretion in his approach. EG: Driver side approach, Call back, or Passenger side approach etc. Take the time to learn what a particular agency does, before you start call people Huckle Bucks, Rook. WTF kind of insult is that anyway.......Huckle Buck? Sounds like an insult you'd hear on Duck Dynasty or something.

The safer (notice it is “safer” as nothing in this business is safe or a guarantee) approach involves calling the driver back and changing positions to have a tactical advantage.

There are many advantages to using this tactic. Here are a few of them:

1) Divide and conquer. By calling the driver or occupants back to your marked vehicle, you have taken away any strength in numbers advantage that they might have had otherwise. If you had approached their vehicle, you would be confronting all of them together.

2) Sizing up. Bringing them back to your world allows you to assess them before walking into uncharted waters.

3) Distance from Weapons. When you call the driver back, you remove him or her from the proximity of any weapons that he or she may have stashed in the passenger compartment.

http://policelink.monster.com/training/ ... call-backs