New Investigation
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New Investigation

BSO deputy under investigation on allegations of battery and falsifying reports

Comments
    3Share
    By Ihosvani Rodriguez, Sun Sentinel
    6:24 p.m. EDT, July 13, 2012

A Broward Sheriff's deputy is under investigation on allegations of battery and falsifying official reports, putting at least one routine drug case in jeopardy.

Deputy Patrick Keegan, a ten-year veteran with the force, was in court on Friday as part of a drug case he worked on in August. Through his attorney, he invoked his right not to testify in the case because of the ongoing investigation.

Officials with the Broward State Attorney's Office confirmed that the sheriff's department conducted an internal investigation and then forwarded the case for prosecution. Both agencies declined to release any details, citing an ongoing investigation.

Topics
    Justice System
    Lawyers
    Prosecution
    See more topics »

Court records made public on Friday listed only the charges, but no details.

In January, officials reassigned Keegan to distractive duties as the investigation continues, said department spokeswoman Dani Moschella.

Keegan's attorney, Alberto Milian, said he knows little about the investigation, adding that many of allegations against law enforcement officers are often unfounded.

The investigation came to light late Friday in the case against Andre Landers, 49, of Lauderhill who is facing one charge of cocaine delivery. Keegan was one of the deputies in the undercover bust.

Defense attorney Norliza Batts is trying to official incident reports tossed out as evidence, pointing to how she says Keegan's report differs widely from that of a second deputy on the August 26 case.

"We have reports that are diametrically opposed," Batts said.

Batts said Keegan's credibility should be questioned, given the internal investigation.

The second deputy, Roger Good, was on vacation and couldn't testify on Friday. Broward County Circuit Judge Sandra Perlman reset the matter for July 25.

Prosecutors on Friday said they believe Keegan is a witness in "several dozen cases." Spokesman Ron Ishoy stated that his office was not in a position to say how many of those cases would be in jeopardy because of Keegan's involvement.

"Each case rises and falls on the totality of the evidence, not just on one deputy's testimony," Ishoy said.

ijrodriguez@tribune.com; 954-356-4605 or @GeoRodriguez on Twitter.

Erikat Pesantes contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2012, South Florida Sun-SentinelAre you a rock star at work? Nominate yourself or your company to win the big award

Comments
    3Share
    « Previous StoryMore South Florida - Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade breaking news, sports, weather, traffic, hurricane coverage, restaurants, jobs, real estate, classifieds and consumer helpNext Story »

Re: New Investigation

It's not new you idiot! Get a life!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest

It's dated July 13, 2012 ... today is July 14, 2012, how much newer can it get?

Because it says, Keegan has been under investigation since January....this is July....or as you put it, July 14, 2012.....Just because your "out of the know" a$$ just found out....doesn't make it new.....IDIOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by New??

Because it says, Keegan has been under investigation since January....this is July....or as you put it, July 14, 2012.....Just because your "out of the know" a$$ just found out....doesn't make it new.....IDIOT!!!
    Hostile! Let me guess, you're a BSO deputy? What a freek show BSO has become!

Quote Originally Posted by New??

Hostile! Let me guess, you're a BSO deputy? What a freek show BSO has become!
    How is that Hostile? I called you an idiot because you were the one that stated it was a new investigation and couldn't see that the investigation is over 6 months old.

If that's hostile....you may be just a little to thin skinned to be in the profession....oh, I'm sorry....if that to hostile for ya?

Don't understand why it's taking so long when there's so much proof of wrongdoing by Keegan and I have proof!!! :devil:

It's dated July 13, 2012 ... today is July 14, 2012, how much newer can it get?[/quote]

Because it says, Keegan has been under investigation since January....this is July....or as you put it, July 14, 2012.....Just because your "out of the know" a$$ just found out....doesn't make it new.....IDIOT!!![/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by chopchop1
    Don't understand why it's taking so long when there's so much proof of wrongdoing by Keegan and I have proof!!! :devil:

Because it says, Keegan has been under investigation since January....this is July....or as you put it, July 14, 2012.....Just because your "out of the know" a$$ just found out....doesn't make it new.....IDIOT!!![/quote][/quote]

Dude, I hope that you are a saint in your career and you never make one mistake because karma is a b----- you Pos. everyone knows the rats in this case!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1753070
    BSO deputy under investigation on allegations of battery and falsifying reports

Comments
    3Share
    By Ihosvani Rodriguez, Sun Sentinel
    6:24 p.m. EDT, July 13, 2012

A Broward Sheriff's deputy is under investigation on allegations of battery and falsifying official reports, putting at least one routine drug case in jeopardy.

Deputy Patrick Keegan, a ten-year veteran with the force, was in court on Friday as part of a drug case he worked on in August. Through his attorney, he invoked his right not to testify in the case because of the ongoing investigation.

Officials with the Broward State Attorney's Office confirmed that the sheriff's department conducted an internal investigation and then forwarded the case for prosecution. Both agencies declined to release any details, citing an ongoing investigation.

Topics
    Justice System
    Lawyers
    Prosecution
    See more topics »

Court records made public on Friday listed only the charges, but no details.

In January, officials reassigned Keegan to distractive duties as the investigation continues, said department spokeswoman Dani Moschella.

Keegan's attorney, Alberto Milian, said he knows little about the investigation, adding that many of allegations against law enforcement officers are often unfounded.

The investigation came to light late Friday in the case against Andre Landers, 49, of Lauderhill who is facing one charge of cocaine delivery. Keegan was one of the deputies in the undercover bust.

Defense attorney Norliza Batts is trying to official incident reports tossed out as evidence, pointing to how she says Keegan's report differs widely from that of a second deputy on the August 26 case.

"We have reports that are diametrically opposed," Batts said.

Batts said Keegan's credibility should be questioned, given the internal investigation.

The second deputy, Roger Good, was on vacation and couldn't testify on Friday. Broward County Circuit Judge Sandra Perlman reset the matter for July 25.

Prosecutors on Friday said they believe Keegan is a witness in "several dozen cases." Spokesman Ron Ishoy stated that his office was not in a position to say how many of those cases would be in jeopardy because of Keegan's involvement.

"Each case rises and falls on the totality of the evidence, not just on one deputy's testimony," Ishoy said.

ijrodriguez@tribune.com; 954-356-4605 or @GeoRodriguez on Twitter.

Erikat Pesantes contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2012, South Florida Sun-SentinelAre you a rock star at work? Nominate yourself or your company to win the big award

Comments
    3Share
    « Previous StoryMore South Florida - Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade breaking news, sports, weather, traffic, hurricane coverage, restaurants, jobs, real estate, classifieds and consumer helpNext Story »
    As a young Deputy in District 7 and IUPA member I am very confused.

One of our Reps mentioned above has been preaching to us to vote no on the survey and 10th step increase.

I feel everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don't think it should be forced on other members.

Keegan you did 12 months on patrol, then while in Chicago on job time you beat your sister. You are lucky she did not show up to court. I don't want a coward who beats women telling me how to vote.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    As a young Deputy in District 7 and IUPA member I am very confused.

One of our Reps mentioned above has been preaching to us to vote no on the survey and 10th step increase.

I feel everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don't think it should be forced on other members.

Keegan you did 12 months on patrol, then while in Chicago on job time you beat your sister. You are lucky she did not show up to court. I don't want a coward who beats women telling me how to vote.
    As an Iupa member who supports the idea who ever posted this is stretching on this one

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast