Okaloosa Info

Thread: Okaloosa Info

Unhappy Okaloosa Info

I'm ging through the hiring process now; have 28 years behind me from out of state and took the EOT. My family is from East Coast Florida, but I like the panhandle much better. More original people, you don't see many retiring to Jackson County or even Okaloosa.
    While I'm waiting, I know forums sometimes draw the ire of some, but I need some things to think about before signing on the line, I know there's a PT test on that obstacle course 2x's a year (already had to do that). The sheriff seems progressive, there seems to be a ton of traffic in the Southern end of the county, I guess tourists and military mix.
    So give me the food for thought about the agency, lifestyle, benefits of working there (or not). It definitely seems way busier than I thought. I'm in good shape still, can handle myself but Like anyone else my age I creak a lot more then at 21. I would be living alone (don't want to talk about that), so I'd be relocating from Pennsylvania; so what's the COL?
    I'm not interested in the retirement bennies and all, just the type of agency, sheriff, the type of living, etc..
    Thanks

Re: Okaloosa Info

Its great if you want to work for a very political, good ole boy style sheriffs office. They are a bunch of cowboys who like to pad their stats (calls for service), and have their fingers in on everything in the county. Other than that they are great!