Hendry County History Lesson
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hendry County History Lesson

In 2004, current Chief Deputy Kevin Nelson received 528 votes in the Republican Primary, losing to Ronnie Lee who went on to win the General Election and serve his second, although non-consecutive term as Sheriff.

In the 2008 primary, "Republican Candidate" Nelson received 371 Votes, losing again to Ronnie Lee and Rick Hornsby. Two days after the primary, he took out a full-paged add in the local papers, supporting the Democratic Candidate and his current "boss," Steve Whidden. In exchange for the promise of his whopping 371 votes, Nelson was brought on board as a Lieutenant under the Whidden administration until six months into the first year in office, Whidden fired then Chief Deputy Chuck Powell. (The circumstances of which are a whole other true story for some time later on.) Then, by the magic wand method of promotional assesment, Nelson was made the new Chief where he currently sits (in the dark many would add).

Since being appointed Chief, Nelson's son-in-law was hired as the Technology Manager and he just happens to be the 3rd highest paid member of the HCSO, right behind Whidden and Nelson and over all other sworn members of the agency. Next comes the new jail captain from Nelson's former agency - Collier County SO, who doesn't live in Hendry county, has no community ties and who's sole "investment" in Hendry county may consist of the occasional lunch. Of course, SW has final approval over these hires but it's apparent that he has turned over all decision making to Nelson. In essence, for 371 votes, Nelson has assumed the role of the de facto Sheriff of Hendry County and that is not what the citizens of this county voted for in 2008. The voters spoke very clearly, too bad the sheriff didn't listen.

Re: Hendry County History Lesson

In the previous postings support, one would like to add that Mr. Nelson also is a Realtor in LaBelle. He still conducts his viewings and business during the day while also attempting to be in charge of the sheriff department.

He ran for sheriff and each of those times was overheard as saying he would do anything to become sheriff because the land sales were in the mud due to the market upheaval. His "technology manager" relative was brought over from a company in Fort Myers, and has no clue what is going on in that field in Hendry County.

Always a republican, (of course Steve Whidden is a republican in democrat clothing and has stated such over and over again. That is why his support and financier Max and his wife Susan are large contributors and that is why Susan enjoys a Lt job and payrate) Nelson came from Collier S.O. after retirement. He doesn't connect with his troops, you can never find him. And has no loyalties other than his own agenda.

Recently all dispatchers were victorious in getting monies awarded due to improper scheduling of shifts and requiring them to work 12 hour shifts without overtime. This caught up to them and bit Nelson and Whidden and now have to payout a huge sum of monies divided up among all the dispatchers as they are all claim to the award.

In addition Nelson publicly stated it was due to Powell and VanDHuynslager that this occurred. Keep in mind both Powell and VanDHuynslager have been gone for over 3 years! How low can you possibly get and try to remain as if you have a shred of credibility or integrity. Is that the best you can do Kevin? IF this was true, it wasn't changed as soon as they left by you or Whidden? It took three years more and a threat of court to make you both change it? What is the real story here?

Well it didn't sit right with the present and former dispatchers either. Because now they have publicly supported both Powell and VanDHuynslager and have stated such on various public forums as well as word of mouth.

Pretty bad when you have to reach in your pocket to pull out a stupid excuse for your inept and bad decision making skills that backfire.

Real estate should be your main source of income because soon it will be your only source of income.

Ah i read a few FB posts already in support!

Dispatchers rock and they are pissed.............

WHIDDEN AND NELSON ARE SO FULL OF IT! THE LITTLE SHERIFF COMES IN AND STRUTS AROUND LIKE HE IS SO WONDERFUL. GAG. AND WE NEVER EVER SEE NELSON.

IT WENT DOWNHILL WHEN THEY LEFT. NOT BEFORE!

"Dispatchers are a DIME a DOZEN"

according to our administration

I know for a fact that there were 2 ex dispatchers that contacted a lawyer in reference to the 12 hour shifts. Because of that all the other dispatchers were paid what was owed. Nelson did say that he was ashamed that he had to pay out this money because of something Powell and Vandhuynslager caused. I guess passing the buck off to someone who isn’t there anymore is easier than admitting to their own faults. You know the Sheriff knew exactly what was going on and he didn’t care because what was told to the Dispatchers was that because they were working in Law Enforcement they were not eligible of OT. HAHAHAHAHAHA obviously someone didn’t believe the story: it might have taken them getting fired (because these dispatchers spoke up when something was wrong or made complaints) to push the issue. This Sheriff Dept broke the LAW!!!! WOW isn’t that something? A Law Enforcement Agency breaking the Law and knowing that they were all along!

Considering I work here and have heard Whidden personally on several occasions blame others (Ronnie Lee, Devon Land, Nick Smith, Karson Turner, Judy KKorf, the county and city commissioners, Chief Powell, and Major VanDHuynslager to name a few) it doesn't surprise me that he or Nelson would have said this. I will be so glad when this is over and we have a new boss. I don't care who it is at this point, just as long as we get rid of everyone at the rank of Sgt and above. 10-48 491???? BUDDY?????

he has made those statements everywhere. making fun of people, immitating them, mocking, and even when those people are present he will do something when they look away and straighten up when they look back.

that and his off color obama jokes, and similar racist comments and slurs.

he will reap the benefits very soon. turns my stomach that he is supposed to be professional. but hey everybody likes me is his attitude. well we are all not stupid. we know when to lie and when not to.

right? just like you do WS. try to just once think in your brain that maybe just maybe the information that people give or say to you is bogus?

I am glad to see they are getting what they deserve. Good for them. Some other people are going to "get theres" soon too. Vote correctly people. :wink:

[quote="Guest"]he has made those statements everywhere. making fun of people, immitating them, mocking, and even when those people are present he will do something when they look away and straighten up when they look back.

Thats what happens when you put a kid in charge of adults. His immaturity is legendary.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast