Found this in my inbox. - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: found this in my inbox.

It would seem to me that a union so recently voted in to a department that has never had one would make a significant effort to communicate with its members and potential members. The non-members are not going to show up at a meeting because they are afraid of the moles who take secret attendance and share it with Command Staff. Call them cowards if you want but the union vote was far from unanimous and few feel like taking any risks in these economic times. At best, they are neutral toward the union. It is up to the union leadership to convince this group...and the current members... that the union is relevant to the average deputy's future. If the union wants these deputies as members, they have to make the sale. Criticizing them for not coming to a meeting is not the way to get them excited about shelling out scarce dollars to what is so far perceived as an invisible and inert entity. The fact that the Sergeants' union is facing decertification shows they are not making much of an impression at that level. I would wager the same attitude prevails at the Deputy level.

It would be no strain to put together a union newsletter discussing issues and developments, and send it out weekly to deputies via E mail.

Linebacker you make a good point. Someone should suggest this to our union.

The union and the SO made an agreement that contract negotiations would not be discussed openly. This was because the news papers would nit pick every single line item. I think at that point the union was thinking that the admin would actually negotiate something in good faith.

This I can tell you, the contract is near complete and will be going to impass soon. It is not a short process, you can't just write things down, they must provide reasons for why you want these things and what other agencies contracts unclude. When your talking hundreds of pages, it's not a small task. Every line item must be tabled with the admin.

It seems a very few deputies (and admin) have been promised things if they get rid of the union. You must ask yourself this: Why would they want the union gone if they are sure the union is not going to accomplish anything? Why wouldn't they just wait it out?

I will tell you this, firings have been reduced to only deputies that were involved in crimes. No more, B.S. firings. The only one I can recall, he wasn't a union member.

Before the union, everytime I opened my email, someone was getting fired for next to nothing. The admin was talking about firing people that couldn't complete a physical fitness test and there was no hope in site for a step plan, raise or anything.

Know that the admin posts on this website. It is NOT your zone partner that doesn't want the union. It is the admin and a few lazy MF'ers that have been promised Sgt. and special favors.

I think a monthly newsletter from the union would suffice to keep the members informed. The letter can include # of members, fiscal balance, and meeting information. The contract negotiations are gagged, as agreed by both sides, but something to let the deputies know how the process is going would help.

@ Voter: I just gave you the website to the union where much of the info you seek is available. I also gave you the time, date, and location where the next meeting would be held. Do I need to hold your little hand and walk you through everything you get as a member? My involvement in IUPA is only as a dues paying member. I don't have the answers to all your questions, but I gave you two excellent venues to obtain this information. You are woefully and willfully ignorant and should not be on ANY committee to bring about ANYTHING related to IUPA.

We are very familiar with the web site. I especially like the comment the during the meeting that "not one question was received from members or non-members regarding candidate interviews.". Why the need to cover you asses? It's no wonder that "members expressed fear of retaliation by the current administration" when you spend all day posting libelous nonsense on this forum. Yet another questionable union practice. So, what flavor of kool-aid does the union prefer?

Honestly Quipa; I surely hope you are not an LEO working alongside any of us on the road. TF decided to run for the position of Sheriff, yet the items you post on this site make it appear he took out one of your family members. We all have our differences in opinion, however I hope to trust all of my co-workers when the stuff hits the fan on the street. With that amount of apparent hatred in your head, someone missed something on the background check.

Quote Originally Posted by Voter
    I am on the committee to bring about a vote. If you are so sure your majority will prevail then you should be encouraging this vote. It would only make your cause that much stronger. After all, if we lose this vote we will be stuck your contract for 3 years with no recourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Challenge
    I am on the committee to bring about a vote. If you are so sure your majority will prevail then you should be encouraging this vote. It would only make your cause that much stronger. After all, if we lose this vote we will be stuck your contract for 3 years with no recourse.
    The folks trying to petition for a PERC vote would have so much more credibility if they actually knew what they are talking about. It's immediately clear when you listen to them or read their emails that they simply don't understand the function collective bargaining in the public sector. It's a little sad because they are really trying to sound informed, but it just doesn't come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Challenge
    It's also a little suspicious that they ("The Committee") are hiding from the union board members instead of voicing their concerns and trying to educate themselves. Makes you wonder what the real motivation is.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast