Carrying in NY

Thread: Carrying in NY

Carrying in NY

Where in NY can law enforcement from other states NOT carry? I'm going to be visiting NY for a weekend and visiting some of the local places like the Statute of Liberty, Ground Zero, Times Square, etc... where in NYC can I NOT carry as a police officer in another state?

Thank you for your time. Be safe.

-Jackson

Re: Carrying in NY

Sorry but you cannot carry a fire arm anywhere with in NYC that means leave your gun home. The NYPD will protect you. Your FDLE certification in worthless in NYC.

Ummmm... I REALLY hope your NOT a cop because that isn't true AT ALL! Any law enforcement officer can carrying anywhere within the United States.

LEOSA is a federal law that exempts qualified current law enforcement officers and “qualified retired law enforcement officers” from state laws and local ordinances prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons (excluding machine guns, silencers, and destructive devices) (18 USC §§ 926B and 926C, as amended by PL 111-272).

Under LEOSA, qualified law enforcement officers may carry concealed weapons anywhere in the country subject to two limitations. Private property owners may restrict or prohibit such weapons on their property and states may restrict or prohibit them in or on state or local government property, installations, buildings, bases, or parks (18 USC § 926C(e), as amended by PL 111-272). Also, the act does not supersede federal laws governing the carrying of firearms on aircraft or federal property or in federal buildings or national parks.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-85
    Sorry but you cannot carry a fire arm anywhere with in NYC that means leave your gun home. The NYPD will protect you. Your FDLE certification in worthless in NYC.
    I think that anyone including civilians who are law abiding and have a concealed weapons permit should be able to carry in New York City. And as far as NYPD protecting me, I rather shoot my attacker and wait 3 hours for NYPD to arrive and remove his dead body from the sidewalk, rather than wait 3 hours for NYPD after being attacked.

Also you probably have not H.R.218: The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004. This law allows full time and retired law enforcement officers to carry nationwide.

I am a retired LEO and qualify as required for LEOSA each year. It is specifically told to all present that even though the law is a FEDERAL law, NYC, NY State, Chicago and Illinois will not recognize the law and WILL arrest you.

Also, as of last week, it was reviewed by the US Supreme Court (no fanfare due to Obamacare) that retired LEO (under 218) cannot carry a firearm in ANY school, public or private. This was sent from my LEOSA range instructor.

I carried in NYC and had numerous contacts with NYPD. They are very pro LEO and probably do more for current and retired LES's than alot of other agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Just so ya know
    I am a retired LEO and qualify as required for LEOSA each year. It is specifically told to all present that even though the law is a FEDERAL law, NYC, NY State, Chicago and Illinois will not recognize the law and WILL arrest you.

Also, as of last week, it was reviewed by the US Supreme Court (no fanfare due to Obamacare) that retired LEO (under 218) cannot carry a firearm in ANY school, public or private. This was sent from my LEOSA range instructor.
    Yep, it is quite likely that some jurisdictions will arrest you for carrying although they know they will lose in court if it goes to trial. But that's the point. It will cost YOU a lot of time, inconvenience and money to beat the charge in court. Do you have the up front money to go through this, even though you might sue them civilly later? Probably not.

I worked as a federal LEO for years with a couple of federal LEOs who were ex NYPD and you couldn't find nicer guys. But every LEO is a different individual. You might run afoul of one of the bad ones.