Too old?

Thread: Too old?

Too old?

Afternoon gentlemen (and ladies too, probably)
    I just wanted to see if I can't get a couple opinions on some things.
    I'm in Afghanistan, presently. I come home around the October timeframe and I'm looking to hop into the Academy for the November class. I am 33 now, turning 34 in August. I'm just wondering, since it takes approx 6 months to complete the academy, and up to a year, it seems, to get hired by TPD, am I gonna be just plain too damn old? I don't know if there's an unofficial age limit for hiring, but just in your opinion, am I starting too late? I'm in pretty decent shape (I am a soldier after all, so I have to maintain SOME standards) but career planning-wise and all, should I hang up this dream?

I've done about 14 years in the Army, turned a wrench on helicopters as a contractor, etc. I just really want to do this. My squad leader who's about a year younger than me has been with TPD for going on 2 years. I haven't really bent his ear on this too much, I'm just looking for outside opinions.

I figure I'm not gonna be happy unless SOMEBODY is trying to kill me. (Totally a joke, BTW, don't bite my head off) I have no illusions its like it is on TV or the big screen, it just seems like an honorable, exciting, good-guy sort of career to have, and the natural continuation of my post-army life.
    But I've been wrong before.
    Opinions?

Re: Too old?

You are not too old. TPD is a good agency to work for and if you are a sound applicant you can be hired easily. It takes at least 6 months to get hired depending on how much background you do have....Good Luck to you and thank you for your service.

It is not glamorous and I'm sure you being in the military know that the good guys don't always win. Police work is hard on the body and mind, but can be just as rewarding depending on the kind of person you are to begin with. I would bend the shit out of my friends ear, that is already here. Not everyone that is on this site is Law Enforcement so take advice with a grain of salt.

You are definitely not too old. We have lots of officers who have some "life experience" when they come on, which is a good thing in my opinion.

One piece of advice: do as many ride-alongs as you can, with us and with HCSO and any other agency you might be interested in. It will help you get a feel for which is the best fit for you.

Thank you very much gentlemen. Some sound advice that I will definitely be following up on.

You also could buy back 5 years of your military service and apply it to your TPD retirement. So you will be ahead of the game if you chose to go that route. Good luck Sir and thank you for your service!

Why would you not stick it out in the military for another 6 years and get your military retirement which I believe is 50% pay. Am I right or has the military changed way more than I realize. How much longer do you have in Afshitastan? Couldn't you finish your last 6 years on a post in the lower 48? I assuming you have 14 years active duty. FYI, 33 is old to a 21 year old. 33 is quite young to the rest of us.