Selection Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Selection Results

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back once the selection board is complete? Waiting anxiously to hear something.

Re: Selection Results

You might be waiting a while since we aren't starting another law enforcement class until after the RNC which is at the end of August.

When is the selection board?

After the background investigation and the in home interview?

Any idea when the next selection board is?

The RNC is at the end of August. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't hear anything until after that date since the next SOT class wouldn't start until September at the earliest.

I'm just confused by this, everyone says you guys are short staffed critically and then they don't do any classes for close to half a year? :?

There's a class graduating on Friday and another graduating in August, so there isn't too much of a gap. It appears planned that there would be no classes currently in session during the RNC due to the absolute strain on resources for the event.

However, I've heard over and over that the current philosophy is that we'd rather be short-staffed with well-qualified deputies than to be fully staffed with average or sub-par deputies. I think it's an excellent principle, but at the same time I sometimes wish I had more zone partners out there. We're definitely short on the road, but at the same time I'd hate to see them sacrifice quality for more bodies so I'm happy with the current philosophy.

Trust me when I tell you this... if you are passionate about this career you will have no problems with being selected by us. It seems they do a great job of selecting qualified candidates who have the motivation and dedication to succeed through the entire process from bootcamp, to academy, to module, and beyond. It is a stressful and difficult process, but so worth it when your family pins on your badge at the end of the process.

I love working for the agency and don't let the trolls that sometimes frequent this site to ruin your view on HCSO or law enforcement in general. Keep in contact with your background investigator and show a sincere interest in this career. You shouldn't have any problems if everything else regarding your application checks out.

I really appreciated your post, definitely set my nerves at ease. I really appreciate it.

Back to waiting, stay safe and hope to be there soon

The so called trolls as mentioned above, do a good job of keeping it real. The fact of the matter is that there are many positives and negatives to this job right now. You have to weigh both sides and make a decision on whether the many sacrifices at this office are worth it to you and your family. I think one of the biggest factors involved is that you will now have to work 10 MORE YEARS in order to retire as compared to many other agencies, like Tampa Police Dept for example. Ten years may not seem like a long time when you are young, but as you get older and the normal burn out and stress caused by this job & office take its effect on you, only then will you understand just how incredibly longer the last 10 years can be on you and your lovething elsed ones. By then there should at least be a changing of the upper command and maybe some of the never ending tensions they seem to cause will have subsided and things may hopefully beging to put the deputies first again. Way too much politics and one sided decision making has created hard times for many at the office. So much so that folks are retiring in droves in order to get away from the stress and back stabbing at seemingly every turn now. This is a honorable profession that used to reward those who worked hard at fighting crime and making the community a safer place to live. Currently, it's as though everything and anything else matters more then being a good cop. Goodluck in whatever direction you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    There's a class graduating on Friday and another graduating in August, so there isn't too much of a gap. It appears planned that there would be no classes currently in session during the RNC due to the absolute strain on resources for the event.

However, I've heard over and over that the current philosophy is that we'd rather be short-staffed with well-qualified deputies than to be fully staffed with average or sub-par deputies. I think it's an excellent principle, but at the same time I sometimes wish I had more zone partners out there. We're definitely short on the road, but at the same time I'd hate to see them sacrifice quality for more bodies so I'm happy with the current philosophy.

Trust me when I tell you this... if you are passionate about this career you will have no problems with being selected by us. It seems they do a great job of selecting qualified candidates who have the motivation and dedication to succeed through the entire process from bootcamp, to academy, to module, and beyond. It is a stressful and difficult process, but so worth it when your family pins on your badge at the end of the process.

I love working for the agency and don't let the trolls that sometimes frequent this site to ruin your view on HCSO or law enforcement in general. Keep in contact with your background investigator and show a sincere interest in this career. You shouldn't have any problems if everything else regarding your application checks out.
    Guest, I want to applaud you for the positive outlook and guidance you are providing to this applicant. Yes, we are short-handed and yes it it pretty hard to get on but it is a great agency with many dedicated people. It's refreshing to hear a positive voice on this forum every now and then. This job isn't for everyone, nor is HCSO. For those who continue to bash our agency, turn your papers in and move on. You won't be missed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast