Ed Pope's Article Charlotte Sun (MUST READ)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ed Pope's Article Charlotte Sun (MUST READ)

Like stated before. Finally we have someone that will stand up for what is right.

Jim

The URL stopped working so here it is:

CHARLOTTE SUN

FRIDAY, MARCH 30, 2012

By Ed Pope

County paralyzed by fear stoked by sheriff

There are some things in life which we should be afraid of and that’s OK. It is entirely understandable how fearing guns, snakes, and even spiders have come to pass from our primal fears and it is eminently sensible to treat such things with a healthy respect. How the system gets duped is to be afraid of things that are less obvious, such as standing up for what you believe. It is only when such innate systems get out of hand and escalate to where they truly become a
    problem.

I have noticed since my announcement that this community has been paralyzed by fear for quite some time. This fear I speak of is one which prevents us from speaking our mind. Allowing us to stand up for what we believe in. Understand that is against the good ole boy system which has haunted this county with favoritism and fear for generations. This fear has spread over a diverse group of people in various levels of professions throughout this county. What is most disappointing is that this fear has also penetrated the ones that most people consider to be fearless. Those are the individuals that provide that blanket of security around this community, which is supposed to allow people to live free from fear.

It’s not a surprise to understand why … when the only laws that exist in this county are the ones that Sheriff Cameron decides to enforce. To be one of his chosen ones, you must put your morals aside and depart from your integrity. Then you are lucky enough to be a part of such an elite group who believe that they are above the law and can abuse their authorityas they see fit.

Let me explain. On March 20, I was invited to speak in front of 60 deputies at the Fraternal Order of Police meeting in Charlotte Harbor. The FOP is the union for the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office. Having that scheduled first, I remained committed to my schedule instead of attending the West Charlotte County Republican Club forum for sheriff candidates. Shortly before the FOP meeting was to commence deputies were notified by cellphone that if they valued their jobs it would be in their best interest if they did not attend. In fear of the possible repercussions, the deputies quickly fled the area. These scare tactics have also been used on doctors, business owners and even reporters. They have quickly learned that this crew can pick and choose who they decide gets harassed and who goes to jail.

I have always believed that a sheriff was supposed to be the protector of the people, a person who serves and protects the constitutional rights of every resident within his county. However, this is not the case here in Charlotte County and that is why I decided to run for sheriff. Can you imagine working for an agency where it’s not the inmates you have to worry about but your fellow employees or supervisors? Wondering who may throw you under the bus at any time just to become a member of this corrupt crew.

This agency has developed a promotional process which has demonstrated that it’s not about what you know but who you know. These deputies are working in a hostile work place with inadequate equipment to keep them safe. They have not received a pay raise for approximately five years. Yet Sheriff Cameron has figured out a way to create high paying jobs for many of his Lee County buddies from his $57 million dollar budget. That’s right $57 million. The residents
    of Charlotte County must understand that all those traffic stops and the manipulation of crime stats are only being conducted under the direct orders of the sheriff. There have been many good deputies who have left this agency because they would not put up with this unprofessional behavior or were just fired because they refused to comply with the unjust orders that they were presented with. Morale is at an all-time low and crime is at an all-time high … just ask any deputy.

My plan as sheriff is to put the men and woman who put their lives on the line every day first and my administration last. I promise to reduce the sheriff’s
    budget without reducing the quality of service. I promise to promote a better quality of life, where residents of Charlotte County can finally live free from
    fear. My slogan is “Finally You Matter” this simply means that it’s not about me, but about we. It’s about people coming together toward a common goal. It’s about creating relationships that have never existed before and setting goals that can be feasibly achieved. It is about accomplishing this without wasting your tax dollars.

If I am given this unique honor and privilege to serve you as your next sheriff it will be the direct result of the people of Charlotte County. Those who have
    liberated themselves from their fears and supported a person who will not only take the politics out of this agency but one who will dismantle this good ole
    boy system forever. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Normal fear protects us; abnormal fear paralyzes us. Normal fear motivates us to improve our individual and collective welfare; abnormal fear constantly poisons and distorts our inner lives.” It is certainly time for us, together to make a change for a safer community. I thank everyone for their time in reading this article.

Ed Pope is a candidate for Charlotte County sheriff.

Re: Ed Pope's Article Charlotte Sun (MUST READ)

:arrow: :wink: :cop:

It could not have been said any better than that. You have my support Ed. I will rally in support of you starting now.

Too many over the top adverbs and adjectives trying to make the writer sound smart. A style all too familiar on this forum...

It does not matter, I do not agree with all of the rhetoric, but the Good ole boy system and promotional parts are very sad but unfortunately very true!

Quote Originally Posted by JM=EP's ghostwriter
    Too many over the top adverbs and adjectives trying to make the writer sound smart. A style all too familiar on this forum...

Unlike you I put my name on what I write.

As always my name
    JIm

Cool Re: Ed Pope's Article Charlotte Sun (MUST READ)

Quote Originally Posted by JM=EP's ghostwriter
    That, coming from someone who sounds extremely jealous of JM and EP ?.
    Ed is out to help our community, you're here to annoy the life out of it.
    :cop:

Jim,
    Can you please put the link for that article at the end?
    Thanks

So if you know of all these things, why is the adminstration getting away with this? When is someone going to get a set and take it to the authorities that can do something instead of everyone talking about it. FDLE did investigate, what a joke. Maybe it is time for a federal agency or grand jury to look into the corruption that is still ongoing and never been addressed. Because of his cronies covering it up and pressuring employees, making them afraid to come forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    So if you know of all these things, why is the adminstration getting away with this? When is someone going to get a set and take it to the authorities that can do something instead of everyone talking about it. FDLE did investigate, what a joke. Maybe it is time for a federal agency or grand jury to look into the corruption that is still ongoing and never been addressed. Because of his cronies covering it up and pressuring employees, making them afraid to come forward.
    something called "sovereign immunity"? Because the sheriff is an "elected officia"l, elected by the people, only the governor can order an investigation. That is unless someone can show criminal intent.

It sux.

Hence the importance of electing someone we can trust. If you want to get Rubino elected, you have to get his name out there. No one (at least most civilians) has ever heard of him. He needs to speak up. Because! We're going to be seeing another $100K of "Cops for Cameron" signs. And, sadly, maybe the same people carrying them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast