Is the Chief of Police Racist?

Is the Chief of Police Racist?

Due to the recent terminations and suspensions of ONLY minority officers over the last year, one can only assume there is some racism within the administration of WGPD. It wont be the first time the Chief has been accused of being racist.

"Quintana, a Hispanic male, worked as a deputy sheriff for Broward County,
    Florida, from 1991 until his termination in 2002. In 1998, Quintana passed an
    examination and became eligible for promotion to sergeant. The district chiefs of
    the Sheriff’s Office were responsible for submitting recommendations for
    promotion when vacancies occurred in the sergeant ranks. The chiefs submitted
    two or three names from the eligibility lists to a group of officers that discussed the candidates with a colonel. The colonel then made the final recommendationregarding promotions to the Sheriff.
    Of the 137 officers who became eligible for promotion to sergeant in 1998,fifty-two were promoted by 2000, when the 1998 eligibility list expired. Of those fifty-two, only three were Hispanic, but there is no information in the record regarding the total number of Hispanics on the eligibility list. Although Quintana was not promoted from the 1998 eligibility list, Chief George Brennan, who supervised the district in which Quintana worked, did not recommend any of his subordinates for promotion from that list.
    Quintana renewed his eligibility for promotion in 2000. In late 2001, Chief Brennan recommended for promotion three officers from his district, none of whom were Hispanic. When Brennan made these recommendations, Quintana was suspended with pay due to disciplinary matters.
    In October 1999, Quintana requested a copy of the 1998 eligibility list from the Human Resources Department of the Sheriff’s Office. His request was not granted and was forwarded to Brennan. Quintana alleged that, in December 1999, Brennan held a meeting with Quintana and two senior officers. Quintana alleged that Brennan expressed anger towards Quintana for violating the chain of command by attempting to obtain the eligibility list from Human Resources.
    Quintana alleged that he then told Brennan that he wanted the list because he believed he was not promoted in 1998 because he was Hispanic. On October 13, 1999, a citizen complained to the Sheriff that Quintana stopped motorists in an improperly-marked road block and called one of the stopped motorists, a black female, a “stupid ****ing ******.” Brennan assigned one of the two senior officers present in the December 1999 meeting between Brennan and Quintana to investigate the allegations. Brennan forwarded the investigation to the Professional Standards Committee (PSC) for additional review and, if appropriate, a recommendation for punishment. In April 2000, the PSC sustained charges against Quintana and recommended a ten-day suspension. Sheriff Kenneth Jenne approved this suspension.

In December 2000, Quintana filed a lawsuit against Sheriff Jenne, in his official capacity, in which Quintana alleged that Jenne discriminated against him based on his race when Quintana was not promoted to a position for which he was eligible. Quintana also alleged that Jenne retaliated against him for complaining about racial discrimination when Jenne denied Quintana another promotion and punished him more harshly than comparable officers for his misconduct. As to each claim, Quintana alleged that Jenne violated provisions of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 42 U.S.C. section 1981.
    Also in December 2000, Quintana responded to a report that someone was illegally dumping motor oil into a storm drain. Although both the individual who reported the incident and the alleged perpetrator were present when Quintana arrived, Quintana wrote in his daily log that the suspect was gone on arrival. The Sheriff’s Office investigated this charge, and Quintana admitted that he had falsely reported the incident in his log. Brennan referred this investigation to the PSC, and the PSC recommended that Quintana be terminated. After a May 24, 2001, meeting between Quintana, his lawyers, and lawyers for the Sheriff’s Office, the recommendation was changed to a twelve-day suspension. Jenne approved this suspension. During Quintana’s suspension, Brennan recommended three subordinates for promotion."

Re: Is the Chief of Police Racist?

I guess the Chief having two African American daughters and a African American grandson is just a cover up? Ask Hilden if Chief is racist. Hilden a white officer fired for making inappropriate comments about African American people on Facebook. Don't be so ignorant because you lost your lawsuit.

Another dedicated one, I see Corporal in your future. You think I care about losing a lawsuit. And what if I was to win and get reinstatement....You think I was about to quit my job where I'm making more in 2 weeks than I was in an entire month with WGPD and come back? The lawsuit was to make a statement and by three officers currently using the same lawyer I used says a lot. My salary immediately doubled so yeah, I had an extra grand to throw at a lawyer every month to keep WG on their toes. Either way, 03/01/2011 I was out of there anyway and I knew that back in December 2010 when I requested my DOR's from 145. The PD was a part time job for me anyway. I spent more time away from there doing what I love to do than I actually did 10-8 so at the end of the day, I really didn't lose anything but money from my pocket the entire 11 months I was employed there. I mean who can live of $1300 every two weeks, that doesn't even support my fashion addiction to EXPRESS. I'm sure you don't know what I mean since you probably shop at Dollar General.

Quote Originally Posted by 112
    Another dedicated one, I see Corporal in your future. You think I care about losing a lawsuit. And what if I was to win and get reinstatement....You think I was about to quit my job where I'm making more in 2 weeks than I was in an entire month with WGPD and come back? The lawsuit was to make a statement and by three officers currently using the same lawyer I used says a lot. My salary immediately doubled so yeah, I had an extra grand to throw at a lawyer every month to keep WG on their toes. Either way, 03/01/2011 I was out of there anyway and I knew that back in December 2010 when I requested my DOR's from 145. The PD was a part time job for me anyway. I spent more time away from there doing what I love to do than I actually did 10-8 so at the end of the day, I really didn't lose anything but money from my pocket the entire 11 months I was employed there. I mean who can live of $1300 every two weeks, that doesn't even support my fashion addiction to EXPRESS. I'm sure you don't know what I mean since you probably shop at Dollar General.

All that $$$$ you are making and you still have time to cry the blues on the WGPD website. Make all the $$$$ you want, it'll NEVER buy you class.

Go work off duty and get sent home. Oh that's right you make to much money you don't need off duty.

I see someone has been listening to some Jay-Z lyrics. Did you hear that line when you accidentally got lost and ended up in D4 because I'm sure you werent doing any cop work down there, you're too scared to get out your car without backup. No more off-duty for me, don't need it. I spend my off days at the beach....and I'm there when Im working to. I know your off day is probably spent at Fowler Groves. Good job keeping Target safe :snicker:

I forgot what a hard worker you are. If only the Coast Guard knew what a moron you are! Go to the Guard site and cry to them. I like how all of a sudden after so long you cry racism. Maybe you need to look into the mirror and ask yourself if you are the problem or maybe if you are the racist. :co

Roger that Judy :cop:

I wonder why he is claiming racism? Is it because off all the minority officers who have been placed in IA over the last year because I can name them all for you yet other policy violations get swept under the rug. Let's just say he and all the other officers are screw ups, then apparently we have failure in our selection and hiring process. It's gonna get to the point that everytime the SAO receives a case from WGPD they're going to dismiss it under the assumption the officer got fired, resigned or is in IA. Personally I don't think the kid is the problem and I'm glad he's in the position to speak up about the issues that's been of the minds of many officers here.

People bash Obama all the time (rightfully so) so there's no reason why he can't voice his opinions about his former department. He has earned that right and has fought for his country so not only him but everyone else on this forum has the right to voice there opinion as well. How many of you can say that and being a cop ain't fighting for your country, I've done both so I know. 112 is ****y, arrogant and says whatever's on his mind and you're gonna love him or hate him. And Judy, maybe you should let the Coast Guard know how much of a moron he is. I'm sure anyone you talk to knows him or knows of him and let me know how that convo goes.