CORRECTIONAL OFFICER KILLED BY INMATE - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: CORRECTIONAL OFFICER KILLED BY INMATE

Flags at half-staff for fallen officer

Sgt. Ruben Thomas

From staff reports

Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:18 PM EDT

Gov. Rick Scott has ordered national and state flags be flown at half-staff on Friday, the day of the funeral for a local corrections officer slain in the line of duty.

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the tragic death of Florida Department of Corrections Sergeant Ruben Thomas while on duty at Columbia Correctional Institution Annex on March 18, 2012," Scott said in an official memorandum. "In honor of Sergeant Ruben Thomas, I hereby request that the National and State flags be lowered to half-staff at all Florida Department of Corrections institutions statewide, the City Hall of Lake City, and the Columbia County Courthouse on March 23, 2012, from sunrise to sunset."

Trust Fund for Family of Sergeant Ruben Thomas

March 20, 2012 / by Chris Akins / Make A Comment / Filed under Blog

As you know, on Sunday, March 18, 2012, we lost one of our own when Officer Ruben Thomas, sergeant at Columbia Correctional Institution, was fatally injured after being stabbed by an inmate. The tragic death has been a shock for all of us as we lose another dedicated member of our Corrections Family. Sgt. Thomas was a well-respected officer and he was known for his hard work, dedication, and love for family. He leaves behind his parents, fiancée, 18-month old daughter, and unborn child.

We will be partnering with the Corrections Foundation to raise money in honor of Sgt. Thomas, which will be placed in a special trust fund for his family. Your contributions will assist the family with immediate and future expenses with the raising and education of Sgt. Thomas’ children. We will advise of any future support efforts as they are decided upon.

You can make a credit card contribution at https://secure.piryx.com/donate/tdxUmZy ... en-officer.

If you prefer to make a cash or check donation, please send your donation to: Corrections Foundation, Attn: Sgt. Thomas Fund, 501 South Calhoun Street, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2500. Checks should have “Sgt. Thomas Fund” in the memo section.

I’ve always been impressed with how the officers and members of the Florida Department of Corrections come together in challenging times particularly when it affects one of our own. It makes me proud to serve with you.

Kenneth S. Tucker
    Secretary
    Florida Department of Corrections

When is this officer services I am retired and not heard of his death in the line of duty in any south florida news agencies of papers please let me know I would like to show up and give my respects thanks and RIP

Viewing was last Thursday and Service/Burial was Friday in Lake City. Thousands attended. I don't know why there was no coverage down south (typical for south fla.), but it was circulated statewide in the department.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12