And the hits keep coming
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

And the hits keep coming

So now the sheriff is knocking the retired captain who had a great reputation at the SO. This ain't Rice or his campaign people talking. This is the currant Sheriff running his mouth and is quoted several times in the recent article. Keep buying the BS. Someone needs to look into his past at NB and see if he did everything exactly by the book. What a joke! Either Tim Ingold or Rice for Sheriff. But not this currant Sheriff or should I say fill in.

Re: And the hits keep coming

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafe ... 218185.ece

From Ingold's Facebook "This from a man who has stated again and again he ran the "day to day operations" of the Sheriff's Office for over three years. Not only is he not taking personal responsibility, but he is placing blame on a well respected retired Captain and the former Sheriff who handed him the job. The list of questionable and illegal activities continues to grow and it is becoming readily apparent that leadership is indeed the problem. The fact that he has now chosen to throw everyone else under the bus will destroy any chance of respect from the troops."

Thank you Sheriff Gualtieri for an honest response to inquiries.

Well respected Captain? Ok, but apparently the captain did not have clue to what his detectives were doing.

Questionable and illegal activities? Maybe, but only discovered since removing the captain.

Not taking personal responsibility? The sheriff is answering the questions and continuing to rectify the problems.

Leadership? None from Rice or Coats

Throwing people under the bus? That would be Rice's crew. They will gladly hang every person at SNB if they think it will help their man.

This ain't Rice or his campaign talking? Yes it is, do you think Gualtieri called the newspaper to tell about these incidents, whch are mostly closed IA cases.

Thank you Sheriff Gualtieri for exercising good judgment and taking a measured response to these violations.

Pinellas Sheriff Bob Gualtieri says the office's narcotics division became "too loose an operation," which led him to launch internal investigations of nine employees, including one who might be criminally prosecuted.

In that case, a detective sought reimbursement for $200 paid to a confidential informant, but Gualtieri said "he never paid the informant." The detective resigned but the sheriff said "we're still going to pursue the criminal case for the theft."

Gualtieri said the allegation would be forwarded to the Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney's Office, which decides whether to file charges in criminal cases.

Of the nine deputies investigated, five were disciplined, complaints against two were ruled unfounded, and complaints against two others are pending.

This is the same unit that has been criticized recently by defense lawyers for tactics in conducting surveillance of customers of a hydroponics store.

Gualtieri became sheriff four months ago, after former Sheriff Jim Coats decided to retire, and he is seeking to be elected to the position later this year.

In explaining his efforts to correct problems in the narcotics division, he stressed that all the allegations occurred "prior to me taking office."

Before he became sheriff, Gualtieri was chief deputy, the number two person in charge. He said his concerns about the narcotics division began before he became sheriff.

Overall, he said, it became clear that "quite honestly, we had a captain out there that wasn't taking care of business. … The supervision out there was lacking."

Coats said on Friday that when he left, "I felt that we had some issues, I had some concerns," about the narcotics division as well. "We were going to address some staff changes. Some were made during my tenure and some were made after I left."

Gualtieri said things have improved since the captain retired in October and a sergeant was reassigned. He also said he has scheduled an "all hands" meeting in the narcotics division for Tuesday to talk about his expectations, including new constitutional law training.

Gualtieri said the confidential informant case involved a detective named Jeffrey McConaughey, who was assigned to a Drug Enforcement Administration task force. Gualtieri said the detective filled out paper work indicating he paid a Miami informant $200 with Pinellas County funds.

When a detectives pays a confidential informant, regulations require that another deputy witness it. But the other deputy's name on the paper work was believed to be forged, Gualtieri said. And the confidential informant later complained to police that he had never been paid, Gualtieri said.

McConaughey could not be reached Friday.

As a result of this case, Gualtieri said he ordered a "top to bottom audit" of confidential informant payments, which led to some other investigations.

Gualtieri said the other narcotics division cases included:

* Deputy Jason Bahret paid a confidential informant money last August without having another deputy witness the transaction as required. He did get another deputy to sign the payment receipt later, as though he had witnessed it, according to the investigation. He was suspended for five days.

* Deputy Michael Papamichael was the deputy who signed Bahret's receipt after the fact. He was suspended for five days.

* Deputy Brian Beery put Sheriff's Office GPS tracking devices on "your personal vehicles used primarily by other family members without having authorization or a need for police action." He was given a letter of reprimand.

* In another case previously reported by the Tampa Bay Times, Sgt. Chris Taylor ordered the erasure of a DVR hard drive seized in a marijuana grow house bust. He had told investigators he gave the order because the hard drive showed the faces of undercover detectives, which he did not want to become public. But an attorney for a defendant in the case has said he believes the hard drive would have showed deputies trespassing onto his client's property. Taylor was given a five-day suspension.

Earlier this week, Gualtieri said he was "appalled" when the Times showed him a court deposition in which a narcotics detective acknowledged wearing a Progress Energy uniform and going onto someone's property without a search warrant. Previous stories described narcotics deputies' extensive surveillance of a hydroponics store in Largo, and how the deputies purported to smell marijuana plants from the outside of houses they were investigating.

Gualtieri said he believes marijuana grow houses should not be the main focus of the narcotics division. "Our most significant priority from a drug enforcement perspective is the prescription drug overdose epidemic," he said.

That article reeks of Rice’s cronies. Nice job continually calling the papers and giving dirt for the sake of putting over your man.

I commend the Sheriff for answering the questions asked. Did you all expect him to lie?

Rice aint got nothing to do with it. I see you Bob followers looking for a excuse to protect him. Its OVER.

Ingold has just figured out what Rice has known, Gualtieri is the target, he is the frontrunner. It won't work the strategy is flawed.

Im curious! has there been any mention of the SNB Major"s knowledge of these incidents. I know he wrote a book on undercover operations. I hope he does'nt have to add a new chapter about how to avoid a IA investigation or better yet a DOJ probe.

Quote Originally Posted by RECALL BOB
    Rice aint (doesn't) got (have) nothing (anything) {double negative} to do with it. I see you Bob followers looking for a (an) excuse to protect him. Its (It's or It is) OVER.

Wow. Great grammar. It sure shows the educational level of some of the Rice followers.

Friends, this stuff was know ahead of time. He needed to replace some leadership out there before he could go public and try to SPIN it to save face. Wearing other peeps uni's has been a normal investigative tool for many years here at at almost every other agency in the world. Anyone who has worked Narc, fugitive, ESU, Burg, tac, vice, pawn, knows this. If he was a real cop HE should know this too! If he's been running the show for the past three years, he should know what's going on. If NB was really that bad, how could a captain cover it up. This whole article is baloney! I'm sad for the deputies, citizens we serve and for our beloved agency.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast