Hcso understaffed? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Hcso understaffed?

We know some older deputies and police that can out investigate out fight and out communicate any young dep. It's not about running or physical fitness. We see mistakes everyday. I hope they remember some of the stupid deputies that should have been arrested like BROCK the famous dui guy who put innocent people in jail and was allowed to do it, no supervision. Some are still making dui arrest when people blow 000 and pass video why are they being arrested. Was brock their fto? anyway Gee is responsible no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    In response to the age argument for the PAA course...again, read the below post. The US military has the luxury of assigning personnel based on their physical abilities (assigning you as an aide, etc.). In law enforcement, THE JOB DOES NOT CHANGE AS YOU GET OLDER!!!!!!! WHY SHOULD THE REQUIREMENTS???????

Until someone creates a way to assign employees to a position based on their age, only one standard will and can be in effect for the fitness test. A 55 year old female deputy has the E-X-A-C-T same job requirements as a 21 year old male deputy, therefore, one standard shall apply, or else you are then discriminating against the younger folks!
    I agree with you that first responders should be in shape to do their job but your assumption that the U.S. Military reassigns someone to an aide or desk job if they do not pass their annual PT test is flat out wrong. I can tell by that statement that you have never served in the armed forces because if you had you would know better than that.

I spent many a year in the military and was an NCO when I got out so I do know a little bit about what happens if a soldier fails a PT test. They are not placed in a cushy aide position as you think, they continue to do their assigned regular duties as well as attend mandatory extra PT at the end of their normal duty day. Like I said, I was an NCO and was offen responsible for a soldiers remedial PT. Although I am no longer in the military I do still have current familiy members that serve in the armed forces that have confirmed to me that it is still this way in today.

The cushy aide or desk jobs are often filled by a soldier that outshines others either by being recognized for outstanding job performance or by being in great physical condition, as in maxing their PT test. This is because no commanding officer from a company CO to a General wants to be seen with some slug by his side. They want to be surrounded by a rising star. Please don't make a statement about something that you obviously know nothing about.

Oh, one more thing. An 18 year old private and a 30 year old private in the military that have the same MOS (job specialty), have the exact same job description and duties. The only difference is that the 30 year old private completes an annual PT test that is adjusted to his age.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nitely Blog
    In response to the age argument for the PAA course...again, read the below post. The US military has the luxury of assigning personnel based on their physical abilities (assigning you as an aide, etc.). In law enforcement, THE JOB DOES NOT CHANGE AS YOU GET OLDER!!!!!!! WHY SHOULD THE REQUIREMENTS???????

Until someone creates a way to assign employees to a position based on their age, only one standard will and can be in effect for the fitness test. A 55 year old female deputy has the E-X-A-C-T same job requirements as a 21 year old male deputy, therefore, one standard shall apply, or else you are then discriminating against the younger folks!
    I agree with you that first responders should be in shape to do their job but your assumption that the U.S. Military reassigns someone to an aide or desk job if they do not pass their annual PT test is flat out wrong. I can tell by that statement that you have never served in the armed forces because if you had you would know better than that.

I spent many a year in the military and was an NCO when I got out so I do know a little bit about what happens if a soldier fails a PT test. They are not placed in a cushy aide position as you think, they continue to do their assigned regular duties as well as attend mandatory extra PT at the end of their normal duty day. Like I said, I was an NCO and was offen responsible for a soldiers remedial PT. Although I am no longer in the military I do still have current familiy members that serve in the armed forces that have confirmed to me that it is still this way in today.

The cushy aide or desk jobs are often filled by a soldier that outshines others either by being recognized for outstanding job performance or by being in great physical condition, as in maxing their PT test. This is because no commanding officer from a company CO to a General wants to be seen with some slug by his side. They want to be surrounded by a rising star. Please don't make a statement about something that you obviously know nothing about.

Oh, one more thing. An 18 year old private and a 30 year old private in the military that have the same MOS (job specialty), have the exact same job description and duties. The only difference is that the 30 year old private completes an annual PT test that is adjusted to his age.
    "ADJUSTED TO HIS AGE" you say? That is the main thing that most of us want to see get added to the new PAA test. I don't care what anyone says, you cannot expect deputies who are now in their 40's to 50's to be able to complete the PAA in the same time as deputies in their 20's. Sure, some can do it, but the ones who cannot, should not automatically be labeled as "out of shape". What happened to the "Human Decency" of this Sheriff's Office? They now completely overlook the "Person" and the job this person has done for the Sheriff's Office and this Community for many years, ready to terminate them because they fall seconds short on a newly designed PAA test that is more difficult then what the State of Florida requires. These same deputies have received nothing but "Good" evaluations for many years and put their lives on the line daily for this community & their fellow deputy, but now they are unfit to serve based soley on a single agencies fitness test? Something is very WRONG with this picture and oh so unethical.

you are obviously a young punk with very little experience. I would love to talk to you when 25 turns to 50 and you are still trying to be MR fitness. You have no phucking idea my little friend. With the huge salaries they are making why don't pro athletes keep playing til they are 65??? u r an idiot. u will get out of shape...FACT. u will not get proper sleep nor nutrition doing this job. like I said, u r obviously a rookie punk!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HCSO Dep
    PvtCitizen,

Remember that this site is primarily designed for the few disgruntled officers/deputies to come and whine about their agency (luckily, I'm not one of those who whine about my agency). It is no secret that HCSO is making great strides to move towards a full paramilitary organization now that our new recruits go through a two-week boot camp/orientation before the academy, our fitness standards are challenging but entirely attainable, etc... I find it somewhat interesting that I can tell if a deputy went through SOT or not just by looking at them or observing how they handle our job. It is refreshing to be part of this transformation and I'll be glad when the slugs finally retire off.

Being an HCSO deputy myself (I went through SOT), I do understand what this career entails and I know injuries can seriously hinder our ability to do our job. With that said, our job can go from 0 to 100 miles per hour in a second and when this happens it certainly helps to be in good shape. The great part about our current fitness standards is that you don't have to be able to bench press a truck, nor do you have to be able to run a marathon or run a 100m sprint with the olympians. In my opinion, the completion time of the fitness challenge requires you to be in moderately good shape to perform the tasks of our job.

Run 50 feet, jump (or fall) over a 4 foot wall, run 50 feet, do 70 stair steps, run 50 feet and hop through the window then do the quick little cone run, push that weight back and forth a few times, and drag the dummie out of the car for about 10 feet. It really isn't that hard, and these are activities that I would hope my 94 can handle.

SOT is now ensuring that us newer deputies and the recruits have more pride in ourselves and our career. I wish some of the older guys had this level of pride. Your personal fitness (in our job) is all about respect for yourself and for your zone partners! I want to have peace of mind that when I call for a 94 x18 that I'm going to get some help from someone who can drive fast and run fast to my location, then be able to fight when they get there. I'll take any help I can get at that point, but it would sure be nice if it was somebody who can actually help me.

Our training staff is the best you can find in the nation. We also have dedicated staff for personal training to help the deputies who can't make the fitness standard. There really aren't any excuses...

No one says you have to run it as fast as the young guys. The really young and fit are running it just over 2 minutes, the majority are in the 3 1/2 minute range. You can take all six minutes. Don't say it isn't fair due to time constraints. The fat and lazy are no where near the time of the rest of us.

you are obviously a young punk with very little experience. I would love to talk to you when 25 turns to 50 and you are still trying to be MR fitness. You have no phucking idea my little friend. With the huge salaries they are making why don't pro athletes keep playing til they are 65??? u r an idiot. u will get out of shape...FACT. u will not get proper sleep nor nutrition doing this job. like I said, u r obviously a rookie punk!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HCSO Dep
    PvtCitizen,

Remember that this site is primarily designed for the few disgruntled officers/deputies to come and whine about their agency (luckily, I'm not one of those who whine about my agency). It is no secret that HCSO is making great strides to move towards a full paramilitary organization now that our new recruits go through a two-week boot camp/orientation before the academy, our fitness standards are challenging but entirely attainable, etc... I find it somewhat interesting that I can tell if a deputy went through SOT or not just by looking at them or observing how they handle our job. It is refreshing to be part of this transformation and I'll be glad when the slugs finally retire off.

Being an HCSO deputy myself (I went through SOT), I do understand what this career entails and I know injuries can seriously hinder our ability to do our job. With that said, our job can go from 0 to 100 miles per hour in a second and when this happens it certainly helps to be in good shape. The great part about our current fitness standards is that you don't have to be able to bench press a truck, nor do you have to be able to run a marathon or run a 100m sprint with the olympians. In my opinion, the completion time of the fitness challenge requires you to be in moderately good shape to perform the tasks of our job.

Run 50 feet, jump (or fall) over a 4 foot wall, run 50 feet, do 70 stair steps, run 50 feet and hop through the window then do the quick little cone run, push that weight back and forth a few times, and drag the dummie out of the car for about 10 feet. It really isn't that hard, and these are activities that I would hope my 94 can handle.

SOT is now ensuring that us newer deputies and the recruits have more pride in ourselves and our career. I wish some of the older guys had this level of pride. Your personal fitness (in our job) is all about respect for yourself and for your zone partners! I want to have peace of mind that when I call for a 94 x18 that I'm going to get some help from someone who can drive fast and run fast to my location, then be able to fight when they get there. I'll take any help I can get at that point, but it would sure be nice if it was somebody who can actually help me.

Our training staff is the best you can find in the nation. We also have dedicated staff for personal training to help the deputies who can't make the fitness standard. There really aren't any excuses...

Thanks for your thoughtful and productive response to my post. I shared my opinion on the importance of physical fitness and then stated where people can go if they want to change and need the help to do so. Apparently you felt offended by those opinions and decided to attack me without even knowing me. Kudos to you.

I'm not a punk nor am I Mr. Fitness, but I am in shape and I do take pride in being physically fit. You should note there is a difference between being physically fit and being some expert Cross Fit athlete. You and I both know there are lazy deputies out there that are complete slugs, but the majority of the "out of shape" are hardworking deputies who have had injuries or life experiences impact their fitness. More often than not this is can be corrected with proper training and a little bit of motivation, which is why I mentioned our training staff (remember they keep bringing more and more people on full time in the training division for this purpose). There are alternative ways to remain "fit" even through injuries, but it does take motivation.

I think the time frame for the PAA is quite attainable by almost everyone. The previous poster is right about the times, and I really think 6 minutes is quite attainable.

If these comments make me a rookie punk, then so be it. At least this rookie punk learned some manners along the way.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345