How difficult is it to transfer from detention to patrol?

Talking How difficult is it to transfer from detention to patrol?

I am looking at applying to HCSO and I do not have the 60 hrs of college needed to apply for a patrol job. I have about 38 credits instead of the 60 needed. If I got a detention job for now what are the odds of getting transferred to patrol in 3 years or when I get my 60 credits? I still plan on doing college part time while working in detention. I'd like to not be stuck in detention any longer than I need to and don't want to start there and never get transferred out.

Re: How difficult is it to transfer from detention to patrol

Good luck with that. More than likely if you want to try that angle, you will have to quit, reapply with patrol and start from scratch. This may be a bad avenue of approach, especially if you are a slug or not liked. The Office will have first hand knowledge from within.

Get your degree and then apply for law enforcement. Don't do detention. You will have to go through the entire detention academy, work 3 years, get lucky enough to transfer, then go through the entire law enforcement academy. It wouldn't be worth it in my opinion and the previous poster is spot on. You might do something in that three year period that ticks off supervisors and then your chance at moving to patrol may be slim.

The word "Transfer" is a misnomer in regards to this topic. The other 2 posters are dead on, You have to be, in essence, rehired if you want to go to patrol from detention. Don't ask why, it has been this way forever......

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus
    The word "Transfer" is a misnomer in regards to this topic. The other 2 posters are dead on, You have to be, in essence, rehired if you want to go to patrol from detention. Don't ask why, it has been this way forever......
    No it has not "been this way forever" At one time you could move over, get a 5% pay raise, complete a few more hours, do your FTO and be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus
    it has been this way forever......
    No it has not "been this way forever" At one time you could move over, get a 5% pay raise, complete a few more hours, do your FTO and be done.
    Yep. Pretty much just as you said. Been there, done that a long, long, long time ago. Going from a jail guard to a road guard was a hell of alot easier back in the day. Hell, I did it so it couldn't of been to hard. :snicker: I always thought it was a big waste of time, money and resources to put a current sworn employee back though the entire employment process but hey, WTF do I know?

For nearly six years, I never saw a senior ranking HCSO official at ORJ. Tshe only thing I knew about senior leadership at the HCSO is the legend that Docobo hates detention. Dont know if it is true or not but his face was never seen there. Now a jail guard with a relative at the State Attorney's office got picked up by patrol instantly after finishing state certification. His previousexperience was as a barber. He quickly rose to detective. Go figure. But YOUR chances are slim at best. Do you know any political figures like Bubba the Love Sponge? He might help.

After your three years you have to resubmit your Civil Service application for LEO Deputy Trainee. Then you get the luxury of filling out the Sheriff's application again and submit all the paperwork/transcripts and records to the agency you already work for. If you are selected you will go through the entire LEO Academy at trainee pay. DOnt bother with crossover because they dont accept it. If you pass the exam you will be moved to step one LEO pay. So if you dont mind giving the agency three years of hard work while gaining valuable experience, the agency will be glad to give you a promotion and tell you that you have not sacrificed enough until you take the pay cut with the promotion (after three years you will make more than a first year leo). Oh yeah, dont forget you have to pass FTO and your probation. If you dont you can always go back to detention (with in the first year) , minus your senority. Not the best avenue, but it is an avenue. It will definitely leave a bad taste in your mouth and your gut bruised, but you will be leo. That is why I went with another department, GO Blue. Good luck.