Sarasota Memorial Hospital Public Safety, sworn? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Sarasota Memorial Hospital Public Safety, sworn?

I was a Captain at SMH until Nov 2012 when I relocated further up state. At this time, the Chief, DC, LT and SGts have firearms, but did not have full arrest power. We had the power to hold in certain felony circumstances like any other but that was it. Marked patrol cars, bike team, and a good working schedule (14 days a month but equal to 40 hrs a week) and if full time 5 weeks a year paid vacation.

Be prepared as hospital security has really taken on a different meaning with the name change. I had officers with 20+ years in LEO that said the red tape with regulatory concerns was more indepth then they dealt with. It was a decent place to work for however, just time to move on.

Captain.

Unregistered
    Just at SMH and saw multiple PSO armed

Public safety officer at SMH

Evening, I'm currently employed at SMHCS as one of the Public safety shift supervisors. Yes we are in fact armed. Our officers are possess not only by the state Security armed licenses but we train alongside Sarasota police department and sarasota county sheriffs office as well. We are not a sworn agency as of right now however our pay scale rivals the of smaller city and county agencies. We do spend extensive time training with law enforcement, and are also trained in the Medical field and with regards to hazardous materials, chemical and mechanical training, etc.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    Evening, I'm currently employed at SMHCS as one of the Public safety shift supervisors. Yes we are in fact armed. Our officers are possess not only by the state Security armed licenses but we train alongside Sarasota police department and sarasota county sheriffs office as well. We are not a sworn agency as of right now however our pay scale rivals the of smaller city and county agencies. We do spend extensive time training with law enforcement, and are also trained in the Medical field and with regards to hazardous materials, chemical and mechanical training, etc.
    Can you tell your officers to stop listening to our radio channel if they can't stop accidentally keying up? It happens once every few month or two and it's very annoying having to wonder if someone is hurt or what's going on, only to find out it's SMH Security.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Can you tell your officers to stop listening to our radio channel if they can't stop accidentally keying up? It happens once every few month or two and it's very annoying having to wonder if someone is hurt or what's going on, only to find out it's SMH Security.
    Every agency has that happen, it isn't just SMH lol. I was a deputy with Polk County SO for several years and it happened quite regularly.

Unregistered
    I've been at SPD for well over 20 years, and instruct a lot of our training. I can't think of a single time that we have had the security detail from SMH train with us.

Unregistered

Pay Link

Can anyone of you SMH PSOs confirm this pay reference?

https://www.careerbliss.com/sarasota...urity-officer/

Unregistered

What do they do??

Retired cop from Florida here, I would like to know what Sarasota memorial public safety do exactly. On at least 2 occasions I have called them about someone illegally parking in a handicap spot and both times they said they were sending someone but no one ever responded. Other times I see them just sitting in a parking lot around the hospital campus, or talking to other agencies near the emergency room. What are these guys just reactive, no proactivity or what? I continue to see people illegally parking every time I go there but I don't even bother.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Retired cop from Florida here, I would like to know what Sarasota memorial public safety do exactly. On at least 2 occasions I have called them about someone illegally parking in a handicap spot and both times they said they were sending someone but no one ever responded. Other times I see them just sitting in a parking lot around the hospital campus, or talking to other agencies near the emergency room. What are these guys just reactive, no proactivity or what? I continue to see people illegally parking every time I go there but I don't even bother.
    I have also wondered the same thing, what’s with the fully outfitted patrol units, and a shadow unit? Do they even do anything to warrant having fully outfitted vehicles??

Unregistered
    They are worthless. All they do is look pretty and pretend to be cops. They don't do anything SPD couldn't handle or respond to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast