Sarasota Memorial Hospital Public Safety, sworn?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sarasota Memorial Hospital Public Safety, sworn?

Hey guys, have a quick question for you.

Interested in relocating to Sarasota. I currently am a sworn Special Police Officer for a large Medical Center campus in another state (We have full police arrest powers and enforce vehicle statutes on our property). I noticed Sarasota Memorial has their own Public Safety Department and they are armed. Are they sworn officers with police powers on their campus or are they strictly just security officers? Anyone know if they pay on par with police jobs (I make the same at my hospital as the city pd) or if they are $10/hour guards?

Thanks for any info.

Re: Sarasota Memorial Hospital Public Safety, sworn?

They are not sworn not LE certified and they are not armed. They carry tasers which make it look like they carry firearms. I'm not sure about the pay, but I'll bet it's no more than $13 an hour.

They actually carry full duty belts, taser, firearm, cuffs, oc. But they are NOT sworn. I heard the pay is good for private security, but I have no idea what that is.

They do not carry firearms, only tasers. They do have cuffs but in the 25 years I spent there I have never seen any of the guards use them. I think the pay is about $13 an hour.

I was there at approx 2100 and the guard I observed was carrying a Glock 17. So im not sure why you couldnt see it?? The SS3 security holster is def very visible! :?

If you did see an armed SMH guard then it is something so new that no one knows about it. I am surprised that there was no press release or news announcement about it.

SMH Public Safety are not sworn law enforcement. Sgt's and up do carry firearms as of Dec 2011. They are currently purchasing new firearms for Cpl and Officers. They are trying to come a campus police department in the coming years; so they say the goal is. At this time if you want to stay Campus Police look at USF or New College. They both have sworn law enforcement and are in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by SPD
    SMH Public Safety are not sworn law enforcement. Sgt's and up do carry firearms as of Dec 2011. They are currently purchasing new firearms for Cpl and Officers. They are trying to come a campus police department in the coming years; so they say the goal is. At this time if you want to stay Campus Police look at USF or New College. They both have sworn law enforcement and are in the area.
    Thanks for the info SPD. Hell I might even apply for you guys, just saw that SPD is hiring. I'm Florida Certified but had to move back to the cold for family reasons and that's when I got into campus policing. Looking to come back down.

The supervisors are now sworn carrying firearms full arrest power. The guard have tasters. The badges are different. It's getting to be a nice dept.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast