Well, it's about that time...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Well, it's about that time...

Well hello,

No, this thread isn't about Christmas, friends. Those twenty or so of you on patrol, take a break from writing your fourteen UTCs this month, because it's about that time to hide behind our computers, and start posting shit that will n-e-v-e-r be taken into consideration, or is that what EAB is for? Either way, I'd like to kick this thread off with a little math problem I can't make sense of.

68-1=67

Now, I know what you're thinking. 'That makes perfect sense, dude.' Well, let me break it down for you: The total number of Officers at PCPD (68) minus the number of greedy chiefs (1) equals the number of Officers getting ****ED (67)! Yay!! I know, I know, if I'm soooo unhappy, leave and go to TPD, or HCSO. Funny thing about that, If a few of the thirty-or-so administrative personell would actually do something worthwhile, they could probably come up with a plan to give people reasons to stay. 'You should be happy you have a job,' you say. You should stfu, and get going on the plan to save the good officers we still have, because you have clearly forgotten what its like to be a 'real cop.'

On a more serious not, here are a couple of simple solutions that might help us. (fiscally, morally, long and short term)

1) Department changes

When high paid Captains and Sergeants retire, do NOT promote anyone else. We have more than enough supervisors. Also, the salary of a new, CONTRIBUTING, Officer is no where close to a maxed out supervisor.

STOP HIRING DUMBASSES. If a person can't cut it, don't waste more money or time forcing them through training. We waste enough money paying Captains and Admin. Sergeants to walk office-to-office Mon to Fri.

Start hiring decent people in a timely matter. Waiting 'till the Holidays are over to save a couple hundred bucks would be valid, except that we just ordered a $32,000 Tahoe despite having a fleet of actual patrol vehicles in desperate need of replacment during a record-low budget.

Close two of the four open positions, and award small raises to everyone. We've been working short for several years now, and we are doing juuust fine. Throw us a bone, braaa.

Return to a shift bidding system. There is NO valid reason not to, and sometimes something as small as this can go a loooong way, without costing a dime.

2) Pension changes

Elect a pension representative that is actually affected by the decisions made. Our pension cannot sustain itself the way things are going. Changes are needed, now.

GET RID OF THE DROP. Goodbye. You've done your time, now hand over the reins. Thank you.

In summary, these are the facts:

- Our contribution rate IS going to INCREASE!
    - The cost of Health insurace IS going to INCREASE!
    - The budget is NOT going to INCREASE!

One of two things is going to happen over the next several months:

Scenario #1 (likely) - We don't change shit. We start to lose good Officers (already started) to other agencies, because we are a stagnant department. We get no raises, we hire second-class Officers, and our retirement goes to shit. The Officers that remain stop doing what little proactive police work they are still allowed to do, and tension increases department-wide, forcing morale down even further.

Scenario #2 - We get our shit together. We elect a new pension rep to responsibly represent the majority, not the minority. We get rid of the drop and find money to give small raises. In turn, we improve morale and attract good applicants. Productivity will increase.

Did I meantion EAB is a waste of time? Enough ranting, back to S73...

Re: Well, it's about that time...

One note to your post good buddy, we should not get rid of the drop completely but cut the extra 3 years added to the 5 year drop we had. Those 3 years added on were only put into place to benefit the Chief. The economy was bad when we added those extra 3 years and it’s not getting any better (actually worse) and that came from the City Manager's mouth and the Chief's. No one in this department has entered those extra 3 years so just cut out that huge mistake. I'm telling you guys right now this HUGE mistake of adding an extra 3 years to the drop will hit us hard when those few officers leave. A 5 year drop is perfect and completely realistic in this economy. Let's not play Russian roulette in terrible economic times with the future of our retirement. If any of those few officers that were in the drop (5 year) prior to the extra 3 years added ***** and complain it should show you just how much they don’t care about our future, the departments or the city. They were already on the road to retirement from here anyways!!!! If the economy was better I would be all for the extra 3 years to the drop but reality isn't so.

I second that In the weeds! Cut out the extra 3 years of the drop. No one has entered those years yet. It hasn't affected anyone yet so their isn't a grandfathered in situation. But you know Chief will keep it for himself some how which will keep it for about 8 or 9 others. He already is purchasing a new vehicle for himself that he doesn't need! The extra money he spent on the Tahoe could have been used to get us quality cars instead of the pieces of crap (Impalas) we are getting. I have been saying this for years but no one wanted to listen but with the last few years the Chief has here you can not miss him doing what benefits him. He will put his motives first and try and cover up what he does by doing something small that will make us happy. He spun the 8 year drop like he was doing it for our future and how we would benefit for it in the long run. Well 2 years later it's going to kill the city. Just do the math. It's around 250k per officer that stays the extra 3 years!!! It's is great for those retiring and horrible for the current and future officers. Welcome to the good ole boy network that covers up everything which also includes our crime rate.

I thought Jim Jones was dead but appearently he's alive and the chief of police in Plant City just drink the kool aid

Well the Chief is doing exactly what we thought he would do. The smoke screen is set! He has approved a shift bid for Patrol Officers. We have only been asking for this for years. The heat is on the Chief for his personal agenda with his retirement and his pension = Do something we have been asking for to make us happy.

Let's not forget that that Officer’s in the extra three years added to the 5 year drop will be getting approximately 250k apiece if they stay those extra three years. 10 Officer's will equal 2.5 million dollars! No big deal right? But doesn’t worry the City can handle it. The economy is booming around town! We as Officer's and the City will be picking of the slack for years, probably for the rest of our careers. If our pension plan is doing so well like the article Chief emailed us says then why are we going to make changes to it and why will we have to start to pay more? Because the Chief will do whatever he can to safe what benefits him and his money.

Every year the City's budget drops. Every year the City is contributing more money to our pension. Every year the economy gets worse! But the Chief does what he can to save himself while dragging us and our future pension through the mud.

A few grammatical errors but I got the point In the Weeds. You are right on the money with the Chief doing the entire pension and drop moves to benefit himself. The position we are in or will end up in, I should say will be evident when he is gone. I don't blame anyone for leaving this department. Hell we are going to end up right where we were a few years ago if officers do start to better themselves by going somewhere else. With a bunch of rookie officers on nights and the rotation bids taken away. What do young officers have to look forward to here? No more Street Crimes Unit (only one did anything anyways), K-9 Unit with the leash around the officers neck not the dogs, 4 Motor positions or a Detective Unit that will only pick the people they like rather than the appropriate candidates. Wow so many opportunities.

Bid wasn't fair for everyone though.......had to make sure some officers/couples didn't get on the same rotation. :snicker:

Prime example of how cheap the Chief is unless it benefits him. Let's not hire anyone right now so we don't have to pay the new hires holiday pay. Let's forget the fact that we need the officers and put it on hold for another month. First phase of FTO is only supposed to do 25% of the work anyways. They might actually help the FTO's with the small BS stuff on calls during the busy time of the year (holidays). Heaven forbid we think like that around this my way or no way I am better then you department.

All shift bids did was make the senior officers happy and make more of the junior officers disgruntled. I would love to be a recruiter for TPD right now. Easy pickings at PCPD. I agree with the previous poster that there is no room for movement here. We have enough Supervisors running around here that no more are needed for years. Street Crimes disbanded, although let's get real - none of them did anything anyway except brag about how great they are. When was the last time you saw ANY of them work a night shift. Guess the prostitutes and drug dealers only work M-F 830 to 500 in Plant City. CIU is stagnant with people in the drop and frankily just because one person finally retired they dont have enough work for eight full time Detectives plus four former street crimes Detectives. Especially when patrol cant even get all the zones covered most days/nights. But if you think shift bids weren't fair to all because they had to move a couple of people around you are crazy. Have you seen the proposed C Squad? Who would want to bid on that squad in the first place. You have about three people that will work on that squad and one is about to go on military leave. Those old guys ***** about everything. At least on A squad, the Sgt runs the squad. On C squad, you have a former Sgt who forgot that she lost her stripes running the show. I would rather stay on nights that deal with that. Bet those two other officers will be running back to nights also in a few months. :devil: Or get put back into nights when all the junior night shift guys leave, because hey let's face we arent stuck here like most of the older guys. At least B squad is shaping up to be decent. Oh wait, they still have the same Sgt so you can forget that. Got some decent people on there but he wont know what to do with them.

Wait until you find out who is officer of the year

WOW.... are we disgruntled or what. Sounds like you were passed over for street crimes/ciu and now mad at the world. Is there anyone or supervisor at the department that you like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast