State says Carter can keep cop certification

From FloridaToday.com

Former Melbourne Police Officer Frank Carter can keep his police certification, a state panel that oversees law enforcement discipline decided Wednesday.

A panel of the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission found no cause to revoke Carter’s certification, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Carter said Thursday that the ruling was further proof to his long-held affirmation that he did nothing wrong in a series of traffic stops that prompted criminal charges that were later dismissed.

“I stand behind every traffic stop I did,” he said.

Carter was arrested in January 2010 by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement on charges related to allegedly improper traffic stops in 2009.

Carter was fired from his job in August 2010, after an internal affairs investigation determined he failed to properly use an in-car video system and for improperly trespassing people.

This March, the State Attorney’s Office dropped the charges against him.

Following state procedure, Melbourne filed paperwork with the FDLE following that termination process, which prompted Wednesday’s hearing, Melbourne City Attorney Paul Gougelman said.

Melbourne officials did not participate in the formal hearing, did not present any testimony and have not seen a formal ruling from the board, he said.

“Whatever the board’s decision, we respect their legal authority and the legal process,” he said.

The ruling means that Carter can still be a police officer, but he said the publicity from the case — which he saw as political retribution for his work with the police department’s union — has made it unlikely that he will be able to get another law enforcement job.

“Who’s going to hire me? Who’s going to hire me right now in Brevard County? I wanted to be out there. When this is all said and done and over, I still want to be a police officer,” he said.

“I really miss being a police officer. I miss making a difference in the community. I miss working with the kids.”

Meanwhile, Carter still has a lawsuit pending against Melbourne in which he is seeking unspecified damages for libel, slander, defamation, malicious prosecution and other allegations.

Gougelman and Carter’s attorney, Frederick Bateman of Morgan & Morgan, said that depositions from those involved in the case are expected to start next month. The two sides are schedule to meet for mediation in February with a possible trial later in 2012.

The arrest drew outrage from Carter supporters, who flooded city council meetings nearly two years ago because of a press release the police department sent to the news media claiming Carter targeted “people of color.”

Carter said people still call him a racist nearly two years after the arrest.

“This really turned my life upside-down. One day, this all will be righted. It’s just sad what’s going on,” he said. “I just want the people in the community to know I love my job.”

Re: State says Carter can keep cop certification

Sad. Carter is a bad cop...Black eye for all legitimate cops.

Re: State says Carter can keep cop certification

Frank Carter was a dirty cop who got what he deserved. Sorry Frank, even sucking up to two different unions, PBA and FOP, couldn't save your job. Have fun filling potholes or whatever your next job is.