Menchel to run for sheriff again

Menchel to run for sheriff again

CRESTVIEW — Steven Menchel is preparing to make another run for Okaloosa County sheriff.

Menchel of Crestview filed preliminary paperwork Friday for the 2012 election after finishing fourth among six candidates in the Republican primary last year.

Larry Ashley, the election’s eventual winner, pre-filed earlier this month to run for a full four-year term.

Last year’s election was held to fill out the term of Charlie Morris, who was convicted on federal charges in connection to an employee bonus kickback scheme.

In a news release issued Friday, Menchel touted his 38 years of management experience in federal law enforcement.

He also announced a law enforcement plan dubbed S.A.F.E. — Service oriented; Accountable-accessible; Fiscally responsible; Enforce the law. The plan will lower the crime rate, cut the Sheriff’s Office’s budget and more, the news release said.

During last year’s campaign, Menchel repeatedly sounded off against what he said was corruption at the Sheriff’s Office. However, he ended up with only 10.2 percent of the vote in the GOP primary.

Also Friday, longtime Okaloosa County Property Appraiser Pete Smith pre-filed to run for his sixth term.

Read more: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles/me ... z1bfQ80zc2

Re: Menchel to run for sheriff again

Hopefully he has used the downtime to develop a likeable personality.

Lightbulb Re: Menchel to run for sheriff again

There is obviously no criteria for anyone to run for such a responsible position such as Sheriff if this guy is qualified.

Re: Menchel to run for sheriff again

Update -

Ran into him and there is still no likeable personality. Zero Point Zero. I hope he does run again. I need the comic relief.